Feathertop Loop ? My prom trip got cancelled :(

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Feathertop Loop ? My prom trip got cancelled :(

Postby Staceykate » Tue 30 Mar, 2021 10:43 am

Hi all,

We had a trip to the Prom 3 nights/ 4 days booked for a weeks timme... just got notification from parks VIC that prom is shut due to flood damage.
So looking for a backup plan!

Anyone know of a decent loop for MT feathertop? Maybe a 2 night / 3 day as I think we would need to stay somewhere the night before or after...

Friends from sydney are coming and have to be back in Sydney afterwards... so somewhat time limited.

A loop would be preferred to a car shuffle, and I'd prefer camps with toilets. Also places where we can get water.

Dibbins hut looks like it has toilets and water, as does Cope hut.
Federation hut looks the same but I can't see anywhere to book it on the Parks VIC site?

Also really struggling to see a basic map/ ideas of what is available km's etc... My googling is less than successful!
Maybe up to 13km each day is what we could handle with our gear.

Any advice would be great... honestly super devestated that the Prom can't happen (completely understand why and have no issue with the Parks closing it, but just hate my bad timing!!)

TIA everyone... love this site
Staceykate
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Re: Feathertop Loop ? My prom trip got cancelled :(

Postby Lophophaps » Tue 30 Mar, 2021 11:45 am

Stacey, there are limited options at Feathertop. Instead, the Bogong High Plains options are only limited by your imagination. Also, except for the weather the difficulty of most parts is similar to The Prom. Two possible trips are
Watchbed Creek, Nelses, Ropers Hut, Fitzgeralds Hut, Wallaces Hut, Cope Hut. Small car shuffle.
Pretty Valley, Jaithmathang, Little Plain, Tawonga Huts, Pretty Valley. No car shuffle

A lot depends on information that I do not know - start time, fitness, how far you want to go in a day and the finish time.

You do not need to book any sites.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Staceykate » Tue 30 Mar, 2021 12:43 pm

Thanks! I'll have a look at Bogong...

We are mid 30's, fairly fit but not experienced hikers (i.e, I wouldn't want to go somewhere off trail)

Start and finish is flexible, distance in a day would be around 13km, more like 15 if it's flat. I could push it further for one day, but not multiple days.

Where do I find info on these tracks? Obviously google is my go -to for someone of my age, but I'm finding it less than helpful. Are there books with maps etc that I'm better off buying?
Staceykate
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Baeng72 » Tue 30 Mar, 2021 1:02 pm

Feathertop loop would be a bit of a slog. Up the Bungalow spur, across the Razorback and down Bon-Accord Spur back to car. The problem is no water if you're doing 2 nights at the old hut site on Bon-Accord spur. And the inital slog uphill from Harrietville can test you.
Mt. Hotham is starting up high, but unless you do an out-n-back to Mt. Feather top, you'll have to descend/ascend to get to Bogong High plains.
Bogong High plains is much easier (let the car do the uphill) I believe. Note, not Mt Bogong, which is across the Big River from the Bogong High plains, and involves quite an uphill slog from Mountain creek.
Lophophaps lists some good circuits.
For maps, SV Maps has Bogong Alpine Area which covers the whole area. https://www.abcmaps.com.au/epages/thema ... ucts/svbaa
Online, if you have a Smart phone, install Avenza apps (free), and you can download the GetLost maps for Falls Creek which covers most of the Bogong High plains (free) and use your smart phone to navigate/plan.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lophophaps » Tue 30 Mar, 2021 2:00 pm

The trip has a few climbs and is mostly on tracks. You can make any day shorter or longer. There are several huts that provide shelter, but maybe not room to sleep. Three peaks are climbed with an option on more. There's plenty of water.

Jaithmathang circuit
Go through Falls Creek to near the dam wall. Turn right and follow the road signs to Pretty Valley, about 30 minutes from the bitumen. There's a hut and I expect this to be crowded.

