Bogong High Plains region tracks

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: Bogong High Plains region tracks

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Thu 12 Aug, 2021 8:48 pm

I am thinking about coming up to CC hut via Long spur/ Mulhauser spur in early September if we can be let out. Since I have found I can get about on BC XC skis with skins carrying a multi night pack this makes such a scheme quite feasible.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.
Region: Victoria

Postby Baeng72 » Thu 12 Aug, 2021 9:55 pm

I was going to ask why not drive up to Granite Flat Spur Walking Track, but then I thought, probably closed road.....
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Thu 12 Aug, 2021 11:00 pm

GF spur track is locked in white season . The winter gate is located at the Hollowway logging road.

For BC XC ski access the Long spur starting at Mulhauser camp offers a humane gradient , starts at about 1350 -1400 M. ASL and is far more sheltered route for the entire way , all in the tree line. There is no need to put micro spikes on and carry the skis strapped to the pack up the Eskdale spur with an ice axe in one hand and slog it over the summit area.
The summit area of Mt. Bogong
can be treacherous in white season. The surface can be very icy which even with full length skins and metal edged BC XC skis, it would be unsafe for my skill level esp. with a 4-5 night pack on my back on skis.
There are very many fallen trees blocking the way on Long Spur. I have raised this matter with Parks Vic., Bushwalking Vic. and the Bogong Club.

Going up the last pinch of the Long Spur with kicker skins on ( up to near the start of the Pole line down to Maddison hut ruins will be steep and taxing) but quite doable if one starts early in safe weather and allows a full day to reach CC hut. The days are longer in September.
It helps if one has walked that route a number of times in green season.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Baeng72 » Thu 12 Aug, 2021 11:34 pm

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:GF spur track is locked in white season . The winter gate is located at the Hollowway logging road.

For BC XC ski access the Long spur starting at Mulhauser camp offers a humane gradient , starts at about 1350 -1400 M. ASL and is far more sheltered route for the entire way , all in the tree line. There is no need to put micro spikes on and carry the skis strapped to the pack up the Eskdale spur with an ice axe in one hand and slog it over the summit area.
The summit area of Mt. Bogong
can be treacherous in white season. The surface can be very icy which even with full length skins and metal edged BC XC skis, it would be unsafe for my skill level esp. with a 4-5 night pack on my back on skis.
There are very many fallen trees blocking the way on Long Spur. I have raised this matter with Parks Vic., Bushwalking Vic. and the Bogong Club.

Going up the last pinch of the Long Spur with kicker skins on ( up to near the start of the Pole line down to Maddison hut ruins will be steep and taxing) but quite doable if one starts early in safe weather and allows a full day to reach CC hut. The days are longer in September.
It helps if one has walked that route a number of times in green season.

I'm gonna tap out right now. I know what skins are - a cover on the ski to make ascending a slope on skis possible, without overly impeding descent- but kicker skin or knife in the back skin is all above my understanding.
In no way am I disparaging your talk, just indicating that I'm way out of my depth on this topic.
I look forward to reading of your successful (fingers crossed) adventures on the Big fella when we're out of lockdown.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Fri 13 Aug, 2021 9:51 am

The possibility of a lockdown in Melb. continuing until mid September is there. The State Govt. of Vic. is very risk averse . Melbourne people have no great relish for an extended lockdown but here we are again , stuck in the same situation as August 2020. Public Morale is decreasing and so too will compliance with Lockdown NO. 6 rules correspondingly become ever decreasing.
:-((.
LET US OUT !!!!
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby neilmny » Fri 13 Aug, 2021 10:06 am

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:The possibility of a lockdown in Melb. continuing until mid September is there. The State Govt. of Vic. is very risk averse . Melbourne people have no great relish for an extended lockdown but here we are again , stuck in the same situation as August 2020. Public Morale is decreasing and so too will compliance with Lockdown NO. 6 rules correspondingly become ever decreasing.
LET US OUT !!!!

Of topic but watch the numbers PCV, once all new cases are in quarantine then the way out and duration gets clearer and closer.
Today we have 15 new but only 8 were in quarantine for infectious period. The remaining 7 not in iso needs to be a zero.
Hang in there man, no one is enjoying this.
Last edited by neilmny on Fri 13 Aug, 2021 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Baeng72 » Fri 13 Aug, 2021 10:32 am

neilmny wrote:
paidal_chalne_vala wrote:The possibility of a lockdown in Melb. continuing until mid September is there. The State Govt. of Vic. is very risk averse . Melbourne people have no great relish for an extended lockdown but here we are again , stuck in the same situation as August 2020. Public Morale is decreasing and so too will compliance with Lockdown NO. 6 rules correspondingly become ever decreasing.
LET US OUT !!!!

