Grampians Peaks Trail

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: Grampians peak trail

Postby ggorgeman » Tue 29 Mar, 2022 1:05 pm

neustace wrote:Planning to hike from Roses Gap through to Halls Gap (N2-4) on the Grampians Peak trail in 2 weeks. Does anyone know the water status at Gar and werdung campgrounds? Parks Vic say they have tanks at roses gap road and mount difficult road but that would mean carrying 2 days of hiking plus water for meal. Not crazy about that idea

Definitely a tank at the new Troopers Creek campsite on Roses Gaps road, almost adjoining the GPT trailhead for the section up to Gar (Mt Difficult). I didn't recall a tank at the trailhead carpark; however it's only approx 200m to the Troopers Creek campsite. Then another tank at the GPT Gar campsite which is the next GPT site up/along the trail. Both tanks were very full 3 weeks ago when I was there, heavy showers had been through 24 hours prior. Not sure though what the draw-down has been like over 3 weeks, I think it has been dry since then.

Not sure if there is a tank at Werdug, the next site on (and last site before reaching Halls Gap from memory).
ggorgeman
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Grampians Peaks Trail

Postby Baeng72 » Tue 29 Mar, 2022 3:17 pm

As a fallback, if there's no water at Gar campsite, instead of following GPT to eastern side of Mt Difficult range, head past summit and down to Long Point West. There's a water tank there, which may still be useful. Then head to Long Point East, you'll cross a few creeks that may have water (MacKenzie River) and then head back to GPT via Long Point East, there's a spring after it. A bit of a meander, and I can't vouch for any of those having water now, so only as a fallback, not suggested route.
Baeng72
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Re: Grampians Peaks Trail - Open??

Postby jimjim » Wed 15 Jun, 2022 2:45 pm

jimjim wrote:
This track is being constructed to footpath standard...

Well, that's not quite right....

While some sections are indeed of footpath standard there are some sections (where the money ran out???) that are very rough. It appears that vegetation has been cleared and that's it. Loose, jumbled and slippery boulders underfoot for 100s of meters on steep hill sides. At lease there are a few route markers epoxied to rocks indicating the way.

If it is wet, snowing or very windy, be particularly careful on the section descending from the Seven Dials and the "new" section descending to and from Banksia Hill on the major Mitchell Plateau (especially considering the exposure to bad weather in this part of the trail).

I'd also recommend having shoes that you are confident in when on wet, icy, mossy and lichenous rocks. There are long sections of bare rock that present hazards when wet (any time of year).

But it IS fantastic!!
jimjim
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: Grampians Peaks Trail - Open??

Postby Warin » Wed 15 Jun, 2022 3:27 pm

jimjim wrote:
jimjim wrote:While some sections are indeed of footpath standard there are some sections (where the money ran out???) that are very rough.

Rough or 'natural'? The section up to Mt Rosa is ... um... 'natural' :lol: taking a full back pack through the rocks (you need to go under some) would be 'strenuous'.

Full agree on wet = very slippery. My Salomons XA pros could have been better. Might give La Sportivas a try next, probably a trade off of traction vs longevity. Even at a loss of longevity I'd rather have traction.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby skybeau » Mon 25 Jul, 2022 6:39 pm

Quick q on the GPT.

We are locked in to hike a few sections (Gar to Jimmy Creek) over the school holidays. How does a trekking pole tent go on the tent platforms? We've got a Gossamer Gear Two and just wondering how it'll go on those platforms, I can imagine the tip of the poles slipping if not embedded. Any tips for keeping them in place?
skybeau
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Drew » Mon 25 Jul, 2022 7:00 pm

skybeau wrote:Quick q on the GPT.

We are locked in to hike a few sections (Gar to Jimmy Creek) over the school holidays. How does a trekking pole tent go on the tent platforms? We've got a Gossamer Gear Two and just wondering how it'll go on those platforms, I can imagine the tip of the poles slipping if not embedded. Any tips for keeping them in place?

I've used my X-mid on tent platforms in the Western Arthurs. Nor problems with the pole slipping (can't remember if I pitched handles-up or down). I used cup hooks to give me flexibility with tie-outs. Cup hooks are easy to screw into timber platforms but I don't know what the GPT platforms are made of.
Drew

Postby Baeng72 » Tue 26 Jul, 2022 8:47 am

Drew wrote:
skybeau wrote:Quick q on the GPT.

I've used my X-mid on tent platforms in the Western Arthurs. Nor problems with the pole slipping (can't remember if I pitched handles-up or down). I used cup hooks to give me flexibility with tie-outs. Cup hooks are easy to screw into timber platforms but I don't know what the GPT platforms are made of.

Maybe some fish bone anchors like these: https://www.amazon.com.au/BONANA-Ultral ... B07WDHL6XK
You can pick them up cheaply from Aliexpress/Amazon/ebay.
Authorities are sometimes unhappy with cup screws/hooks chewing into platforms.
I have used platforms a few times and not had issues with trekking pole tent.
Baeng72

Postby CraigVIC » Thu 25 Aug, 2022 10:30 am

A bit slow on this reply but the platforms have adjustable chains (Gar, Werdug) and are easy to use. I would take an xmid without worries. Bugiga are different and you'll need to tie cord to a wire around the circumference. It's a pain but easy enough. The boards are set too close for fish bone anchors and the wood is incredibly dense making cup hooks a struggle. I believe there the new chained platforms for the rest but haven't personally walked it.

Also, Gar is exposed so be prepared for setting your tent for windy weather.
CraigVIC

Previous

Return to Victoria