Day one
Pretty Valley, Jaithmathang, Tawonga Huts, SEC Hut, circa 14 km, 400 metres of climbing, 7-8 hours

Take the Fainter Fire Trail west, gentle descent to Pretty Valley Pondage. Walk across this ... on the FT, not the water. Up about 130 metres on the other side, past the memorial cairn on the right, then down to the pole line, about 4 km and 1.5 hours from the start. Most people go down the road, but there's an easier option. Drop packs, take day packs. Keep the height and contour 1.5 km into the saddle south of Jaithmathang where a track is picked up. and climb Jaithmathang, past a creek. (I just typed pasta creek. With anchovies!) Down the track to Tawonga Huts, then up the FT to the packs.
Option: bad weather at the pole line, go to the huts (good flat camping, water) or leave packs at the saddle, then down to the huts.
Back at the packs go uphill for about 30 minutes to pole 333. Go south with Mount Jim on the left. A few poles are down, just follow the foot track. Don't drink the water here - feral horses cause pollution.

After an hour, at pole 267 the main pole line goes west to Dibbins Hut. Take the secondary pole line south to the SEC Hut, often called Youngs Hut. The poles are at long intervals in places, especially the clearings, so be careful. Once you leave the ridge bear generally left. About 500 metres from the hut the track is easier to follow.

This is about 14 km, a few climbs of 1-200 metres, mostly easy gradients, all on tracks except for the pole-saddle bit. You can cut the day short when you reach the pole line - 30 minutes downhill to Tawonga Huts.

Day two
SEC Hut, Mount Jim, Mount Cope, Cope Hut, 16 km, circa 300 metres of climbing, 7-8 hours

Take water for the morning. Back up the track to the treeline at 1740 metres, a good place for a rest. Up to poles 267 and 317. Side trip to Mount Jim. Pole 333 and Cope Saddle where there's a small SEC Hut. About 1.2 km past Cope Saddle where the poles leave the road drop packs for a side-trip to Mount Cope. It's off track but light scrub, easy going, around 140 metres of climbing. If the weather's fine there are good summit views at dawn and dusk, but carting water uphill is painful. Coming back veer a bit right, a little west of true north. This will bring you to the road, so turn left. If you go to the left the road is before the poles, and it's confusing.

Back at the packs, follow the pole line past Cope Creek to Cope Hut. This will be crowded. The campsites are behind the hut, past the toilet, platforms on the left, better spots in the trees further along, costs nothing. Water is in the creek below the hut. It's easier and more certain to pick up water at Cope Creek around 40 minutes from the campsite.

Day three
Cope Hut, Pretty Valley, 4-7 km, flat, 2-4 hours

You can follow the poles back to Cope Saddle but there's a nicer way. From the Cope Hut car park turn the headwaters of the creek on the north (right), then contour west. After about 1.5 hours you will hit the pole line between Cope Saddle and Pretty Valley. Follow the poles or road north to Pretty Valley.

I can write detailed notes if you wish.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby stry » Tue 30 Mar, 2021 3:58 pm

Staceykate,

Best map by a good margin is:

Rooftop's Bright-Dartmouth Adventure Map.

The map has Bright-Bogong-Hotham Forest Activities Map on the reverse.

This covers everything that Lops has described and is very user friendly. Google will find you one, and there used to be (may still be) an outdoor shop in Bright that sold them. Getting one before you leave would be the go, but there should be plenty of sources in the region during retail hours.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 30 Mar, 2021 5:54 pm

The Bogong High Plains , Yes .... my favourite place for walking and XC skiing :-) .

An easy hike ? Try this one.
A loop:
Pretty valley pondage car park/ Tawonga Huts/Young's SEC hut/ Ryder's Hut/ Pretty Valley.
It would take two nights and 3 days and follows pole lines the whole way and finishes where you started , at Pretty Valley. The drive up to Falls Creek and Pretty Valley is pleasant and the walk itself is not very taxing. The views from Pole 267 are good and you should find water easily. Ryder's Hut has no Pit Loo. If that is a deal breaker then ignore this message but eventually you will have to purchase a small trowel, dig a latrine and get over that hurdle when enjoying the outdoors.
I did this trip a couple of summers ago so there should be web link to a trip report somewhere. I did take a short cut sans pole line from Pole 267 to reach the small Dam at the end of the Aqueduct /track/ and pole line that leads to Ryder's hut.

Note to OP. There are many ways to ascend Mt. Bogong , not just via Mtn. Creek. I have done them all except for the nutters and masochists' off track routes.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Postby Staceykate » Tue 30 Mar, 2021 6:44 pm

Thanks everyone for the replies!!!

