Big Pats creek/ada tree

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Big Pats creek/ada tree

Postby Hikrazy » Tue 02 Mar, 2021 7:03 pm

Hi everyone

Just a question of water availability around ada tree or big pats Creek at this time of year. Or is Latrobe River a safe bet.
Hikrazy
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Re: Big Pats creek/ada tree

Postby indented » Wed 03 Mar, 2021 6:33 am

The Little Ada River crossing between the Ada tree and the crossroads would almost certainly have water. I recall recently someone had found it too deep to cross with the water over the stepping stones. There's a few small streams between there and Starling Gap also.
indented
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Baeng72 » Wed 03 Mar, 2021 8:49 am

In March 2019, much drier than this summer, there was plenty of water at Big Pat's campsite in the eponymous creek. I think there would be plenty today.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Dexter » Wed 03 Mar, 2021 8:58 am

I was there around 4 weeks ago, and found water (and many leeches) near Ada #2 campsite over the boardwalk closest to Ada2. There had been quite a bit of rain before we walked it though. We didn't go any further than that towards Ada Tree. I also spoke to some parks workers, and they mentioned at the time they were going to be clearing the track from Starlings Gap to Ada Tree in the next week or so. There were loads of trees down to navigate. So hopefully that's done, and the track is a little easier to navigate.

I'd love to hear a report back though if you go, I'm likely to head there again in the coming weeks.
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Hikrazy » Wed 03 Mar, 2021 7:22 pm

Thank you everyone.
I will post when I get back.
Hikrazy
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Hikrazy » Tue 09 Mar, 2021 5:12 pm

Track report.
No problem with water. Basically 90% of re-enterants had at least a trickle of water.
Tracks looked as if they have been cleared recently.
I learnt a valuable lesson. Don't text and hike, as I had to do the tiger snake dance after almost stepping on a 1 meter long bad boy.
Hikrazy
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby ChrisJHC » Tue 09 Mar, 2021 5:16 pm

Hikrazy wrote:Track report.
No problem with water. Basically 90% of re-enterants had at least a trickle of water.
Tracks looked as if they have been cleared recently.
I learnt a valuable lesson. Don't text and hike, as I had to do the tiger snake dance after almost stepping on a 1 meter long bad boy.
What was the leech situation?
ChrisJHC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Baeng72 » Tue 09 Mar, 2021 5:51 pm

Hikrazy wrote:Track report.

Thanks for the update!
I learnt a similar lesson. Don't look at the view while walking on a raised boardwalk.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Hikrazy » Wed 10 Mar, 2021 7:14 pm

Leeches were like long grass in the wind
Hikrazy
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Joris » Mon 02 Oct, 2023 8:35 am

For anyone thinking of a child friendly bushwalking effort - read on, this is definitely an option.

Walked along the section from Starlings Gap to Ada No 2. Mill campground (and back) this past Thursday-Friday with my two girls - 11 and 8. First time out and about as a trio (and the first time at all for the younger one). Perfect weather for it along an easy 8km trail with the odd trunk to climb over (or under if you are 8 and still 'little'). Plenty of water from all the streams running into the Ada River as well as the latter itself. Few folks setting up at Starlings in anticipation of the next day's public holiday, but other than that we did not meet anyone on the trail. A group of 4 walkers were already camped on the platforms at Ada No 2. Mill, meaning camping in the dirt for us, but as the general area is currently merely damp underfoot as opposed to the customary early spring wetness in these hills it was no issue at all. Due to these conditions we also hardly spotted any leeches on the entire walk or at camp. Eleven year old spotted big snake (tiger or brown, we only got a fleeting look) sunning in the scrub next to the trail on the way in - clearly warm enough for them to get out and about at nearly 800m asl. Cool parental demeanor in the face of snake sightings over the years seems to have rubbed off on both my girls - keep a safe distance, admire it and move on - parenting win!

Lot of lyrebird activity at camp - some very confiding individuals about. Other little gems were Pilotbird, Rose Robin, Southern Boobook and Olive Whistler. Fan-tailed Cuckoo and Shining Bronze-Cuckoo the only summer migrants heard, though most other migrant species would still be a while. Pot noodles and chocolate pudding (latter from Strive in TAS) for dinner, couple of games of Uno before bed time and into the down bags (still cool enough at night).

The way back was a bit trickier in the morale department for the 8 year old - 8km two days in a row with a (small) backpack is quite a bit. I ended up carrying her pack for about 5 minutes before she decided she was going to do it. Counted the myriad of gullies and streams along the way, kept an eye out for special ferns, adventured along the various boardwalk and stepping stone bits, had a few small arguments and made it back in about 2.5 hours. There has already been talk about the next time!
Joris
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Baeng72 » Wed 04 Oct, 2023 10:08 am

Nice one Joris. I remember a pair of Lyrebirds at Ada 2 Mill campsite just walking about, like we weren't there.
I like the idea of driving to Starling's Gap, and walking to Ada 2 or Fed. Mill campsites, as it takes the uphill slog from Big Pat's or High Lead out of it for less than match-fit kids (I mean me, but I'll blame the kids).
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Dexter » Tue 23 Jan, 2024 6:30 pm

Went here over the weekend. The leeches were out in force!! Stop to flick a couple off and gather a few more on your shoes. Lovely scenery and a leisurely walk though, and pretty quiet being a weekend and still school holidays. We only saw one other solo hiker that joined us at Ada #2.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Victoria