Definitive top 10 peaks list

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Definitive top 10 peaks list

Postby Hikrazy » Sat 20 Mar, 2021 4:48 pm

Hello all,
I am after some help with compiling a list of the top 10 highest peaks of Victoria.
I have googled this, but I want a list that does not include the peak on the other side of the saddle type of list. I am talking about the highest peak in the mountain range. Eg. Mt Bogong, Mt Fethertop, not little Mt Bogong , little Mt Fethertop.
I hope you understand what I mean.
Thanks in advance.
Hikrazy
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Re: Definitive top 10 peaks list

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sat 20 Mar, 2021 5:00 pm

Mt. Bogong 1986 M.
Mt. FT 1922 M
Mt Nelse west ( unnamed peak ) 1893 M.
Mt. Fainter 1888 M.
Mt. Loch 1887 M.

Then in no specific order
Mt. Hotham
Mt. McKay
Mt. You ate my tongue/ Mt . Politically correct/Mt. Melanin enhanced cranium ;-P
Mt. Cope
Marum Point
Holland's Knob
Timm's Spur lookout or whatever it is called
Spion Kopje ( Opposite Falls Creek)( 1837 M. )

Most the 1900 M. and 1800 M. Peaks are in the Bogong Alpine area except for Mt. Buller for example which is an exception. So too are the Cobberas.
Is The Pilot in NSW? I forget.

The bigger 1700 M.+ peaks include Mt. Wills, Mt Buffalo / The Horn, Mt Stirling, Mt. Howitt, The Cobberas, Mt. Sassafras, Mt. Pinnibar , Mt. Reynard, Mt. Magdala , The Bluff , The crest of the Cross Cut Saw and so on.
Last edited by paidal_chalne_vala on Sun 21 Mar, 2021 8:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Postby Baeng72 » Sat 20 Mar, 2021 6:01 pm

Isn't Mt You ate my tongue on the same ridge as the Fainters?
It's a bit tricky, how much of a spur do you have to descend/ascend before you are in a different range?
I think Mt Wills is on one end of the Long Spur and Mt Bogong the other, does that make Mt Bogong it's parent peak?
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sat 20 Mar, 2021 7:34 pm

Mt. Wills is its own mountain. I will not change my position on that. If you have walked from Mt. Wills Hut to CC hut and back you will agree with me.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lophophaps » Sat 20 Mar, 2021 9:05 pm

You may have heard of the artist formerly known as Prince. Jaithmathang is the mountain formerly known as Niggerheads. Mount Wills to Mount Bogong is via Long Spur. However, Mount Wills is not on Long Spur - Big River Saddle breaks the nexus. I've done Mount Wills Hut to Cleve Cole Hut in a day twice, and have no intention of doing it again. The parentage aspect applied to Long Spur is perhaps better described as unmarried.

Height is just one aspect. Remoteness, difficulty, season and other factors need consideration. For example, Razor-Viking are just over 1500 metres high, but have far less ascents than Bogong or Feathertop. The reason is that most people need three days to climb Razor-Viking, and four days is better. Scrub, rocks, limited water, tricky navigation in places ... so less visitors.

NSW is the same. Jagungal (2062) and Pilot (1830 metres) are around the same height as the Main Range peaks (2000-2200 metres). Jagungal and especially Pilot get less ascents than Main Range peaks because the latter can be easily climbed from the road. I've been up Pilot about three times, all in summer. I've climbed Jagungal many times summer and winter, camped on the summit, many ways up and down.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Baeng72 » Sun 21 Mar, 2021 2:43 am

This question is an interesting rabbit-hole. It's all down to your definitions. As Lophophaps alluded to, it's not just about height.

At the risk of being a gainsaying tool...(no risk, I'm a contrarian tool, guaranteed).

If you were to flood the Earth's surface up to the height just below Big River Saddle, you'd find Mt Wills & Mt Bogong form an island, with big river saddle an ithmus between the two peaks, separate from the BHP and other areas. The parent peak of this island is Mt Bogong.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Topograph ... _parentage

There's another definition of parent, line parent, which is the line from a peak to the next highest peak via the highest shared saddle. Mt Wills' line parent is Mt Bogong, Mt Bogong's line parent is South Ramshead, which has some line parents to Mt. Kosi, and so on to Mt Cook, Vinson Masif, Aconcagua and eventually to Everest.
I think defined by prominence (hydrographic runoff), Mt Bogong is also the parent of Mt Wills, waters from both flow into the same runoff (big river), though I may have misunderstood that concept.

