Hike-in/Hike-out Campsites Surf Coast region or Inland

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Hike-in/Hike-out Campsites Surf Coast region or Inland

Postby FNM » Wed 28 Apr, 2021 12:22 pm

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone knows of any campsites in the surf coast area that require a bit of a hike; doesn't have to be a long hike necessarily. I'd been thinking I could drive to the Great Ocean Walk and just do an overnighter by walking in and out along the same stretch - eg, park at 12 Apostles, walk to Devil's Kitchen (west to east) and then back out (east to west) on the same track ... Now realise that the GOW is a one-way only track, which rules that out. Is there anything else in the area (say between Melbourne and Port Campbell - I'm in Bellarine) that has a hike-in/hike-out campsite? .. Goal is to find somewhere 'remote', ie, not accessible by car. Could also be inland - ideally something within 1.5-2hrs of Geelong/Barwon Heads.

Haven't spent any time around Cape Bridgewater, so could make an effort to travel further if necessary.

Am hoping to go today or tomorrow! :D

Cheers
FNM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Hike-in/Hike-out Campsites Surf Coast region or Inland

Postby indented » Wed 28 Apr, 2021 1:19 pm

There's a bunch of trails around Lorne that head in through/around the waterfalls, though most of the campsites are either shared or close to vehicle access.

If you're looking as far as Cape Bridgewater you can do some of the Great South West Walk. I was there in March and there was a couple of people doing a loop from Shelly beach inland to Whites Beach, camp at the Springs hiker camp, then back to Shellly Beach around the coast. As you're OK with doing out and back though you could pick just about any section. There's vehicle access near most campsites but they're mostly hike in only.
indented
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Eremophila » Wed 28 Apr, 2021 1:31 pm

Cape Bridgewater is lovely and the weather's going to be nice for the next few days.

You could leave your car safely at the kiosk, walk anti-clockwise around the Cape and on to The Springs campsite, or Tarragal campsite - both walk-in sites, not exactly "remote" but I reckon you'd be lucky to see anyone else there. Return the same way or take a shortcut along roads. It's pretty much flat walking. Seal viewing is best at low tide when more rocks are exposed.

If you wanted a lift back the Friends of the GSWW could probably assist for a small donation.

Cold beer at the kiosk when you're done !
Eremophila
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby FNM » Wed 28 Apr, 2021 1:37 pm

indented wrote:There's a bunch of trails around Lorne that head in through/around the waterfalls, though most of the campsites are either shared or close to vehicle access.

If you're looking as far as Cape Bridgewater you can do some of the Great South West Walk. I was there in March and there was a couple of people doing a loop from Shelly beach inland to Whites Beach, camp at the Springs hiker camp, then back to Shellly Beach around the coast. As you're OK with doing out and back though you could pick just about any section. There's vehicle access near most campsites but they're mostly hike in only.

Great! Thanks for that! Have just had a look on the map - looks like a good option.
Last edited by FNM on Wed 28 Apr, 2021 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FNM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby FNM » Wed 28 Apr, 2021 1:39 pm

Eremophila wrote:Cape Bridgewater is lovely and the weather's going to be nice for the next few days.

You could leave your car safely at the kiosk, walk anti-clockwise around the Cape and on to The Springs campsite, or Tarragal campsite - both walk-in sites, not exactly "remote" but I reckon you'd be lucky to see anyone else there. Return the same way or take a shortcut along roads. It's pretty much flat walking. Seal viewing is best at low tide when more rocks are exposed.

If you wanted a lift back the Friends of the GSWW could probably assist for a small donation.

Cold beer at the kiosk when you're done !

Thank you - they sound entirely suitable. When I said 'remote', I really just meant away from cars, so not necessarily remote at all! Any idea how long the walk takes from the kiosk to the campsites?
FNM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Eremophila » Wed 28 Apr, 2021 1:39 pm

https://greatsouthwestwalk.com/

The map at the bottom of this page is all you would need, or you could pick up an official booklet in Portland.

The photo next to "Planning Your Walk" is The Springs campsite. There is a water tank and a toilet there.
Eremophila

Postby Eremophila » Wed 28 Apr, 2021 1:46 pm

Looking at the map, I reckon 3-4 hours from the kiosk to The Springs, allowing for plenty of time to check out the seals, petrified "forest" and the blowholes. You could always leave your stuff there and walk down to Bridgewater Lakes and back.
Eremophila

Postby FNM » Wed 28 Apr, 2021 1:59 pm

Eremophila wrote:Looking at the map, I reckon 3-4 hours from the kiosk to The Springs, allowing for plenty of time to check out the seals, petrified "forest" and the blowholes. You could always leave your stuff there and walk down to Bridgewater Lakes and back.

Awesome! Thanks heaps for that info. All I need to know!

Hmm... now decision-time - weighing up Lake Elizabeth for the MTB at Forrest as well!

Cheers
FNM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ChrisJHC » Wed 28 Apr, 2021 6:34 pm

Pretty sure the GOW is one-way for camping only (i.e. you can only book campsites heading west).

Nothing stopping you from walking eastwards to the campsite then westwards back to your car the next day.
ChrisJHC

Return to Victoria