Buller huts track in May

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Buller huts track in May

Postby hugomarmara » Sat 16 Apr, 2022 9:15 am

Hey everyone

Me and a friend were planning to take on the Buller Huts track before June and are concerned about the conditions of the track at this time of year.

Would it be recommended given the weather and has anyone here done it in May? We were hoping to do the end of May given work commitments and notice of leave.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!
hugomarmara
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Buller huts track in May

Postby Baeng72 » Sat 16 Apr, 2022 6:31 pm

I think a lot of the experts will be out taking advantage of this loverly Easter weather, so it might be a few days before a good set of responses.
Expect it to be cold. BOM climate average: http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averages/ ... 3024.shtml
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sat 16 Apr, 2022 7:16 pm

I hiked up to the Bluff summit with a full overnight pack on my back from 8 Mile flat some years ago in May. It was a slog and also good that it was not hot. You need to start each day of walking early because the days are very short in May. The chance of snow , cold and wet days and white outs increases in May.
I just came back from hiking in the BHP/ Mt. Bogong area. The nights were C O L D ( full duck down snow camping sleeping bag zipped up like an Egyptian Mummy )and the wind at elevations above 1600 M. was very cold if the sun was not shining . This situation will become more pronounced as we reach the last month of Autumn.
I walked across the Cross Cut saw and back to Mac. springs in Dec. 2021. The Horrible Gap is becoming overgrown with many fallen logs and waist high scrub.
The lower temperatures and lack of buzzing insects could be a positive but the chance to sit around a camp fire may not be enough to keep warm at dusk. Take a book to read and extra torch batteries and thick thermals . Early nights in bed will become the best way to keep warm after you have finished your evening meal.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Postby Hiking Exped » Sun 08 May, 2022 11:39 am

I must have been up on BHP the week after you and yes wet, windy and cold, in fact we were pleased to have a hut to cook in one night :D

Up on Mt Spec, Buggery, Howitt, etc last week and just down in time before the snow. The early nights are definitely book reading or further map adventure planning periods. I’m normally drinking coffee and breakfast by about 5am :D

I might head up Stirling or Buller way this week in the snow :lol:

The good news for anyone heading up that way is water issues have improved with wetter weather.
Hiking Exped
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Victoria