Advice for accessing the Crosscut Saw

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: Advice for accessing the Crosscut Saw

Postby north-north-west » Fri 19 Aug, 2022 10:09 am

Yep. There used to be a parking spot just inside the turn off but I don't know if it's still there. If you're going up when the gate is closed, you might be able to park near that.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Baeng72 » Fri 19 Aug, 2022 10:12 am

north-north-west wrote:Yep. There used to be a parking spot just inside the turn off but I don't know if it's still there. If you're going up when the gate is closed, you might be able to park near that.

That would be the gate just after the T intersection on the map?
I'm going soon, it's either 8 mile spur and up the Bluff (that sounds inappropriate for some reason?) or Lake Cobbler and a more gentle hike to Mt Spec.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby bigkev » Fri 19 Aug, 2022 12:21 pm

There is normally room for a car or two at the top of the Lake Cobbler Access Track - I wouldn't try driving down in 2wd unless you have some good clearance and skills.

I pulled this dunnydoor out a few years ago on a trip up there...

Pulling a car out from Cobbler Lake.JPG
I pulled thos bloke up from the Cobble access road a few years ago.
Pulling a car out from Cobbler Lake.JPG (131.09 KiB) Viewed 10918 times
bigkev
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Baeng72 » Fri 19 Aug, 2022 1:48 pm

bigkev wrote:There is normally room for a car or two at the top of the Lake Cobbler Access Track - I wouldn't try driving down in 2wd unless you have some good clearance and skills.

Hey BigKev! How's it going?
I won't be heading down to the Lake, my only interest is to plonk myself within striking distance of Mt. Spec if I go that way.
Had a totally silly idea of putting the mountain bike in the car, and riding to Mt. Spec from Lake Cobbler with pack on.
I think given my proven ability to hurt myself, that would be a recipe for comedy and a short trip.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Baeng72 » Fri 19 Aug, 2022 5:45 pm

What's the best, up to date weather site?
BOM Mt Buller forecast went from 2-8mm tomorrow to 15-20mm (which I think might be rubbish if showers all day and can't see much), but weatherzone is saying 1-5mm.
There's always next weekend or Sunday for a day-trip.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby bigkev » Fri 19 Aug, 2022 8:29 pm

Baeng72 wrote:
bigkev wrote:There is normally room for a car or two at the top of the Lake Cobbler Access Track - I wouldn't try driving down in 2wd unless you have some good clearance and skills.

I won't be heading down to the Lake, my only interest is to plonk myself within striking distance of Mt. Spec if I go that way.
Had a totally silly idea of putting the mountain bike in the car, and riding to Mt. Spec from Lake Cobbler with pack on.
I think given my proven ability to hurt myself, that would be a recipe for comedy and a short trip.

I thought of doing the same thing for a food drop on my AAWT walk a few years back - I'm thinking that about 30% of the distance would be hike-a-bike. the rest should be rideable...unless it snows!
bigkev
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby icefest » Fri 19 Aug, 2022 10:16 pm

Baeng72 wrote:
paidal_chalne_vala wrote:Taking a 2 WD to Lake Cobbler from Whitfield : I would park at the top and not try to descend to the creek crossing and camp site near the basic Lake Cobbler hut. Take a chainsaw.

So, is that the T intersection, where you could either head down to the lake on the side-road, or continue on the 4WD track toward Mt. Spec?

Yeah, Past that T intersection is either complex 4wd or Ghetto 2wd adventure driving (I last took my fiesta in there in June, but the ford is calf deep and the rock crawling at the start requires finesse!)
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Xplora » Sat 20 Aug, 2022 7:39 am

bigkev wrote:
Baeng72 wrote:

I thought of doing the same thing for a food drop on my AAWT walk a few years back - I'm thinking that about 30% of the distance would be hike-a-bike. the rest should be rideable...unless it snows!

It was years ago but we ran into a bloke coming back from Spec road with his bike. He said it was mostly a hike a bike and regretting taking it. The road may be better now.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Sat 20 Aug, 2022 7:51 am

I walked it once early spring. So many trees down it wouldn't have been hike a bike so much as carry a bike.
Last edited by north-north-west on Sat 20 Aug, 2022 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Baeng72 » Sat 20 Aug, 2022 7:57 am

I'm not thinking of doing it, but if I tried with a mountain bike, it's seems odd to me why would I take it all the way with me if it was only of use for the first few km?
I'd chuck it behind some trees, record the GPS location and hike the rest.
Google seems to indicate it's a treed area and I doubt too many people would be around to go off track and discover it.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sat 20 Aug, 2022 8:48 am