Of topic but watch the numbers PCV, once all new cases are in quarantine then the way out and duration gets clearer and closer.
Today we have 15 new but only 8 were in quarantine for infectious period. The 8 needs to be a zero.

The 8 in iso/quaranteen are no the problem.
It's the 7 in the wild which indicate it's still spreading in the community and we won't get a lifting of restrictions until that's 0.
But, I second your sentiment. Hang in there PCV!
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby neilmny » Fri 13 Aug, 2021 10:51 am

Baeng72 wrote:
neilmny wrote:
LET US OUT !!!!

Today we have 15 new but only 8 were in quarantine for infectious period. The 8 needs to be a zero.

The 8 in iso/quaranteen are no the problem.
It's the 7 in the wild which indicate it's still spreading in the community and we won't get a lifting of restrictions until that's 0.
But, I second your sentiment. Hang in there PCV!

OOPS - fixed it. - The remaining 7 not in iso needs to be a zero. :oops: :oops:
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Baeng72 » Fri 13 Aug, 2021 11:26 am

Sorry for being that guy.
In my defence, lockdown!
Back to making dodgy videos about cryptid sharks. :)
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Xplora » Sat 14 Aug, 2021 6:35 am

north-north-west wrote:The top of the Bogong Rd is usually kept closed well after the bulk of the snow has gone because there's one spot in the Cope/Langfords area that gets massive drifts that take ages to thaw enough to be ploughable. You can usually walk in up the road from Trapyard Gap in September.

Most years that drift is about 2 metres deep at the end of the season and although a loader can shift it easy, the bigger problem is getting heavy machinery onto the road without it sinking. It is also in the East Gippsland section and logistically it is harder to get a loader up there but they do. Just around the corner from that drift, near Langford West camp, the water comes up from the middle of the road and when a person jumps on the road it moves like a water bed.

neilmny wrote:
LET US OUT !!!!

Today we have 15 new but only 8 were in quarantine for infectious period. The remaining 7 not in iso needs to be a zero.

I would not want to turn this thread into a COVID whinge nor would I like to see COVID in the regional areas. It is hard but when you live in an area that has never had a single case and you face the same restrictions while looking at snow. People from Melbourne broke restrictions last week and went to CC hut. I call that selfish. Regional people were allowed to be there so you then have the risk of making Vic just like NSW if we just do what we like. I think I am bit risk averse also and don't really want to be sharing CC hut with strangers just now. Particularly those from cities. Maybe next year it will be different.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sat 14 Aug, 2021 10:41 am

I am not coming up to the Vic. Alps until I get the green light from the Vic. State Govt.. However a great number people in Melb. have simply gone past the tipping point of enduring being locked up at Level 4 lockdown for nearly 200 days since March 2020. I can understand some people simply saying
"STUFF IT!, I MUST GET OUT!! "
Last edited by paidal_chalne_vala on Sun 15 Aug, 2021 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Xplora » Sat 14 Aug, 2021 11:15 am

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:I am not coming up to the Vic. Alps until I get the green light from the Vic. State Govt.. However a great number people in Melb. have simply gone past the tipping point of enduring being locked up at Level 4 lockdown for nearly 200 days since March 2020. I can understand some people simply saying
"STUFF IT!, I MUST GE OUT!! "

These people must be able to afford the hefty fine or think they will get away with it. It is also people like them who think it won't hurt anyone. Tell that to all the NSW regional towns in lockdown. A level of calm is needed and it doesn't help when people incite others with silly talk. Bogong will have skiable snow until mid October. There may be a bit more walking to be done if you go in via the Long Spur but an afternoon run up Eskdale spur should be fine in Spring. It would save many many hours even if you walked it all in snowshoes and carried your skis. Once on top the going is cushy all the way to the hut. The Long Spur is not always sheltered either. It is exposed to the north and south. If the weather is crap on the summit you risk many more hours of crap weather going the Long Spur. We came close to pitching a tent once because of bad weather. Perhaps the best thing would be for you to do it and then you may understand. Skinning up Mulhauser spur is also not that easy. Especially when a great many people boot it down. In spring it is quite bare also in places. Good luck with it.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby stry » Sat 14 Aug, 2021 11:56 am

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:I am not coming up to the Vic. Alps until I get the green light from the Vic. State Govt.. However a great number people in Melb. have simply gone past the tipping point of enduring being locked up at Level 4 lockdown for nearly 200 days since March 2020. I can understand some people simply saying

I think Darwin said something about species survival being dependent on adaptability of that species.

