Yarra Ranges National Park this weekend!

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Postby ChrisJHC » Mon 18 Oct, 2021 7:37 am

With the relaxation of some COVID restrictions this Friday, the Yarra Ranges National Park is now within reach of all Melburnians.

Looking to do an overnighter - possibly the Maroondah Dam to Mount Tanglefoot Loop.

Hopefully see you out there - just don’t take “my” camp site!
ChrisJHC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Re: Yarra Ranges National Park this weekend!

Postby Baeng72 » Mon 18 Oct, 2021 8:30 am

I should head up to Warburton and do part of the walk into History or something to get the fat *&%$#! working again!
I would normally do the Mason's Falls/Running creek circuit as it has a *&%$#! of a climb that gets you working, but to get there by road, I have to leave Metro Melbourne for less than 10Ks from around Kinglake West till the park boundary...Strange the way it's organized.
You'll hear me, before you see me if I'm out wherever you're going, there'll be this loud puffing and cursing as I stumble along. :)
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby EGM » Mon 18 Oct, 2021 11:33 am

Is that the only state Park or np within metro?
I was going to have a look on a map but haven't got around to it yet.
Telling myself I can wait the extra 10 days or so but I'm not so sure.
EGM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ChrisJHC » Mon 18 Oct, 2021 5:09 pm

Oops - the northern part of the Yarra Ranges National Park is outside Yarra Ranges Shire.

Will have to amend my plans slightly to remain inside Melbourne Metro.
ChrisJHC

Postby indented » Wed 03 Nov, 2021 7:59 am

Baeng72 wrote:I should head up to Warburton and do part of the walk into History or something to get the fat *&%$#! working again!
I would normally do the Mason's Falls/Running creek circuit as it has a *&%$#! of a climb that gets you working, but to get there by road, I have to leave Metro Melbourne for less than 10Ks from around Kinglake West till the park boundary...Strange the way it's organized.
You'll hear me, before you see me if I'm out wherever you're going, there'll be this loud puffing and cursing as I stumble along. :)

I had a similar thought though without much time decided to do the short loop around the Ada tree to Fed Mill campsite for a quick overnight stop. Hadn't been to Fed Mill in a couple of years and they've really put a lot of work in. Last time I was there it was just a small clearing but they've installed 3 tent platforms, a couple of new fire pits and a shelter with a couple of picnic tables.

I had the same issue with Mason's Falls as I use that for a regular training loop, it's a good challenge and not too far from home. The whole walk is inside metro but you can't get there without entering regional! At least now we can get out there. I had Sugarloaf Reservoir in as an alternate if things dragged on any further.
indented
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby ChrisJHC » Wed 03 Nov, 2021 4:58 pm

indented wrote:
Baeng72 wrote:I should head up to Warburton and do part of the walk into History or something to get the fat *&%$#! working again!

I had a similar thought though without much time decided to do the short loop around the Ada tree to Fed Mill campsite for a quick overnight stop. Hadn't been to Fed Mill in a couple of years and they've really put a lot of work in. Last time I was there it was just a small clearing but they've installed 3 tent platforms, a couple of new fire pits and a shelter with a couple of picnic tables.

I had the same issue with Mason's Falls as I use that for a regular training loop, it's a good challenge and not too far from home. The whole walk is inside metro but you can't get there without entering regional! At least now we can get out there. I had Sugarloaf Reservoir in as an alternate if things dragged on any further.
Last time I was up that way I was attacked by leeches. How were they this time?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ChrisJHC

Postby indented » Thu 04 Nov, 2021 7:34 am

ChrisJHC wrote:Last time I was up that way I was attacked by leeches. How were they this time?

The leeches were numerous and persistent! Luckily I didn't have any latch on, managed to spot them and flick them off before they got me. Spotted three on my shoe at once while sitting by the fire, climbing their way up towards my leg...
indented
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby ChrisJHC » Thu 04 Nov, 2021 12:28 pm

This is yet another area where hammocks are superior to tents!
:)
ChrisJHC

Postby Dexter » Fri 05 Nov, 2021 8:44 am

I was going to head there this weekend, but seems like it could rain all day Saturday. Not that I mind all that much but it was a group decision between me and two of my friends and I know they would rather not spend a whole day walking in the rain. The leeches were pretty bad last year when I was there and it was somewhat dryer. I can only imagine how keen they are right now. Also some sections between Starlings and Ada 2 would be a mud pit haha. It's actually pretty fascinating how crafty leeches seem to be getting on to you. I wore gaiters last time and they still managed to get under and suck my ankle blood! To be fair, I would much rather leeches than mozzies.

Anyone found any good anti-leech ideas? We put on deet last time and were convinced it seemed to help... maybe just placebo effect though.
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby CraigVIC » Fri 05 Nov, 2021 9:58 am

Best thing is to just keep moving, less stops, less problems when it comes to leeches.
CraigVIC

Return to Victoria