Mt Buffalo - Dispersed bush camping

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Mt Buffalo - Dispersed bush camping

Postby havanainthebush » Sun 11 Apr, 2021 1:23 pm

Hello,

Am planning on doing an overnight towards Rocky Creek and I know there's a designated (and fully booked) campsite there but would prefer to camp in the bush (leaving no trace, no fires and minimal damage to plants).

I remember in 2016 a ranger I bumped into told me it was fine to bush camp in the area and was wondering if this was still true?

Thanks in advance.
havanainthebush
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: Mt Buffalo - Dispersed bush camping

Postby ChrisJHC » Sun 11 Apr, 2021 1:56 pm

The Park Note states:

Camping
There are unpowered car based camping sites at Lake Catani Campground open from November to April and for a short period during winter for snow camping. In the warmer months, the amenities include the stone hut, hot showers, flushing toilets, and sink areas for dishwashing and laundry. In winter, campers only have access to a pit toilet and the stone hut and need to walk or ski 1km from the closed gate on Mount Buffalo Road.

Remote, minimal impact bush camping is available at Rocky Creek and Mount McLeod campgrounds for a limited number of hikers. Pit toilets are available and fuel stoves are permitted.

Bookings are required for summer and remote camping. Book online at www.parks.vic.gov.au/stay or by contacting the Parks Victoria Information Centre on 13 1963.
ChrisJHC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Return to Victoria