Wilsons Prom - Closed sections

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Wilsons Prom - Closed sections

Postby Dexter » Mon 04 Oct, 2021 8:02 pm

Hi all,

I was just in the middle of planning a walk in December down to southern point, and back up to Oberon Bay when I noticed the coastal section back into Tidal was closed. I do remember hearing about 6 months back the prom coped some storm damage, and I assume this is result. Does anyone know how up to date the website is? And how severe the damage is? I'm just wondering if anyone has any extra info or likely timeline for repairs, and wondering if there's any chance they will have it safe to walk again this summer. I'm sure I can find a substitute walk in the mean time.

Cheers!
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Wilsons Prom - Closed sections

Postby CraigVIC » Tue 05 Oct, 2021 11:23 am

You could give them a call. Relative to other parks it's pretty easy to get a ranger on the phone and get it from the horses mouth.

Track repairs can take years in the worst case. Tramlink in the Otways is supposed to be repaired next year, that'll be more than 4 years closed.
CraigVIC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Dexter » Tue 05 Oct, 2021 11:42 am

CraigVIC wrote:You could give them a call. Relative to other parks it's pretty easy to get a ranger on the phone and get it from the horses mouth.

Track repairs can take years in the worst case. Tramlink in the Otways is supposed to be repaired next year, that'll be more than 4 years closed.

Ouch!

Yep - gave them a call. For anyone who searches this later on, they are tentatively working on a timeline for Spring 2022. I was mainly interested in the Oberon Bay coastal track so didn't inquire much about Sealers. They mentioned that no work had been started, and they weren't even sure how they were going to tackle it yet. Possibly something man made would need to be introduced. I've never been through that section before but he mentioned that a large sand dune near a creek had been wiped out and that was where the issue getting through is. I assume he means Growler Creek?

Anyway - Either a change of route, or a different walk for us I think. Hopefully it's not out of action for 4 years!
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Baeng72 » Tue 05 Oct, 2021 2:23 pm

Thanks! I'm planning of taking the family to Oberon for a hike when permitted. We are walking in/out Telegraph Saddle via Telegraph Junction. It's an easy walk down, no great views, and a bit of a slog out for unfit bodies from Macalister Creek back to the Saddle.
Should get the legs working after my lockdown sloth!
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Dexter » Tue 05 Oct, 2021 2:37 pm

Baeng72 wrote:Thanks! I'm planning of taking the family to Oberon for a hike when permitted. We are walking in/out Telegraph Saddle via Telegraph Junction. It's an easy walk down, no great views, and a bit of a slog out for unfit bodies from Macalister Creek back to the Saddle.
Should get the legs working after my lockdown sloth!

Yeah it's going to be a little tough at first. I've been trying to keep some fitness up on my bike, but there's nothing quite like walking with a pack on. I would look at booking soon if you intend to camp at Oberon. The campsites already seem to be selling for early Dec when I was looking yesterday. Oberon seemed to have plenty of dates, but I wouldn't mind betting it gets swamped as soon as we are free. I asked if they are refundable if we are in lockdown or restrictions stop us from being able to go and I was assured it could be refunded.
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sat 09 Oct, 2021 8:51 pm

The Prom , IMHO , will become booked out as soon as the Melb. lock down ends. I am planning some Vic. Alps treks already .The Great SW walk could be good but also quite busy .People who love nature and walking have been cooped up too long.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Postby Baeng72 » Sat 09 Oct, 2021 10:07 pm

I'm booked for a Sunday in Nov. Saturday's were all booked out.
I'll be heading up to the high country to soon after too.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Dexter » Sat 09 Oct, 2021 10:25 pm

Yep! It's going to get crazy out on those trails! :shock:

Baeng72 wrote:I'm booked for a Sunday in Nov. Saturday's were all booked out.

Interested to hear back on how it was, and if you spot the damage on the coastal section near Oberon bay.
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Baeng72 » Thu 11 Nov, 2021 2:25 pm

Baeng72 wrote:I'm booked for a Sunday in Nov. Saturday's were all booked out.

The weather is *&%$#! this Sunday, so won't drag kids down for a cold, wet overnighter.
Tried to change date, but Prom. Office said that management had said no date changes of bookings for bad weather.
Must be booked out, or something?
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Dexter » Thu 11 Nov, 2021 6:19 pm

It wouldn't surprise me. Everyone is trying to get out and escape their houses lately. I've also noticed the forecasts are really inaccurate of late. Hopefully they're wrong and it turns out to be better than expected.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sat 20 Nov, 2021 9:04 am

I am considering a walk at The Prom but key sections of walking routes are closed. The P.V. website for the Prom says this:

"Sealers Cove Walking Track Closed
Sealers Cove Walking Track and Boardwalk is closed between Telegraph Saddle and Sealers Cove until further notice.
Sealers Cove Campsite is only accessible via Refuge Cove which is a 25km hike from Telegraph Saddle.
Little Oberon Bay Walking Track Closed
Little Oberon Bay Walking Track is closed between Norman Point and Oberon Bay until further notice.