Hubby is intent on doing Mt Feathertop.... I'll have to convince him to go to Bogong another time.

At the moment it is Day 1 starting at Hotham up Razorback to Fed hut (night 1)
Day 2 summit Feathertop , along Diamantina Spur down to Dibbins hut (night 2)
Day 3 - Dibbins hut back to Hotham

The Avenza mt feathertop map is great! Thanks for all those suggestions :D D: I've downloaded the falls creek and bogong ones too :D
Staceykate
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Lophophaps » Tue 30 Mar, 2021 8:20 pm

Stacy, you have a choice of parking at Diamantina Hut or Loch Car Park. One option is to drop people and packs at the hut, drive to Loch car park, and hitch hike to the hut. This avoids walking on the road (dangerous) or climbing Hotham (hairy in bad weather). At Diamantina Hut park facing downhill, getting the awkward turn over. It's good to get into the cars at the end and just go.

If you start before about 11 am there should be time to bag Feathertop on the first day. Federation Hut will probably be crowded so have a fallback option. A brilliant place is about 15 minutes down the Diamantina track. You can see Federation from the Diamantina turnoff, maybe get an idea of the numbers. An option is to leave packs there, day packs to water and the summit, then back to the packs and camp on the top 15 minutes away. The Federation tank could be dry. The nearest other water is about 15 minutes along the Tom Kneen Track, and if that's not running go along a bit further. Take a cup to bail out the small pool.

Diamantina is a steep hard walk up or down. The short-cut to Blairs has a wet creek crossing. Dibbins will probably also be crowded. Camp near the hut. There's slightly exposed camping at Derrick Hut a few hours up the track. After that it's very exposed walking and no campsites.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Baeng72 » Wed 31 Mar, 2021 5:10 am

Diamantina Spur is a bit of a hero hike as I understand it.
I prefer going up steep tracks, just because it's easier on the knees and if I fall, I have less distance before the splat. Faceplanting on the way down is much more painful. :)

I took a screencap of from current AAWT walker and forum member anotherjonesy's youtube video of his BHP multi-day trek. Going up the Diamantina Spur. (I hope he's OK with my posting the pic and lnk, I stumbled upon it when watching his AAWT videos on the weekend).
diamantina.JPG

Link below if you want to see the video, which has Feathertop, Razorback, and Dibbins Hut (from what I gather he did Hotham=>Dibbins=>BHP=>Mt. Bogong (making figure 8 going down Big River firetrail, over summit, Cleve Cole Hut, T-Spur Duane Spur), over to Tawonga Huts, then Diamantina Spur, Feathertop, Razorback and Hotham.
Diamantina Spur at about 18:10minutes.
Vidoe link https://youtu.be/4iD0VgDWDvo
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Staceykate » Wed 31 Mar, 2021 6:17 am

Thanks everyone.
Honestly pretty nervous about diamantina, but that's the one he's picked. I can go slow on my butt in sections if necessary.

Just wondering whether it's better given the difficulty of diamantina, if we should be summiting feathertop day 1, to allow more time for day 2?

Is it worth getting up for sunrise on feathertop (photos-wise?)
I've done a few sunrises at mountains and found some less than spectacular....Just due to The view for ages, just ends up being a big yellow sky
Staceykate
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Lophophaps » Wed 31 Mar, 2021 6:37 am

Stacy, I suggested camping at the top of Diamantina to make the second day shorter. Also, there's less distance to walk with full packs. Climbing Feathertop on the first day is desirable. The last climb to the summit is steep, rocky and a bit iffy at night. I've never bothered with a Feathertop sunrise. The sunrise will be similar all over. If you camp at the top of Diamantina it's about 15 minutes of flat easy track to the open Razorback

The steep part of Diamantina is rocky; the above pic is a good indication. You will be going down backwards facing in, so you will find it a bit hard to see where to put the feet. Just take care. If it's wet then it will be a lot harder. Consider taking five metres of light rope to lower the packs.