The 4 WD track to Mt. Spec. is locked shut by a seasonal closure gate in winter.
The bend in the road before you descend to the hut is where the 2 WD should be left unless you know what you are doing and can get in and out. I would not chance it if I were you. Even the drive up from
Bennie's camp site is steep and rocky for 2 WD and best to go slow in low gear or
"L "
in an automatic transmission car.
It is quickest coming in from Glenrowan. The road from Mansfield to Whitfield is very slow , winding and tedious.
Take a chainsaw and chainsaw safety attire.
https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/lake- ... st-3770458
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Postby Baeng72 » Wed 24 Aug, 2022 9:27 am

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:The 4 WD track to Mt. Spec. is locked shut by a seasonal closure gate in winter.
The bend in the road before you descend to the hut is where the 2 WD should be left unless you know what you are doing and can get in and out. I would not chance it if I were you. Even the drive up from
Bennie's camp site is steep and rocky for 2 WD and best to go slow in low gear or
"L "
in an automatic transmission car.
It is quickest coming in from Glenrowan. The road from Mansfield to Whitfield is very slow , winding and tedious.
Take a chainsaw and chainsaw safety attire.
https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/lake- ... st-3770458

Thanks PCV!
Google says come in via Benalla, but that seems a long way to go, but your comment about the Mansfield to Whitfield leg explains why that's not the best way. Good info!
Does a bow-saw count?
I'd have to go to Bunnings and get a chainsaw.
Haven't used a chainsaw in decades.

I know this isn't technically XCut question, but it's adjacent.
How long would it take an average (an I mean very average to ordinary) bushwalker to head down Muesli Spur, and then up King Spur to Mt Koonika?
Is it a half-day, multi-day affair?
Looks to be some scrambling near top, but not Heli-spur level.
I've noticed it while looking at making the walk-in and walk-out to Mt Spec a bit more interesting.
My original thought was that you could approach Koonika from the North head up that way (off-track) then if you couldn't get up/too hard retreat back to Spec rd, and if you made it to or near summit proceed to Mt Spec via saddle between Koonika and Mt Spec. Is that feasible, or not something to try in winter even if feasible?
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Baeng72 » Wed 24 Aug, 2022 1:15 pm

Did a little investigating, height data from 10m DEM downloaded from ELVIS.

Approaching from the NNE, doesn't appear to be inviting death, gradient never over 60%, but without seeing terrain, no idea (could be trees, bear traps, xtian missionaries):
Koonika-Profile.JPG
Koonika from NNE

King Spur has a few doozies, but I'm not sure about the peaks in gradient early on, seems quite a jump in those place, so maybe data not reliable?:
KS-Profile.JPG
King Spur
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Wed 24 Aug, 2022 1:31 pm

I have not grovelled up King spur. I plan
to do it this November or December.
The walkers we met last Dec. on the top of Mt. Spec. who did it said it had some hairy and scary rock climbing and the track is not really there. It is just a route which The Timbertop students use. A Timbertop school trip leader told me one time that they only take the school students up King spur. Never down.
Rock scrambles in snow and rain should be avoided if possible.' Muesli spur has some crab crawling involved going up it. I have done that one . It is a good way up from the King Hut area to Mustering Flat/ Spec. road.
I would not be keen to go down it in wet , icy, muddy or snowy weather.
There is a chance of taking a bad tumble .
In snow season you should find some snow at Mt. No. 3 Refuge hut and the climb up the switchback from Tomahawk gap will get you puffing.
Snow low down below 1400 M. this season has mosty evaded the greater Mt. Stirling area and ski locations in general really this 2022 ski season.
Falls Creek has been good and I am getting my Telemark turns to develop!!
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Baeng72 » Wed 24 Aug, 2022 1:42 pm

It's been a while now, but when I went up Feathertop in early June, no sign of snow below 1200m, and not until about 1400m was it worth using snow shoes.
My aborted climb up 8-mile Spur in early July didn't get above 1100m, and so no snow.
Anyway, I like to work out future walks, or potentials walks, looks like King Spur will have to wait until green-season and after I've done SNS, other walks in the area.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Wed 24 Aug, 2022 2:49 pm

If you hve no AWD/ 4 WD car then taking a mtn. bike up to the Gorge Car park on the Howitt road in late November could work if you want to visit Mac. Springs coming up from Licola. Some ski forum people have done that in September with ski gear strapped to their bicycles!
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Baeng72 » Wed 24 Aug, 2022 3:01 pm

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:If you hve no AWD/ 4 WD car then taking a mtn. bike up to the Gorge Car park on the Howitt road in late November could work if you want to visit Mac. Springs coming up from Licola. Some ski forum people have done that in September with ski gear strapped to their bicycles!