Oberon Bay Campsite is only accessible via Telegraph Track.
Sealers Cove Track Closed From Refuge Cove
As a result from recent storm events, the track from Refuge Cove to Sealers Cove is closed. Our team is busy working on the track to remove fallen trees. Until this is clear access to Sealers Cove is not permitted and camping is not available.
Lilly Pilly Boardwalk
Due to recent storm damage the Lilly Pilly boardwalk is closed until further notice. Lilly Pilly Circuit nd Mount Bishop is still open and can be completed.
"
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby bigkev » Sat 20 Nov, 2021 10:20 am

It makes me wonder some times whether that as the effects of climate change intensify in the future - while at the same time our land managers get more risk averse due to (I'm assuming) public liability issues, we'll ever be able to legally access some of our favourite spots :cry:

One of the issues PV have to deal with I think, is that once they've identified a hazard and put in a control measure (ie, a bridge, steps, boardwalk, etc) then they have to make sure that the control measure is safe. It's off topic a bit, however this will probably be an issue on the new Grampians track I think.
bigkev
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sat 20 Nov, 2021 1:07 pm

Parks Vic. simply don 't have the money and personnel to adequately manage the walking tracks and attendant infrastructure that is already in place in our Nat. Parks in Vic... The VIC. Lib Labs spending money on building these wanky " Iconic walks" ( they just WISH Tasmania and NZ were part of VIC. ) will again further deplete some favourite locations such as the Prom. of sorely needed funding, labour, action and interventions.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby CaptainC » Mon 22 Nov, 2021 7:09 am

These tracks have been closed since the storms in June. I don't think any have reopened yet. I agree with Bigkev that more frequent disasters due to climate change and risk averse land managers make this likely to be more and more common in future. I also agree with PaidalChaine that PV and the State Government are more and more seeing National Parks as a source of big bucks from wealthy people using expensive tourist friendly infrastructure and are less and less interested in
r the tax paying peons who who just want to enjoy the bush. Unfortunately I don't see the State opposition as likely to reverse this.
CaptainC
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 23 Nov, 2021 1:30 pm

Parks Vic. are at the mercy of VIC. Lib Labs' Govt. policy which is to give them FA x 2 funding and then kill the goose that lays the golden egg by means of private profit development within the Nat. Parks so some obese cashed up bogans can be wheeled into somewhere that was unspoiled and be lodged within a soft c*ck glamper lodge.

Do not trot out the so called " gate keeper " argument for my edification thank you very much.

. Nat. parks are for conservation and low impact recreation.
Well not any more they are for that or so it would seem.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Baeng72 » Mon 06 Dec, 2021 3:58 pm

Got to do an overnighter with family to Oberon Bay campsite.
Walked up the northern end of beach and Growlers creek is fine.
There was a sign at the start of the track to little Oberon Bay, but didn't get close enough to read it, I'd say the damage is at little Oberon Bay or close to it.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby prawn » Sat 05 Feb, 2022 7:14 pm

Would this walk still be recommended with the closed sections? Was looking at doing a 3 day trip there with nights at Refuge Cove and Roaring Meg but it seems like the closed sections are a large part of the circuit's appeal
prawn
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sat 05 Feb, 2022 9:29 pm

You can walk out to 5 Mile Beach and Jonny Souey cove without needing to fill in the "I promise not to call for help " form that is usually required for Northern Prom. hikers.
Two nights at 5 Mile Beach allows you to walk to the southern end as a day walk using 5 Mile beach as a base camp.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Drew » Sun 12 Jun, 2022 5:50 pm

Has anyone got an update on the Little Oberon and Sealers Cove track closures? It's been a long time now.
Drew

Postby Joris » Mon 13 Jun, 2022 10:53 am

Drew wrote:Has anyone got an update on the Little Oberon and Sealers Cove track closures? It's been a long time now.

In case you have not checked the PV website - no change in status is apparent, nor is there an indication of a timeline towards completion. Current outstanding issues are:

"Sealers Cove Walking Track and Boardwalk is closed between Telegraph Saddle and Sealers Cove until further notice.
Sealers Cove Campsite is only accessible via Refuge Cove which is a 25km hike from Telegraph Saddle."

