Razorback ridge this weekend

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: Razorback ridge this weekend

Postby Baeng72 » Mon 28 Jun, 2021 8:00 am

My kids just look at me and hope they don't turn out like me, which I think most kids think about their parents.
But a dictionary definition doesn't define neutrality, it defines the brute meaning* of a word.

For example, these two sentences describe the same facts, but one is not neutral.

1) You are clearly triggered and your hectoring description of the rules, whilst correct, is bordering on lecturing.
2) You description of the rules is correct.

And to end (hopefully), my gibberish, I agree, I have memories of the Prom from a trip taken with relatives when I was young that have made the now defunct Ferny Glade almost magical in my mind.

*If a words main or only meaning is non-neutral, then the dictionary will indicate that.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby lbogliolo » Mon 28 Jun, 2021 8:16 am

If I may jump in looking for advice... I'm planning to do a similar hike: park in Harrietville and take the bus up to Hotham, snowshoe along the razorback, camp and walk down to Harrietville next day. Does anyone know if you can ask to be dropped off at Diamantina Hut on the Snowball Express? Or is that a big no no and you have to walk down the road from Hotham? Cheers.
lbogliolo
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Xplora » Mon 28 Jun, 2021 8:18 am

Smellypaddler wrote:Wow, I remember why I don't like internet forums now.

I'm assuming everyone who is triggered by the mention of a small fire also packs out their human waste on every trip both summer and winter.

You won't find a fire scar unless you dig up my turd. I dug a 30cm deep hole that was about 20-30cm square and had a small fire in it. In the morning I took a nice dump with a view, stirred up the poop with the ash and filled in the hole.

During proper winter conditions I take a poop tube and pack out my waste so as not to leave frozen turds on the trail for when the snow thaws. My lack of respect for the environment is obviously huge.

The youngest climber to summit Everest was 13 years old. The reason I mention that is that everyone's level of skills, experience, knowledge and level of acceptable risk is different. Whereas you may not be comfortable taking small children along an easy trail in the Australian winter shoulder season I am. The same way I was happy to take my child on a mid winter ascent of Mount Angelus without a tent.

Don't take things too personally. I think you will have much to contribute if you stick around. It takes time in any community for people to get to know who you really are and your level of experience. Also some people have a way of writing things which maybe does not show their real intent or meaning. I can be like that and people have taken my words hard at times here. Hope you haven't. I think what you have done with your daughter is great. I did warn you about Sunday but the weather improved and it is part of the experience. Please stick around.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Xplora » Mon 28 Jun, 2021 8:21 am

lbogliolo wrote:If I may jump in looking for advice... I'm planning to do a similar hike: park in Harrietville and take the bus up to Hotham, snowshoe along the razorback, camp and walk down to Harrietville next day. Does anyone know if you can ask to be dropped off at Diamantina Hut on the Snowball Express? Or is that a big no no and you have to walk down the road from Hotham? Cheers.

Just call them up and ask. One driver may drop you off but company policy may not allow it. Hard to know.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lophophaps » Mon 28 Jun, 2021 9:47 am

It may better to ask the driver. A phone call could be from someone attempting to to see if the company will stop in what I understand is a no stopping zone. A better place for the bus may be Loch car park, a bit wider and downhill for the bus. The disadvantage for a Razorback walker is the kilometre or so of road to Diamantina Hut, especially in bad weather. In summer I've been dropped at a number of points from StBernard to JB Plain.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sat 10 Jul, 2021 9:57 pm

You can snow shoe walk or Nordic ski over the summit of Mt. Hotham. In bad weather in white season I cannot recommend this.

I was up at Hotham/ JB Plain this week doing some Nordic skiing on 6/7/21. The Mt. Loch car park is a busy place right near a ski lift queue .The option of trekking up the Bon Accord Spur is there for the fit and adventurous who have an extra day to add to the loop. You can snow camp at the BA spur hut ruins site and melt snow for water. You need to pick a good weather window. The following seven days as of tomorrow will not be clear and sunny and Sat. July 17th will be very cold and snowy indeed.
I know this is a bush walking web site and winter mountaineering is part of that but I do think learning to Nordic/XC ski is also worthwhile activity that all Bushwalkers should try .
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Wed 11 Aug, 2021 2:52 pm

There is another Razorback near Mt. Wills and another near Mt. Stirling. There would have to be another one somewhere else too. The variety used in naming various places has not been a high point in the story of white settlement of the Vic. Alps.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Xplora » Thu 12 Aug, 2021 8:09 am

There are also two Mt Buggery's quite close to each other.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Thu 12 Aug, 2021 10:46 am

And at least two Miserys, not to mention the plethora of Spion Kopjes. They really ought to dig out some indigenous names to attach to some (or all) to reduce the potential confusion.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Baeng72 » Thu 12 Aug, 2021 10:47 am

Don't forget the Mt Sugarloafs and I think there are a few Big Hills.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Thu 12 Aug, 2021 8:45 pm

There is another Razorback just North of Pineapple flat along the King River.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Previous

Return to Victoria