IE - Suck it up and make do as best you can within what we have :D
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sun 15 Aug, 2021 10:31 am

Xplora wrote:

These people must be able to afford the hefty fine or think they will get away with it. It is also people like them who think it won't hurt anyone. Tell that to all the NSW regional towns in lockdown. A level of calm is needed and it doesn't help when people incite others with silly talk. Bogong will have skiable snow until mid October. There may be a bit more walking to be done if you go in via the Long Spur but an afternoon run up Eskdale spur should be fine in Spring. It would save many many hours even if you walked it all in snowshoes and carried your skis. Once on top the going is cushy all the way to the hut. The Long Spur is not always sheltered either. It is exposed to the north and south. If the weather is crap on the summit you risk many more hours of crap weather going the Long Spur. We came close to pitching a tent once because of bad weather. Perhaps the best thing would be for you to do it and then you may understand. Skinning up Mulhauser spur is also not that easy. Especially when a great many people boot it down. In spring it is quite bare also in places. Good luck with it.

It remains to be seen if any Melb. people will allowed out any time soon.
I am sure in bad weather the Long Spur would not be fun. Visibility would become poor, the surface could become icy in white season esp. higher up approaching the T spur and there are many fallen logs. It is a sub Alpine area. Picking the good weather window for safe and settled weather is the key.
We booted up and down the steep switch back section on Road No. 3 a few weeks ago before changing to skins and skis for the flatter terrain higher up . One uses the right tools for the conditions as they change . I would imagine Mulhauser spur track would be quite bare of snow in spring. It is not that high up and gets the afternoon sun.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Xplora » Mon 16 Aug, 2021 9:19 am

If doing Mulhauser and the Long spur is for the experience of the journey then I can understand that. If the purpose is to get to CC hut quickly and easily then enjoy some turns around Bogong, you are adding a day to your travels each way if you come from Melbourne but unless you do it you will not understand. Eskdale spur is still the quickest option. You can travel from Melbourne to Camp Creek gap and get to CC hut in a day via Eskdale Spur. Mulhauser will invariably mean an overnight stay for an earlier start. Stay safe. Stay COVID safe also. Hopefully you will not be doing Mulhauser solo.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Mon 16 Aug, 2021 10:19 am

I have been up to Mt. Bogong by every major known route. I know the travel times in white and green season in terms of driving from Melb. and trekking in from the trail heads.
One year a friend and I drove from Melb. via Wodonga to Mitta Mitta and then up to Mulhauser camp. We then hiked in and set up camp at Maddison Hut ruins camp site just on dusk .
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Xplora » Mon 16 Aug, 2021 5:07 pm

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:I have been up to Mt. Bogong by every major known route. I know the travel times in white and green season in terms of driving from Melb. and trekking in from the trail heads.
One year a friend and I drove from Melb. via Wodonga to Mitta Mitta and then up to Mulhauser camp. We then hiked in and set up camp at Maddison Hut ruins camp site just on dusk .

From Mulhauser camp to CC hut is 3 hours in the summer but it can be very different in winter. I guess you have it well covered. I will butt out and wait for your trip report.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby icefest » Mon 16 Aug, 2021 5:58 pm

Xplora wrote: People from Melbourne broke restrictions last week and went to CC hut. I call that selfish.

and that the reason politicians/health advisors have to put the entire state in lockdown :(
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Mon 16 Aug, 2021 7:09 pm

I would guess access to CC hut from Mulhauser camp in white season would take up to 6 hours. Everything takes twice as long to do in the snow.....EVERYTHING.
I would allow a whole day to get to CC hut. Time is not an issue for me. Selecting the good weather window is the main factor.
I have been up and down the Staircase and Eskdale spur in white season. A number of times bad weather and zero visibility above the tree line forced us to turn back on those routes.
I am not sure I will be able to make it up there this white season. The Melb. Lockdown No. 6 is becoming more stringent and more prolonged :-((.

Regarding Timm's spur access to Roper's hut , In green season it takes a day and a half starting from Clover arboretum and doing a overnight camp en route at Bogong Creek saddle. In White season I have yet to do this but it is in my in tray for early Sept. 2021 or failing that due to CV19 lockdowns then in early Sept. 2022.
It could be less taxing when it is not hot and humid and on skis it could be quicker once you get some glide going up or down Timm's spur. The visibility was not great last time I hiked into Roper's hut via this route so a map , compass and GPS are not optional .
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Gunner55 » Fri 27 Aug, 2021 6:25 pm

Lots of great info here and only things I would add, after doing a fair sized loop of the northern part of BHP incl. Mt Bogong at Easter of this year are: Grey Hills was clear and great walking, I would think vastly more fun than Timms Spur fire trail; taking a diversion to West Peak on Bogong is well worth it; I camped at end of Grey Hills sort of below Spion Skopje track/peak, a soak nearby and Big River not too far below for reliable water, awesome spot if the wind isn't too bad, but even then you could possibly drop lower towards the river, though that's a bit of a frost hollow someone more knowledgeable than me has advised.
Gunner55
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby scroggin » Tue 26 Oct, 2021 10:00 am

A couple of questions.