Allow about 4 hours to descend Diamantina and about the same to get to Dibbins.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Xplora » Wed 31 Mar, 2021 6:55 am

Plenty of time either day to summit Feathertop. I left Fed hut about 10:30am once after summiting Feathertop and a side trip to MUMC then down Diamantina with a stop over at Blairs. I have taken people who are relatively inexperienced down Diamantina spur. A walking pole would help but don't be too concerned. The camping platforms at Dibbins have to be booked but at Lops mentioned, camp near the hut (if there is room). I would also take Lops advice about not camping near Fed hut but there is a toilet there if you are game to use it. It will be packed. There is a spring down Bungalow spur also just off the track. Was a sign there once. Best bet would be to pick up water on the way down from Feathertop on the Tom Keen track

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:The Bogong High Plains , Yes .... my favourite place for walking and XC skiing :-) .

An easy hike ? Try this one.
A loop:
Pretty valley pondage car park/ Tawonga Huts/Young's SEC hut/ Ryder's Hut/ Pretty Valley.
It would take two nights and 3 days and follows pole lines the whole way and finishes where you started , at Pretty Valley. The drive up to Falls Creek and Pretty Valley is pleasant and the walk itself is not very taxing. The views from Pole 267 are good and you should find water easily. Ryder's Hut has no Pit Loo. If that is a deal breaker then ignore this message but eventually you will have to purchase a small trowel, dig a latrine and get over that hurdle when enjoying the outdoors.
I did this trip a couple of summers ago so there should be web link to a trip report somewhere. I did take a short cut sans pole line from Pole 267 to reach the small Dam at the end of the Aqueduct /track/ and pole line that leads to Ryder's hut.

Note to OP. There are many ways to ascend Mt. Bogong , not just via Mtn. Creek. I have done them all except for the nutters and masochists' off track routes.

This is a nice easy walk as PCV has mentioned but I can't see it taking 3 days. Easy navigation also. We did this recently as a day walk. It was a full day (9am - 4.30pm with lunch at Youngs) but two days would be more than enough with overnight packs.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Baeng72 » Wed 31 Mar, 2021 6:59 am

Lophophaps wrote:The steep part of Diamantina is rocky; the above pic is a good indication. You will be going down backwards facing in, so you will find it a bit hard to see where to put the feet.

Well, you can go down facing in , but Stacey is young and fit, so surely will go facing out, for maximal faceplantability and hijinks. ;)
In other words, I didn't think of that obvious suggestion.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Wed 31 Mar, 2021 7:44 am

From what the OP has said The Southern Prom is her kind of place which is not super steep , no crab crawling with no water finding issues nor navigational issues. Hence a similar level of ease as a substitute venue for a walking trip would be appropriate.
The Diamantina Spur is a real test of mind over matter , a test of fitness and a pain to ascend and equally tough and hideous to descend it. I have done it both ways in dry weather with a full multi night pack and have no plans to do it again soon.

If the OP has no idea of what this wild and steep category 4 route is like , with its knee busting steep sections and the crab crawling rock section then avoid it and stick with something easy and simple such as the Bogong High Plains.
The ascents from Dibbin's or Blair's hut up either Swindler's spur or Machinery spur back to the Mt. Loch car park are best filed under "Gonad crushers/ Ovary crushers" and are best walked every 3-4-5 years to remind oneself of how demanding they are.
:-0
They just go Up , up and up!!

Hence the loop I have recommended.

Be absolutely clear in your mind That Mt. Bogong , Mt. Feathertop and The Bogong High Plains are three different places.

I know them all well. I have been to summit of Mt. Feathertop in winter in the snow and ice for the sunrise. It is memorable but only for experienced walkers/ winter mountaineers who have ideal 'weather windows'.

I would definitely recommend carrying in extra water from either the spring on the MUMC hut track or the Old Feathertop Hut ruins area spring on the Bungalow spur. That spring is still signposted . The OP should camp at the Top of the Diamantina spur track near High Knob.
It has no toilets or anything. It is a charming bush camping site, one of the best in the area.

I have never camped there and had to share it with another group of walkers/ snow shoes users etc.

Maybe the loop I have recommended might not take the OP 3 days. I was a bit ill and depleted when I did it . Usually one could do it in a day but I went very slowly and camped at Young's SEC Hut and at Ryder's hut and had a very short day on day 3 and walked back to the car at Pretty Valley.
Not Only does it follow pole lines & avoid very steep hills but the junctions have small white metal signs that say This way to ......... Hut etc.
Last edited by paidal_chalne_vala on Thu 01 Apr, 2021 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Postby Lophophaps » Wed 31 Mar, 2021 9:08 am

Xplora wrote:This is a nice easy walk as PCV has mentioned but I can't see it taking 3 days. Easy navigation also. We did this recently as a day walk. It was a full day (9am - 4.30pm with lunch at Youngs) but two days would be more than enough with overnight packs.

