Torbreck access.

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Torbreck access.

Postby CraigVIC » Fri 26 Nov, 2021 11:59 am

Does anyone know the state of Barnewall Plaines rd through to the picnic ground? Would a suv do it and, if not, is there space to park at the gate?
CraigVIC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Re: Torbreck access.

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sat 27 Nov, 2021 8:45 am

You will not get an SUV up the track to Barnewall plains picnic table area.That track is a lifted high clearance full time low range gears 4 x 4 vehicles route only. The gate may remain locked even in Green season due to the wash outs and erosion which the first steep segment of the track is subject to

You can get an SUV with A/T tyres close to the winter gate on Con's Gap rd. .Park there and then walk. Take a chainsaw.It has been windy lately and the wet weather has loosened many trees' roots. There is space to park and turn around up there. I have been up there in white season and in green / leech season. Both times I parked on the main logging road walked all the way to the top with my friend.
Last edited by paidal_chalne_vala on Sun 28 Nov, 2021 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Postby CraigVIC » Sat 27 Nov, 2021 9:02 am

Thanks for the info pcv.
CraigVIC

Postby gmac » Sat 27 Nov, 2021 3:03 pm

Hi CraigVIC

The following youtube link (hope it works) may assist as it was done this past winter with the approach from the locked gate on the Eildon Jamieson Road side. You can clearly see the road and some of the picnic area in the footage.

Hiking to a HIDDEN GEM in the snow | Mount Torbreck summit hike near Eildon, Victoria | Travel vlog

Few years since I was there (non winter) but the approach from that side up to the picnic area was fine and we did both the Avro site and the summit, really good day out

Gary Mac
gmac
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sun 28 Nov, 2021 1:56 pm

paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby CraigVIC » Sun 28 Nov, 2021 8:51 pm

Thanks guys. Obviously it won't stop me from walking it given the distance involved. I was just weighing up a camp at the bottom. Cheers.
CraigVIC

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Mon 29 Nov, 2021 8:50 am

The Mt. Torbreck walk is STEEP. I don't remember seeing a water source near the Barnewall plains picnic area but I have not been there recently. It has been very wet this spring . You might find water somewhere.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby CraigVIC » Sun 05 Dec, 2021 4:09 pm

I went up on the weekend. Cons Gap rd is in very good nick but as per pcv's comments above Barnewall is far too rough for a regular car. Beautiful, undeveloped walk with great views (with a bit of effort to obtain a vantage). Lots of logging coupes all around it.
CraigVIC

Return to Victoria