Is attempting to cross the East Kiewa River at Roper Spur Track (or Roper Track on some maps) in early November a wise decision?
Where is the best place to find water near Bogong Jack Hut?

Thanks
scroggin
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lophophaps » Tue 26 Oct, 2021 10:55 am

The East Kiewa River at Roper Spur Track is a bit low for my liking, a big watershed if it's been raining in the days before the trip. A bridge would be safer and more certain. The water at Bogong Jack Saddle is about 600 metres NE along the track. There may be soaks coming off the north side of Fainter North at about 1700 metres.

Consideration is being given to walking from Mount Beauty to Big Hill, The Springs and Bogong Jack. There's water at the start at the toilet block and day shelter. After that the next water seems to be on the road going westish to the north of Big Hill Lookout, and possibly back a kilometre, the creek leading to the Kiewa West Power Station. The Springs sound like there's water. Can anyone comment on the water points on the route from Mount Beauty to Bogong Jacks?

The planned route is up from the toilet block, possibly on BMX tracks, picking up the power lines. Follow the Big Hill Road. About 1.5 km north of Big Hill Lookout there's a shorter steeper track to Big Hill Lookout. This track has a creek towards the top. Is this way better than the longer gentler Big Hill Road? I note with interest that the Big Hill Lookout is about 2 km from Big Hill.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 26 Oct, 2021 3:04 pm

I walked from Big Hill car park( locked gates) over Big Hill to the Spring saddle and onto Bogong Jack saddle and the Fainters in Jan. 2021. I walked back via Spring Saddle and West Kiewa Logging road back to the car at Big Hill car park. This was a better route.
Water is not hard to find. Many soaks were flowing at all points en route in Jan. 2021. The weather was H O T too.
Last edited by paidal_chalne_vala on Thu 28 Oct, 2021 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lophophaps » Wed 27 Oct, 2021 3:24 pm

PCV, thanks. As far as I can determine, Big Hill car park is at the Big Hill Lookout, with access from the High Plains Road at Cranky Charlie. Is this correct? If not, where is the route to the car park? Also, is this 2WD?
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Thu 28 Oct, 2021 8:56 am

Yes, and access is from Cranky Charlie. In green season it is 2 WD accessible but use low gear. Take a chain saw too.

The road gets snow and rain in white season. Even though it was graded in Jan. 2021 by the relevant authorities the rocky unsealed surface would turn to rubbish quite quickly.

Once you get to the top of that road the West Kiewa logging road starts at a hairpin turn from up there and the Big Hill locked gate is also evident. Big Hill fire trail goes UP UP UP and then down down down to the Spring Saddle.
It is a waste of energy and feels like a slog.
The approach via West Kiewa takes you along the flat West Kiewa logging road until you reach the locked Spring saddle fire track which is 2km of uphill to reach the Spring Saddle and join the Fainters Fire track from there . There is water en route at soaks and streams. My friend and I were going to go and ski tour up there but the 2021 Lockdowns in August ended that plan. I have been told you can usually PB XC ski / skin up from The Spring Saddle onwards in August and snow camp at Bogong Jack Saddle as a base camp for BC XC ski touring the Fainters.

Starting from the Big Hill area knocks off the 300-400 M. elevation gain required if you start at Bogong Village. Leaving the car at Bogong Village can work out better if you are walking a BHP circuit and returning via Black Possum spur or Bogong Creek Saddle.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby scroggin » Thu 28 Oct, 2021 11:47 am

The reason I'm asking about Roper Spur Track is that I plan to do the Fainters, BHP, Grey Hills circuit. My last night will be at Bogong Creek saddle. And unless I climp back to Mt Arthur and down the Black Possum spur - which I have been told can be quite hard and plus I'm by myself - then the quickest route overall is to start and end at Roper Spur Track even if it adds about 1.4km to the first day and just over 100m in climbing. Though I may be convinced to take the Black Possum Spur.
scroggin
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Thu 28 Oct, 2021 12:04 pm

I am walking the approximately the same route next week. I will start at Bogong Village and grovel up to Bogong jack Saddle . I will take in Tawonga Huts/ Young's SEC Hut/Ryder's hut/ Fitzgerald hut/ Roper hut/ Spion Kopje/ Grey Hills/ Black Possum Spur and return to Bogong Village.
Roper spur track starts a reasonable distance from access to the Spring Saddle.
I cannot see the benefit myself.
If you go clockwise you can leave the car at Clover Arboretum and walk along the Bogong creek tramline/ water race.