So, not unmarried, just perhaps not consecrated by the church of Lophophaps. :wink:
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lophophaps » Sun 21 Mar, 2021 6:12 am

Baeng72, interesting comments. I've not seen the term "parent mountain" until this thread. Some mountains and features have others where there's a close relationship. Feathertop is associated with the Bungalow Spur and The Razorback. Bogong, West Peak, Hooker Plateau, Little Bogong and their spurs have a close relationship.The Razor and The Viking are often called Razor-Viking as I did above. I just thought of an unusual relationship - Everest and a non-moving checkout queue at the supermarket.

The hydrographic runoff aspect needs to be considered with proximity.

If there was a flood to just below the height of Big River Saddle I'd have to move, and the electoral boundaries would need to be changed. There would be a few other impacts.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sun 21 Mar, 2021 8:26 am

White season access to a number of Peaks in Vic. becomes more of an ordeal and a mission than they would be in Green season. Closed 4 WD track access in white season makes a 2 day trip a one week trip. Plus Everything takes longer in the snow.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Xplora » Sun 21 Mar, 2021 8:51 am

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:Mt. Bogong 1986 M.

Mt. You ate my tongue/ Mt . Politically correct/Mt. Melanin enhanced cranium ;-P ( 1837 M. )

I know you are trying to be funny but at some stage this persistent joke of yours (every time you mention this place) will cause offence. Possibly a similar offence to the original name. Personally I do not see this to be funny anyway and not sure what you intend to convey each time. Perhaps try to spell it. It is shorter.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sun 21 Mar, 2021 9:09 am

LOPS used the old name that you dare not speak. Take it up with him.

I shall use the old Persian/ Classical Urdu translation henceforth

Koh-e-Seer-e- Siyah
;-)
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Baeng72 » Sun 21 Mar, 2021 11:42 am

Apologies if I've repeated something bad.
I thought PCV was riffing on the fact that the name change wasn't unanimously endorsed by local first-nations people so whatever name you use, you're in the poo.
https://www.smh.com.au/national/aborigi ... -68gq.html

PCV google translates that as 'black mountain', which isn't at all offensive like the n-word. Could be a failure of google, or just some languages translate things differently?
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Baeng72 » Sun 21 Mar, 2021 11:54 am

It's a rabitt hole, and I was awake in the early am, and my sleep deprived brain found that stuff interesting.
Lophophaps wrote:I just thought of an unusual relationship - Everest and a non-moving checkout queue at the supermarket.

Well Everest is still moving, due to the Indian plate smashing up Asia's Khyber.

One interesting thing I found is Mt Bogong current height isn't due to an ancient mountain worn down, but due to recent uplift (geologically recent, not person recent).
There's reactivated ancient faults (Tawonga fault, etc), due to the western part of NZ (on same plate as Aus) pushing the Australian plate westwards, and so Mt Bogong is on the up apparently.
I won't be here in a few million years to see if it and other mountains become local Mt Blancs of course.
The Tawonga Fault scarp ...[w]ith a vertical uplift of about 700 metres, most apparently happening in the last few million years, this is one of the highest active fault scarps in Australia.

https://www.4wdvictoria.org.au/images/g ... _v6_HR.pdf
The hydrographic runoff aspect needs to be considered with proximity.

If there was a flood to just below the height of Big River Saddle I'd have to move, and the electoral boundaries would need to be changed. There would be a few other impacts.

Thankfully it's a hypothetical at this stage, so no need to panic.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ssorc » Sun 21 Mar, 2021 12:52 pm

Warby Walkers have compiled a list of the top ten Victorian peaks: http://warbybushwalkers.org.au/wp-conte ... -peaks.pdf

1. Mt Bogong - 1983 metres
2. Mt Feathertop - 1922m
3. Mt Spion Kopje(east) - 1893
4. Mt. Loch - 1887
5. Mt. Nelse - 1884
6. Mt. Fainter - 1883
7. Mt. Hotham - 1868
8. Mt. Jaithmathang - 1858
9. Mt. McKay - 1849
10. Mt. Cope - 1837
ssorc
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby stry » Sun 21 Mar, 2021 1:36 pm

ssorc wrote:Warby Walkers have compiled a list of the top ten Victorian peaks: http://warbybushwalkers.org.au/wp-conte ... -peaks.pdf

1. Mt Bogong - 1983 metres
2. Mt Feathertop - 1922m
3. Mt Spion Kopje(east) - 1893
4. Mt. Loch - 1887
5. Mt. Nelse - 1884
6. Mt. Fainter - 1883
7. Mt. Hotham - 1868
8. Mt. Jaithmathang - 1858
9. Mt. McKay - 1849
10. Mt. Cope - 1837

Far too uncomplicated to get any traction in this thread :lol: :lol:
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sun 21 Mar, 2021 6:38 pm

Baeng72 wrote:Apologies if I've repeated something bad.
I thought PCV was riffing on the fact that the name change wasn't unanimously endorsed by local first-nations people so whatever name you use, you're in the poo.
https://www.smh.com.au/national/aborigi ... -68gq.html

PCV google translates that as 'black mountain', which isn't at all offensive like the n-word. Could be a failure of google, or just some languages translate things differently?

