Victoria visit - GOW and?

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Victoria visit - GOW and?

Postby Frankie » Sun 20 Feb, 2022 11:32 am

Hi there,

I've got it into my head that I'd like to walk the Great Ocean Walk. I'm from Queensland. Relatively new to bushwalking in the big scheme of things, but have done a number of walks including overnighters, the longest being 3 nights. In my research I feel that my fitness level would not be a problem for the GOW although multi days are always a challenge.

I'm thinking September but would appreciate thoughts. As I have a habit of turning the smallest idea into the biggest adventure yet, I've also thought perhaps I could add on another 3 or 4 days to the trip and check out another region or NP whilst I'm in Vic. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

For the GOW I will rely on public transport but would consider hiring a car for the rest if I had to. I don't necessarily need to overnight hike for the rest either, I am quite happy to drive in and camp, then walk. Thanks.
Frankie
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Re: Victoria visit - GOW and?

Postby scroggin » Sun 20 Feb, 2022 8:48 pm

Spring tends to be quite wet south of the divide, I suspect even more so for the Otways, but I wouldn't let that stop you.

The Grampians are only 2 hours north of the 12 Apostles (GOW finish) and have great day hikes and a few over nighters on the GPT but you pay around $50 a night and a shuttle will be needed. You could do the Bugiga and Barri Yalug 3-day Hike and walk back to Halls Gap eliminating the need for a shuttle.
https://www.parks.vic.gov.au/places-to- ... 3-day-hike

I wouldn't recommend the alpine areas at that time of year for someone starting out and you will probably be oceaned out for Discovery Bay.

So the Grampians is my suggestion if you have a hire car.

When I did the GOW I was able to get a shuttle service from the 12 Apostles to Apollo bay for the walk start as the public transport is irregular.
scroggin
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby peregrinator » Sun 20 Feb, 2022 9:27 pm

I'd describe the public transport options for the GOW as regular, but infrequent. In other words, it is useful if you can work within those parameters.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Eremophila » Mon 21 Feb, 2022 12:37 pm

Grampians is a good option, although I'd probably avoid school holidays.

You could also look at some of the Great Dividing Trail / Goldfields Track. Not really "bushwalking" but passes through some lovely country and that would be a good time of year for it. Access to towns and some public transport.

I could possibly assist with a transfer although I do work full time. These guys provide shuttle service along the GOW: http://www.greatoceanroadshuttle.com.au
Eremophila
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Frankie » Mon 21 Feb, 2022 6:52 pm

Thanks for the info and suggestions everyone.

Scroggin/Eremophila - the Grampians or the Goldfield Track suggestions sound great and I'll look into them. I agree that the Alpine regions are out of my league for the moment and I'm OK with that.

Peregrinator - thank you. In my very late night research I thought perhaps the 'easiest way' would be train to Geelong, bus to Apollo Bay but I will make it work within the constraints.

I'd probably get a hire car from Warrnambool after the GOW unless I calm down and decide to just stick with the GOW which would be just amazing as is. I have a tendency to try and fit in as much as possible whilst I'm in an area. Doesn't mean I need to though!

Thanks again!
Frankie
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Postby Eremophila » Mon 21 Feb, 2022 8:32 pm

If you’re doing some Grampians stuff, I believe there’s a bloke in Halls Gap doing transfers and food drops.

V Line bus from Geelong to Apollo Bay is fine and a sensible option. From Melbourne airport take Skybus to Southern Cross Station. Train to Geelong and then bus…. But check the timetables on VLine’s website, I think the bus is only once or twice a day.

Yell out if you need assistance with other logistics planning. Exciting planning!
Eremophila

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sat 26 Feb, 2022 5:27 pm

September can be good at Wilson's Prom. N.P..
I have walked there in September in the past. The wild flowers and lack of crowds make for a good experience as long as it does not rain the whole time.
There used to be a bus that went from the Fish Creek V/line regional bus stop to Tidal River at the Prom. but I think it was a summer
only service and that too has closed for good.
You could get a bus from Wangaratta regional V/Line train station to Harrietville. The walk up the Bungalow spur track to Mt. Feathertop would have snow on
it in places but mainly on the Eastern and Southerly facing slopes. Snow shoes could be useful. With an early start you could do it as a day walk .Camping options
could include the flat area near the start of the East Ovens Track
which is not far from the start of the Bungalow spur walking track.
The Grampians are very good in spring for walking , not too hot and water is easier to find. You can take a v/line
train to Ballarat and a bus to Halls Gap in the Grampians.
I have stayed at the YHA hostel in Halls Gap a number of times done all the day walks near there .
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Postby ChrisJHC » Sun 27 Feb, 2022 6:17 pm

If you have plenty of time, after you finish the GOW, continue on to Portland.

Resupply and send a food package to Nelson then do the Great South West Walk.

https://greatsouthwestwalk.com
ChrisJHC

Return to Victoria