McMillan Track and food drops.

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

McMillan Track and food drops.

Postby Mr Bean » Tue 01 Feb, 2022 10:11 am

Hi,
In April my partner and I are planning to walk the McMillan track from Omeo to Woods Point.

Just pondering a number of things:
- We plan to do a food drop in the Eaglevale area and wondered if the road in from Dargo (appears to be the Wonnangatta Rd) is suitable for 2WD (I have a VW Tiguan)?
- The other option we considered in that area for a food drop was Talbotville but we would then be climbing Cynthia Range with full packs.
- Is there any accommodation in Woods Point? We visited the place recently and found very little.
TIA.
Nick
Mr Bean
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Re: McMillan Track and food drops.

Postby bernieq » Tue 01 Feb, 2022 2:08 pm

Most (if not all) questions on McMillan's Tk are answered by the book - www.john.chapman.name/pub.html

We are responsible for the health of the planet - not it for ours
bernieq
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby LLSC » Tue 01 Feb, 2022 3:37 pm

Hi Mr Bean.
I presume you have your reasons for a food drop at Eaglevale but it looks like there could well be plenty of car-based campers there. It looks like it might be tricky to get to: I'm sorry: I haven't driven the road there. When I walked it, 'Volkswagon' was the logical place for us, as it was our only camp that was not on a river, so we needed to put in a water dump there anyway. It is more isolated (less likely to be disturbed by other visitors) and is the halfway point, more or less.
I stayed at the hotel in Woods Point, which used to be known as the Commercial Hotel, but perhaps now is the Woods Point Hotel: is it closed, now? Bummer. I didn't see anywhere else nearby: looks like Jamieson is the nearest. Sorry not to be able to help more: your notes on Helicopter Spur were very helpful and I would have liked to have returned the favour.
LLSC
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Mr Bean » Tue 01 Feb, 2022 3:57 pm

LLSC wrote:Hi Mr Bean.
I presume you have your reasons for a food drop at Eaglevale but it looks like there could well be plenty of car-based campers there. It looks like it might be tricky to get to: I'm sorry: I haven't driven the road there. When I walked it, 'Volkswagon' was the logical place for us, as it was our only camp that was not on a river, so we needed to put in a water dump there anyway. It is more isolated (less likely to be disturbed by other visitors) and is the halfway point, more or less.
I stayed at the hotel in Woods Point, which used to be known as the Commercial Hotel, but perhaps now is the Woods Point Hotel: is it closed, now? Bummer. I didn't see anywhere else nearby: looks like Jamieson is the nearest. Sorry not to be able to help more: your notes on Helicopter Spur were very helpful and I would have liked to have returned the favour.

Thanks LLSC. The increased number of people in that area did concern me from a food drop aspect. But we were willing to place it probably 1km in the Talbotville direction. Our reasoning for Eaglevale was its about 5 days into the walk for us and carrying 6 days of food (we carry an extra day) would have been perfect. By my estimate, Volkswagon is about 7 days travel for us. We have plans to meet friends at that point (they will drive in).

We did visit Woods Point last weekend and found it to be virtually empty. While the pub appeared to be open (we had heard it was closed), it remained a bit of a mystery. We did ponder the idea of leaving our car at the police station, assuming that's ok and a safe location. Plan C is to start in Woods Point and walk towards Omeo. At least Omeo has a bit more life in the town.

I've checked the Ben Cruachan Walking Club website for any details, and while the book from John Chapman is excellent, I'm trying to find info that's outside the scope of the book.
Mr Bean
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby GregRobinson » Wed 02 Feb, 2022 1:27 pm

Hi Mr Bean,
I have some recent (Nov21) beta on the route and access, can you contact me privately to share?
Greg
GregRobinson
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Wed 02 Feb, 2022 6:10 pm

Mt. Arbuckle to Kelly hut track was cleared as was the Mt. Tamboritha to Breakfast creek section of the Mc Millan's walking track also cleared as of late Jan. 2022.Also the Crinolene walking track was cleared at least half way up the hill from the Valley floor.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Postby Anotherjonesy » Fri 11 Feb, 2022 5:26 am

I was meant to do it in November, but rivers were to high. I spoke to the pub at woods point, they had accommodation at that point , unless things have changed recently?
Anotherjonesy
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Thu 24 Mar, 2022 9:16 pm

I was in Talbotville recently. It gets super busy on weekends with 4 WD car campers who do not walk anywhere further than the pit loo .Even still, a supply dump at Talbotville has the chance of being discovered and tampered with / pilfered. You can get an AWD with All terrain tyres into Talbotville.
Street tyres and/ or a 2 WD would be very iffy it rains.
The new MMWT guide book is very good. I have a copy :-) .
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Return to Victoria