I wrote to the person in charge of that area from AGL. He/ AGL said it is part of the Nat. Park and access is NOT Prohibited. I have walked it before. It is a full day from Clover Arboretum to Bogong Creek saddle. The last 4 kms climbs quite a bit up the Big River Fire trail . Water is available at numerous streams that you cross en route.
Mt. Arthur is quite steep going down/ up from Bogong Creek Saddle. I have little interest in covering it twice. Just scrub bash S.W. down Black Possum spur for 2 kms from the Pine Pole that marks the spot on Mt. Arthur until you hit the Fire trail and keep going down until you reach the bottom. It will fry your knees and cook your quads but no pain = no gain!!
Last edited by paidal_chalne_vala on Thu 28 Oct, 2021 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby scroggin » Thu 28 Oct, 2021 2:20 pm

Thanks paidal_chaine_vala.

I might just follow that route (minus the plethora of huts) and instead of going to BCS head straight down BPS and finish one day earlier. I was planning to camp at Edmondson Hut before tackling the Grey Hills but with the added distance and effort of BPS I might push on to near Spion Kopje before making camp.

I do have a bit more confidence in tackling BPS as you can actually see the track on Google Earth which is normally a good sign.

Also it's only an extra 1.4km to Spring Saddle via Roper Spur Track with the last day if coming from BCS taking off at least 3.5 km if starting and finishing at Spring Saddle Track. So overall a net gain in less distance.

I have walked the Tramway previously despite the signs and enjoyed it.

BTW, what day do you plan on leaving? I will likely leave Monday.
scroggin
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lophophaps » Thu 28 Oct, 2021 3:19 pm

PCV, thanks again. The West Kiewa looks more attractive. It seems that there's a ford of the river, and then the vehicle track fades, possibly due to fires and regrowth. See
https://graphhopper.com/maps/?point=-36 ... i%20Aerial
At the expense of a wet crossing on foot it's less climbing and less distance compared to going south from Mount Beauty to the Springs:
West Kiewa 600 metres of climbing in about 4 km
Mount Beauty 900-1000 metres of climbing in about 12 km
From the gate east of the West Kiewa is 200 metres in 2 km, nice.

At the West Kiewa, is there camping on the far side at the river? If so I'd like to cross it and get it over, dry start the next day. If the weather's fine I may push on to the locked gate at about 1000 metres. There's a creek about 500 metres before this, about 100 metres lower.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Thu 28 Oct, 2021 7:14 pm

The West Kiewa logging road route to Spring Saddle involves zero river crossings if you are going from Big Hill to the Spring Saddle. You simply park at the gate at Big Hill and walk from the Big Hill car park / look out area along the West Kiewa logging track until you reach the SPRING SADDLE TRACK. This is a 2km ascent to the Spring Saddle.
If you know this route already then it is so simple you could walk some of it in the dark with a head torch , collect water along the way and camp at the Spring Saddle.

The West Link track is no longer there AFAIK , as are also a couple of other tracks no longer there due to a number of reasons. The Spatial Vision map is not very accurate. Since I walk in this area every green season I am more up to date than the cartographers seem to be. I can recommend that route as way to access the Fainters for white and green season activities.

https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/big-h ... 021.88932/

The plan I have to walk next week involves NO river crossings and no creek crossings. It is a straight forward approach. I will come back in December or early Jan. and do a loop around Mt. Bogong where I will Ford Big River twice. Once at the bottom of the T spur and once at the bottom of Timm's spur.
I plan to drive up the night before I will start my BHP walk. That means driving up on Wed.( and avoiding the long weekend traffic and crowds) and staying at my friend's house in Myrtleford. I will start walking on Thursday from Bogong
village. The weather looks like it will be wet that day but I don't care. If I have to set up camp at Bogong Jack Saddle and cook my evening meal inside the dilapidated hut at Bogong jack Saddle then so be it. With a 5-6 day trek in November over the BHP one cannot expect clear conditions the whole way . I am well equipped and fit. I can do this. I know the terrain too.

Camping near the aqueduct on the Spion Kopje fire trail could save some kms but I do like Roper's hut as a camping area.
I can recommend carrying extra water when tackling the Grey Hills. It can be a slog and there is no water up there if you run out :-0.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

PreviousNext

Return to Victoria