Yes, I am aware that different first nations peoples have different names for the said peak and they were never in agreement about the final name change.

Google translate is rubbish

Allow me to elucidate

Koh e seer e siyah

Mountain of the head of black.

Persian is not that difficult a language even If I am rubbish at it !. It has even less gender differences in pronouns than English does e.g. no She/ He just a neuter 2nd person pronoun "OO". Adjectival information comes after the noun as it does in other major Indo European languages such as French.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Baeng72 » Sun 21 Mar, 2021 6:59 pm

I got what it was intended, but black-head isn't n-head. Unless in Persion black=n-word.
If I say 'La montaña de la cabeza negra'/'La montagne de la tete noire'/'La montagna della testa negra/' Das berg des kopfs schwartzes' etc, I'm probably only being descriptive.
But I think гора головаы чёрная has a litteral meaning of Black head mountain, but could also mean the other.
Anyway, definitely way off subject...

Back on subject, I still think the Fainters & the Jaimathangs are the same range. But I'm willing to accept Mt Wills is not part of Mt Bogong. :wink:
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Sun 21 Mar, 2021 7:11 pm

Fainters and Jaithmathang are definitely part of the same range, but wouldn't Hotham also be a subsidiary of Feathertop? There's not that much of a distinct rise and fall between them. Even less between Hotham and Loch.
I've never considered Wills to be part of Bogong. Surely no-one who has walked between the two would?
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Mon 22 Mar, 2021 8:18 am

Baeng72 wrote:I got what it was intended, but black-head isn't n-head. Unless in Persion black=n-word.
If I say 'La montaña de la cabeza negra'/'La montagne de la tete noire'/'La montagna della testa negra/' Das berg des kopfs schwartzes' etc, I'm probably only being descriptive.
But I think гора головаы чёрная has a litteral meaning of Black head mountain, but could also mean the other.
Anyway, definitely way off subject...

Back on subject, I still think the Fainters & the Jaimathangs are the same range. But I'm willing to accept Mt Wills is not part of Mt Bogong. :wink:

The N word is a corruption of the Latin root word for black = Negro/Negrita etc.

This peak has become the Koh- e- muntanaza ( a Mountain of controversy ).
:-0
Last edited by paidal_chalne_vala on Thu 25 Mar, 2021 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Baeng72 » Mon 22 Mar, 2021 9:25 am

north-north-west wrote:Fainters and Jaithmathang are definitely part of the same range, but wouldn't Hotham also be a subsidiary of Feathertop? There's not that much of a distinct rise and fall between them. Even less between Hotham and Loch.
I've never considered Wills to be part of Bogong. Surely no-one who has walked between the two would?

Fair enough to all your comments. I just got lost in the weeds about how you separate a mountain from another.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Baeng72 » Mon 22 Mar, 2021 9:55 am

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:The N word is a corruption of the Latin root word for black = Negro/Negrita etc.

It's niger in Latin I think, those words are Spanish.
Anyway, the point I was trying to make, in English that word it has certain connotations that the word black doesn't. I'll leave it at that. If I haven't made sense yet, repeating myself won't help. :)
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Hikrazy » Mon 22 Mar, 2021 4:31 pm

Thanks for all the replies.
I will be doing walhalla to mt baw baw and am disappointed that it hasn't made anyone's list.oh well I guess I will still have 10 mountains to plan for.
Hikrazy
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 23 Mar, 2021 9:25 am

The Baw Baws do not exceed 1600 M. They are in the 1500 M. range. Mt. Skene is higher and has better views.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Tue 23 Mar, 2021 2:20 pm

The only way to get a "definitive top ten" would be to set criteria the way Bill Wilkinson did for the Abels; in this case the relevant distinction being an appropriate minimal all-round drop. Given the height of Bogong, it should be something like 200m at least. Would be interesting going over the maps and sorting what did and did not qualify.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 23 Mar, 2021 9:35 pm

Hikrazy wrote:Thanks for all the replies.
I will be doing walhalla to mt baw baw and am disappointed that it hasn't made anyone's list.oh well I guess I will still have 10 mountains to plan for.

The Bridge at Poverty Point is reportedly closed a requires a long detour to cross the Thompson River near the tourist railway bridge.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Victoria