Agree. At Easter with shorter daylight, two days is reasonable. My walk above is Pretty Valley, Jaithmathang, SEC/Youngs in a day.

I suggest that on the Diamantina rocky section facing in is the best so that rocks and trees can be held - very necessary - and so that the toes of the boots can find holds. the last 400 metres of altitude are very steep, very rough on the knees. There are signs on the Bungalow Spur at the Bungalow Hut site showing the water. If coming over The Razorback the water on the Tom Kneen Track is better. My map is tatty, but I think that the Bungalow Hut site is about 300 descent from Federation Hut, maybe 1.5 kilometres distance. Tom Kneen water is about 800 metres from The Cross, the junction above Federation, and mainly flat.

From Dibbins the first 300 metres up Swindlers Spur is steep, but there are switchbacks. After that it's a gentle and very pleasant amble to Derrick Hut.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Staceykate » Wed 31 Mar, 2021 10:53 am

Thanks all. Lophophaps - that is great info, super appreciated.

Hubby is intent on doing this particular Feathertop loop - I'm not going to be able to change his mind.

We are going with 3 other hikers who have all done Overland and some other hikes so there is some experience in our group. Prom is a lovely walk and more enjoyable definately from my point of view - however I wouldn't say that was the "limit" of my ability. We did the northern circuit at the Cathedral Ranges a couple of months ago as a day hike - I would say doing that with a full pack would be my daily limit. It's also a grade 4 same as this is meant to be. Has anyone done that, and Diamantina, and can compare?

I am concerned about my knees coming down these steep sections - we have poles, however if doing feathertop summit day 1 means less work on my knees day 2 then that's probably going to be a better idea.

I get that it might not be enjoyable, but considering hubby is intent on doing it, it's more a question of "will I be able to make it" as opposed to " is it going to be fun".

Re camping - we booked dibbins hut so that's fine. Federation I would prefer to camp nearby due to the toilet access (bit scared of bush and snakes for toilet, particuarly at night) I get it might not be a pleasant toilet, but I can hold my breath :lol:
Staceykate
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Baeng72 » Wed 31 Mar, 2021 11:27 am

Staceykate wrote:Thanks all. Lophophaps - that is great info, super appreciated.
I get that it might not be enjoyable, but considering hubby is intent on doing it, it's more a question of "will I be able to make it" as opposed to " is it going to be fun".

You'll make it. But you'll earn it.
I wouldn't go for water on Bungalow Spur except as a last resort, as it is quite a way down vertically, then to trudge back up with sufficient water (1kg per litre).
First option is Fed. Hut tank, it's been wet recently, so a possibility.
If Fed Hut is empty, retrace steps back to Junction of Razorback track that goes from Fed Hut to Feathertop. You'll have been at the junction earlier coming in along the Razorback. After the junction, head towards Feathertop a short distance and a track will veer off to the left, this is the track to MUMC Hut and Tom Kneen track (my map says it's Northwest Spur, but it might already be Tom Kneen, I'll defer to experts on this), there's a spring/creek along there that's fairly reliable. This is the one Lophohaps is referring too as good water I think.
Feathertop 2.JPG
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lophophaps » Wed 31 Mar, 2021 12:02 pm

Stacy, the track from the creek to between North and South Jawbones is similar in steepness to the last 400 metres of Diamantina Spur. Jawbones is at a similar angle to the Diamantina Spur rocky bits. I've done Diamantina three time and Jawbones many times. A description is better than a number. Diamantina is just an ordinary track until about 1540 metres, at which point it gets steep with the two rocky sections. Just take your time and be careful, stop when the knees fade, and you'll be okay.

The creek on Baeng72's map is certain, and there's a smaller creek near the CK in Track. This is the Tom Kneen Track. I suggest going to the Tom Kneen water while you are there. It's about 40 minutes return from The Cross, the Razorback-summit-hut junction. If you get to Federation and the tank is dry then you have to uphill for 10 minutes to the cross, an hour return.

