Walhalla camping

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Walhalla camping

Postby ErichFromm » Fri 18 Dec, 2020 10:35 am

Hi,

I've nothing to do over christmas and was thinking of going to Walhalla and surrounds as I've never been before (town looks amazing). I've got a map (Rooftop adventure map) and there are quite a few places marked for camping but was wondering if anyone could suggest places to go? Particularly given it will probably be busy. I've a subaru forester and can handle most mild 4WD tracks and will be bringing extra fuel to allow lots of exploring.

Thanks
ErichFromm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Walhalla camping

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Fri 18 Dec, 2020 5:56 pm

The Eastern Tyers Camp site at O Shea's mill is good but will be full. There are a couple of leech infested campsites near the Thompson River bridge. One has a pit loo.
Also in the area is the state forest Scout camp site which will be full. I forget the name of it but I was with BTAC doing track clearing work in the area. BTAC are going to re clear the walking track along the
Eastern Tyers river walking path now that there is signage and the basic route was cleared 12 months ago.
Here is a weblink about it
https://caravanontour.com/free-campsite ... orest.html
North of Walhalla there are campsites near Aberfeldy along the river in the narrow valley which might appeal to you. The Rooftop's map of the area will offer you more possible informal car camping options.
If you want to carry a pack then the O Shea's mill campsite to Mt. Talbot hike could amuse you. It has a 1300 M. elevation gain. The most of all along the entire AAWT.
Walhalla itself has been turned into a poor man's Sovereign Hill tourist village cum ye olde golde mining area. I remember it fondly before the local version of Puffing Billy was set up as a tourist railway and the village itself was hardly on the tourist map at all . It was FAR less contrived then .There are good rafting options on the Thompson river .
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Postby CaptainC » Tue 29 Dec, 2020 9:59 pm

I think Caringal scout camp is the one that you are trying to remember. https://www.caringalscoutcamp.com.au/home
CaptainC
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby CaptainC » Tue 29 Dec, 2020 10:09 pm

Another possible camping option is Mt Erica car park. Or you could walk from there to Mushroom Rocks campsite, only about 1 km. Mt St Gwinear car park is huge, it caters for snow play and XC activity in winter. It has a grassy areas for camping and a visitor centre with a drop toilet.
CaptainC
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Victoria