Grampians walk

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Grampians walk

Postby jaktembo » Wed 05 May, 2021 11:35 am

Can anyone tell me if its ok to hike through Bugiga Hiker Camp from Halls gap (21 odd klm). My wife does not enjoy carrying an overnight pack so I was thinking we could drive in and set up camp at Borough Huts the go back to the start and hike through. I don't know the area and I cant find any posts of people who have done this. Cheers.
jaktembo
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Grampians walk

Postby CraigVIC » Wed 05 May, 2021 12:52 pm

Purely a fitness issue, the official times are exaggerated.
CraigVIC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby peregrinator » Wed 05 May, 2021 3:48 pm

CraigVIC is spot on. I've done Halls Gap to Mt Rosea with an overnight pack in five hours, plus stops. Don't have details on what I did after Rosea.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby beckyspain » Sun 23 May, 2021 2:02 pm

I did the GPT in March and loved it. I think it would be doable if you started early and walked fast.
But Bugiga is a much nicer campsite than Borough Huts, and you can park at Rosea carpark and walk about 1/2 to 1km in.
It's nestled amongst the trees, on wooden platforms with amazing views out over eucalyptus gullies.
Still has a toilet and water tank.
I would say, drive in, camp there, and you could do the pinnacle and mt Rosea as day walks with a night at Bugiga between the two.
Bugiga to Mt Rosea is very fun walking, with a bit of rock scrambling, and beautiful vistas. Some of my favourite walking ever.
beckyspain
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby neilmny » Mon 24 May, 2021 9:06 am

beckyspain wrote:I did the GPT in March and loved it. I think it would be doable if you started early and walked fast.
But Bugiga is a much nicer campsite than Borough Huts, and you can park at Rosea carpark and walk about 1/2 to 1km in.
It's nestled amongst the trees, on wooden platforms with amazing views out over eucalyptus gullies.
Still has a toilet and water tank.
I would say, drive in, camp there, and you could do the pinnacle and mt Rosea as day walks with a night at Bugiga between the two.
Bugiga to Mt Rosea is very fun walking, with a bit of rock scrambling, and beautiful vistas. Some of my favourite walking ever.

Don't forget the platforms are not freebees.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby beckyspain » Mon 24 May, 2021 7:15 pm

True, neilmny, but neither are the sites at Borough Huts :( For two people I think the prices are pretty similar
beckyspain
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Victoria