There was no need to book the platforms. If anyone parks themselves on the platform you booked it's tough, nothing you can do. There's a specific exclusion for government agencies to comply with Australian Consumer Law, so no remedies. Have fun fixing the guys to the platform, bad design at Cope Hut.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Baeng72 » Wed 31 Mar, 2021 12:11 pm

Lophophaps wrote: Diamantina is just an ordinary track until about 1540 metres, at which point it gets steep with the two rocky sections. Just take your time and be careful, stop when the knees fade, and you'll be okay.

It looks like the section from 1500 to 1460, and then 1420 to 1340 are steep, especially that later.
Are they really going to include this in the 'Falls to Hotham Alpine crossing'? Maybe an escalator for the "insta" crowd, or Sherpas?
Diamantina2.JPG
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Staceykate » Wed 31 Mar, 2021 1:01 pm

Thanks lophophaps! That is a great description and gives me a better idea... feeling better about the whole thing.

I'll be sore, but alive :p :D
Staceykate
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Lophophaps » Wed 31 Mar, 2021 1:01 pm

I did not take much notice of the location of steep sections except that it was uncomfortably steep to about 1540 metres, with two rocky bits. The gradient was similar for most of this section. The original location of the Falls-Hotham walk was up Diamantina with switchbacks. As the costs increased to rather more than the stupid contractor plan predicted, and as it became apparent that the current walk numbers were well below the plan stated. FHAC was moved to Swindlers Spur. It seems that for now FHAC has been shelved. However, there was a COVID grant, $15 million from memory, and this may be used for FHAC upgrades.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Lophophaps » Thu 01 Apr, 2021 5:46 am

There's another party going up.
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=33305
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby stry » Thu 01 Apr, 2021 6:41 am

As Hubby sounds like he is keen for a challenge, it may be worth reminding him, and achieving group consensus, that in a group; strongest/fittest travels at the BACK.

A competent leader is at the front, and those less capable follow the leader in ascending order of capability.

Far too many budding walkers and cyclists have been turned off by being dragged along in the ever lengthening wake of a far stronger, goal focused "leader"
Last edited by stry on Thu 01 Apr, 2021 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lophophaps » Thu 01 Apr, 2021 8:37 am

Stry, a good point about where the experienced people should be. On a track I put the slowest person immediately behind the leader, making it easier to keep the group together. A competent person should always be at the back. Feathertop is a big climb from Harrietville, a long day trips from Hotham, and a much easier two day trip from Hotham. The hard part is Diamantina, and it's committing in either direction. Camping at or near Federation or Twin Knobs makes it easier to assess fitness and the weather and chose an escape route if necessary.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Staceykate » Thu 01 Apr, 2021 10:28 am

That's great to know! Thanks guys!

So we put me second and then I think we will be right :p

I like the idea of order of ascending fitness... however I also like the idea of Hubby being first so he can see the snakes (he has eyes like an eagle!)
Staceykate
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby stry » Thu 01 Apr, 2021 12:10 pm

Snake folk lore says that the first person wakes them up, the second makes them annoyed, and the third gets bitten; so you should be fine :lol:

Source : My Mum. Verification : Nil (although I have seen a few, mainly blacks, get unknowingly stepped over without incident)
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lophophaps » Thu 01 Apr, 2021 12:23 pm

The version I know is that the snake sees the first person, aims at the second and bites the third. More seriously, long canvas gaiters and leather boots are useful in preventing snake bites. Another way is to stay at home in an apartment.

Stacey, forgot. Could you see if there's a track a short way east of Tom Kneen Track going steeply downhill? Also, is the Tom Kneen Track so signposted, or does the sign say NW Spur?
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Staceykate » Thu 01 Apr, 2021 12:36 pm

I've been waiting on quagmire event gaiters in a small coming back in stock... haven't been in stock in ages :( Don't remind me about snakes!! hahaha

Hopefully we can just keep away from any snakes!

Lophophaps - I will check it out and let you know :)
Staceykate
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Lophophaps » Thu 01 Apr, 2021 3:39 pm

Stacey, most snakes will slither away. Some snakes are aggressive, notably Tiger snakes. Give them room to get away and it's safe. I've seen just a few snakes in the bush. Snakes pick up vibrations, so a bushwalking party with boots is likely to scare snakes away. Sea to Summit have a good range of gaiters, and big gaiters can be adjusted with a domestic sewing machine. Thanks for looking for the track.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Next

Return to Victoria