Lake Tali Karng Track

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Lake Tali Karng Track

Postby jamestrs » Mon 11 Jan, 2021 11:19 am

Hi all,
I was thinking of going to Lake Tali Karng in a couple of weeks and I saw that there are quite a few track closures https://www.parks.vic.gov.au/-/media/pr ... 542987.pdf and I was wondering if anyone has hiked from Wellington River to the lake and then camping at the intersection of the Wellington River Walking Track and Riggals Spur Track. What was this track like if so and the other closed tracks?

Cheers
jamestrs
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Lake Tali Karng Track

Postby north-north-west » Mon 11 Jan, 2021 7:07 pm

Blimey, everything but Clive Lanigans is closed. What is going on up there?

I did what you're asking, including camping at the track junction, years ago. Riggalls is a steep ex 4WD track and had a mountain of fallen timber on it (bushfire and storm damage). Echo Point is walking track with some steep sections and a bit of loose ground below the horse yards, but fun. Gillios and the MacFarlane Saddle track are a great mix - some flatter country early on, then steeper down to the lake. The loop over Spion Kopje is especially good; the views from the summit are superb.

Mt Margaret route is still open.. If you really want to suffer ...
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Wed 13 Jan, 2021 2:55 pm

I have a friend who walked all the trails in that area 2 weeks ago, from The Wellington River Bridge to McFarlane saddle, including Mt. Spion Kopje and Mt. Wellington. Yes there were signs saying Wellington Plains walking track was closed but they went and did it anyway . She said the tracks were in reasonable order and some other tracks she has walked recently elsewhere ,that are officially open , are in a more dire condition.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Wed 27 Jan, 2021 8:22 pm

The Ranger from Parks Vic. for the relevant area has told me to my face that all tracks in the Lake TK area including The Sentinels, Miller's hut, Mc Farlane's saddle, Wellington Plains, Riggal' s spur track , Echo Point , Gillio's track and the Wellington River tracks are ALL OPEN .
The Mt. Margaret route to Lake TK is closed indefinitely ..The Toilet at Nyimba camp site will be rebuilt . When ? I do not know.The Ranger said until the Drop loo
is rebuilt dig a hole for Number 2 and bury all toilet waste.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Casparvitch » Sun 07 Feb, 2021 10:48 am

I'm also keen on going up to Tali soon, did your friend mention the water situation?

I remember getting water from the tank on the loo last time, although there was a nearby stream that was pretty clean.

Don't think I could rely upon the stream this time around given ash from the fires (did she mention if everything was pretty black up there?), so planning on carrying water, which shortens the trip :(
Casparvitch
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Saintpaul » Sun 07 Feb, 2021 4:33 pm

I love the walk to Tali Karng. We went about 2 years ago on AFL GF weekend and it was snowing and very cold (wearing shorts lol). The change as you went down past the snow line was awesome.
Saintpaul
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Mon 08 Feb, 2021 12:28 pm

My Friend walked the whole area recently . The creek down the locked MVO 4 WD track near Miller's hut which feeds the Lake was flowing. It has rained a bit lately. I plan to head up there next month and will bank on finding water in N........... creek.
Anyway my friend obtained water from N................ creek as did all of her walking party.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Mon 08 Feb, 2021 4:37 pm

Ngothoruk, I think. From memory.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Thu 11 Mar, 2021 6:34 pm

I have walked the area above The Valley of Destruction last weekend .We did not make it out to the Sentinels this time. See my trip report in the relevant section of this web site.There was water flowing in N......... Creek. The dunny and water tank are going to be rebuilt or so the Ranger at Heyfield told me. It has not been rebuilt yet.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby indented » Tue 30 Mar, 2021 6:42 am

Hi all, does anyone have any info on the amount of water in the Wellington river currently? Looking at heading up the river to get to the lake.
indented
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby skybeau » Tue 30 Mar, 2021 5:59 pm

indented wrote:Hi all, does anyone have any info on the amount of water in the Wellington river currently? Looking at heading up the river to get to the lake.

There's heaps. We were there on the long weekend a few weeks ago and it was flowing well. Can't imagine it's dropped at all especially with the recent rain.

Enjoy the walk, it's great fun (even the climb up the Valley of Destruction, take a bit of extra water for that one...).
skybeau
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby indented » Wed 31 Mar, 2021 8:14 am

Thanks Skybeau!
indented
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby indented » Mon 05 Apr, 2021 7:43 pm

For anyone wondering, went up over Easter along the Wellington River. River crossings were up to around 2 feet deep on Friday, but dropped to 1-1.5 foot by Sunday for the return trip.

Camped at the Riggals spur intersection, nice camp close to the river, and appeared to be the closest site to the lake that still have good water access. There were a few other nice sites on the way through both before and after. There's still signage along the way saying Riggals/Gillios are closed, but there were a number of people heading that way so could just be an old sign that parks haven't come back for.

It's worth noting that it's very slow terrain, our small group averaged around 21 minutes per km when we would usually be around 12-15 minutes somewhere like the prom. Lots of loose ground, nav stops, slowing for river crossings and the like, as well as some fairly steep sections in hot weather made it hard work.

If you do go to the lake it's worth heading up to see Snowden's Falls on the far end of the lake, it's a nice spot that most people don't seem to know is there.
indented
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 06 Apr, 2021 12:12 pm

Snowden falls were busy when I went out there during the March Long weekend. It is not a secret spot anymore. All tracks in the Lake TK area are officially open . Ask the Heyfield ranger if you are in doubt. He told me this in person , about the tracks being open.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby picklemuncher » Tue 04 May, 2021 10:55 pm

anyone know the current conditions of Wellington river?
Planning on heading to TK this weekend but worried it may be too high to access from the river side
picklemuncher
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Victoria