AND

"Little Oberon Walking Track is closed between Norman Point and Oberon Bay until further notice due to significant erosion to the track.
Oberon Bay Campsite is only accessible via Telegraph Saddle Walking Track until further notice."

Could be a while it seems....
Joris
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Drew » Mon 13 Jun, 2022 11:02 am

Joris wrote:
Drew wrote:Has anyone got an update on the Little Oberon and Sealers Cove track closures? It's been a long time now.

In case you have not checked the PV website - no change in status is apparent, nor is there an indication of a timeline towards completion. Current outstanding issues are:

"Sealers Cove Walking Track and Boardwalk is closed between Telegraph Saddle and Sealers Cove until further notice.
Sealers Cove Campsite is only accessible via Refuge Cove which is a 25km hike from Telegraph Saddle."

AND

"Little Oberon Walking Track is closed between Norman Point and Oberon Bay until further notice due to significant erosion to the track.
Oberon Bay Campsite is only accessible via Telegraph Saddle Walking Track until further notice."

Could be a while it seems....

Thanks Joris. Yep, I had checked the website and was planning to call Tidal River but wondered if anyone might have the inside word (given that Tidal River are often not that useful for anything but the most routine questions). Seems amazing that such popular tracks can be closed for so long. I guess there's not a lot of demand in winter though.
Drew

Postby Drew » Wed 15 Jun, 2022 10:27 am

According to Tidal River they're hoping to have the Sealers Track open by Cup Weekend. Oberon hopefully sooner than that but she couldn't elaborate.
Drew

Postby Dexter » Fri 24 Jun, 2022 12:34 pm

Drew wrote:According to Tidal River they're hoping to have the Sealers Track open by Cup Weekend. Oberon hopefully sooner than that but she couldn't elaborate.

Thanks for checking. Been keeping an eye on this and hoping that it will open back up this year.
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sun 24 Jul, 2022 9:44 am

If Sealers' cove walking track can be reopened by November then I would be pleased. I have not walked the full Southern loop of the Prom. for years!
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Baeng72 » Sun 24 Jul, 2022 3:07 pm

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:If Sealers' cove walking track can be reopened by November then I would be pleased. I have not walked the full Southern loop of the Prom. for years!

How many days would you reckon for a Southern Loop?
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Drew » Sun 24 Jul, 2022 8:02 pm

Baeng72 wrote:
paidal_chalne_vala wrote:If Sealers' cove walking track can be reopened by November then I would be pleased. I have not walked the full Southern loop of the Prom. for years!

How many days would you reckon for a Southern Loop?

As few as 2 nights or as many as 5 or 6 nights. In summer we often spent a couple of nights at Refuge or Little Waterloo to have a lazy beach day (not that you often get real beach weather at the Prom!).
Drew

Postby Dexter » Sun 24 Jul, 2022 8:48 pm

Im still hanging out for them to open it. Such a fun place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Baeng72 » Mon 25 Jul, 2022 5:27 am

Thanks, I've not done a full circuit yet. Just 2 nighters like LWB-Sealer from Telelgraph Saddle or LWB-Oberon finishing at Tidal.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Mon 25 Jul, 2022 8:54 am

Last time I did the full Southern Loop it took 3 nights and four days. IIRC I led a VNPA group out to Sealers' Cove for the first night , LIttle Waterloo Bay for the second night and Roaring Leech I mean Roaring Meg for the third night with a side trip along the way to the Lighthouse, just to look around.
The last day was back to Tidal river by way of Oberon Bay and Little Oberon Bay.
I doubt if Little Oberon Bay will be reopened in time for November 2022 . In that event one would have to walk up the entire Telegraph track to get back to Tidal River.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Baeng72 » Mon 25 Jul, 2022 9:17 am

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:Last time I did the full Southern Loop it took 3 nights and four days. IIRC I led a VNPA group out to Sealers' Cove for the first night , LIttle Waterloo Bay for the second night and Roaring Leech I mean Roaring Meg for the third night with a side trip along the way to the Lighthouse, just to look around.
The last day was back to Tidal river by way of Oberon Bay and Little Oberon Bay.
I doubt if Little Oberon Bay will be reopened in time for November 2022 . In that event one would have to walk up the entire Telegraph track to get back to Tidal River.

Cool. The walk from Waterloo to Roaring Meg seems like it has a bit of effort required. The final day from Roaring Meg up to Telegraph Saddle could be a bit stifling if the suns beating down and no breeze, but probably no worse than Miranda creek to the 5 Mile carpark.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Next

Return to Victoria