And deprive myself the sublime joy of walking up from Upper Howqua camp? :wink:
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby GBW » Wed 24 Aug, 2022 5:03 pm

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:If you hve no AWD/ 4 WD car then taking a mtn. bike up to the Gorge Car park on the Howitt road in late November could work if you want to visit Mac. Springs coming up from Licola. Some ski forum people have done that in September with ski gear strapped to their bicycles!

Bikes are considered "vehicles" and therefore legally not permitted passed closed gates.
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe"
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Xplora » Wed 24 Aug, 2022 5:34 pm

GBW wrote:

Bikes are considered "vehicles" and therefore legally not permitted passed closed gates.

This is true to a degree but ... always a but. If the closed gate is a permanently close (as oppose to a seasonally closed) in National Park you can ride your bike on the track unless it is specifically mentioned you cannot.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby GBW » Wed 24 Aug, 2022 5:39 pm

Xplora wrote:
This is true to a degree but ... always a but. If the closed gate is a permanently close (as oppose to a seasonally closed) in National Park you can ride your bike on the track unless it is specifically mentioned you cannot.

Any seasonal road closure includes bikes, I've checked this out in the past.
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe"
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Baeng72 » Wed 24 Aug, 2022 7:29 pm

GBW wrote:
Xplora wrote:

You're both in furious agreement.
Anyway, I wasn't planning on doing a ride from Bryce Gorge.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Wed 24 Aug, 2022 8:29 pm

Byrce's gorge is long way past the Gorge Car park and the junction of the Howitt road and Kelly lane.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Baeng72 » Wed 24 Aug, 2022 8:47 pm

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:Byrce's gorge is long way past the Gorge Car park and the junction of the Howitt road and Kelly lane.

Fair enough, I looked for a gorge on Howitt road and Bryce's gorge inset carpark appeared.
I didn't pay much attention to where gorge was in relation to gorge carpark.
My bad.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Xplora » Thu 25 Aug, 2022 5:27 am

GBW wrote:
Xplora wrote:

That is what I am saying also just that permanently closed tracks do not have the same restriction. Just for information and not that it relates to riding on the Howitt plains. Sorry if I was not clear. Was not intending to disagree.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Thu 25 Aug, 2022 8:18 am

Ski touring Bryce's gorge would be very good on a clear day . I have walked it a couple of times.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Baeng72 » Sun 28 Aug, 2022 4:07 pm

So near, yet...
xc.jpg
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Mon 29 Aug, 2022 9:52 am

Where is that exactly? Did you take the photo?. The snow line at Mt. Stirling on Monday 22/8/22 had crept up to just below the Cricket pitch which is about 1550 M. ASL at least .

This ski season has not been much good for any terrain below 1600 M..NO base is holding lower down.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Baeng72 » Mon 29 Aug, 2022 10:29 am

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:Where is that exactly? Did you take the photo?. The snow line at Mt. Stirling on Monday 22/8/22 had crept up to just below the Cricket pitch which is about 1550 M. ASL at least .

This ski season has not been much good for any terrain below 1600 M..NO base is holding lower down.

Part way up Mt. Spec., looking at Howitt/X Cut.
I was a bit disappointed with how little snow was down low. I was hoping for a bit of snowshoe action on Spec. road, but nothing but a few specs beside road.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Mon 29 Aug, 2022 2:25 pm

This ski season has been really poor for snow settling low down. There would be some snow on Mt. Spec. and still some easy lines to ski. I am not 100 % certain It would have been worth the LONG the trip all the way out there if in these conditions I had my hopes up for Telemark skiing Mt. Spec.'s easy lines that lead down towards Camp Creek and The Spec. road.
Well done for getting out there. It would have been quite scenic, peaceful and soothing and not very busy at all.
Have you made a video about this trip?
Anyway now you know how to get out there and have another way to approach the Cross Cut saw without driving up the Howitt road in Daylight savings period.
It took me many goes to get over the Cross Cut saw and back in one trip. It was either far too windy, too hot, too foggy etc. etc. .
Mr. Happy named the Horrible Gap just right I must say !
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 30 Aug, 2022 1:00 pm

I saw the video BAENG put on You Tube of his walk to Mt. Spec. from Lake Cobbler. It is a shame he did not visit Mt. Cobbler while he was in the area.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

PreviousNext

Return to Victoria