Brisbane ranges 2 day walk

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Brisbane ranges 2 day walk

Postby EGM » Thu 19 May, 2022 11:58 am

Hi guys,I'm planning an overnight walk in the Brisbane ranges. At the moment just an out and back to one of the Birchell trail campsites.

Is there a particular campsite which is nice or is there a better option for a 2 day walk?

I want to go there because it's very close for me and I've never been there before.

Thanks.
EGM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Brisbane ranges 2 day walk

Postby Baeng72 » Thu 19 May, 2022 12:34 pm

The Burchell trail was going to be the first hike I did a few years ago. Went to check out the start at Steiglitz and couldn't find it!
I ended up going to Warburton and doing the walk-into-history. Sorry, not much help.
The only info about camps I can remember reading is a bit dated: http://hikingfiasco.com/2017/09/15/burc ... -victoria/
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lamont » Thu 19 May, 2022 1:27 pm

The second one going away from Steiglitz. Nicest spot of the two and bit of a gorge. Can't think what it's called. Car park literally adjacent though.
Run through there a few times though and not seen a sausage on most occasions. Mid week or shiity weather should be alone I'd reckon.
The first site is under a road/carpark-requires a 100m walk-in or so, open area, grassy.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby indented » Thu 19 May, 2022 2:06 pm

The Old Mill site is much nicer than Little River, as even though they're both hiker only Little River is next to the road so there's often cars there. Old Mill is only about 500m as the crow flies to Friday's campsite though, so can sometimes hear things happening over there if a particularly loud group is in. Depending on fitness you can do the whole thing in two days, but one of them is a long day. I've done Boar Gully - Old Mill on day 1 (~23km) and then old Mill-Fridays Day two (12km) with a car shuffle.

Apparently the trail used to continue past Fridays into Steiglitz but that's no longer the case.
indented
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby EGM » Thu 19 May, 2022 3:15 pm

Thanks everyone.

I'll have to look at a map to see if you agree on which site is better.

Thanks for the link Baeng, I didn't see that one so I'll give it a read.

I reckon we could polish the whole thing off in 2 days but a car shuffle isn't an option this time.
EGM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Eremophila » Thu 19 May, 2022 6:26 pm

I’ve done the northern end, leaving my car at Boar Gully and just going to Little River and back. I was alone at Boar Gully the first night, having arrived late afternoon. Close to midnight I could hear a carload of hoons going along the road, drunk and screaming. I was quietly panicking! By some stroke of luck they didn’t come into the campground.

Little River was pleasant but as others have said, literally on a road. No traffic there until the following morning when I had company for breakfast.

The trail itself was mostly on management tracks and a good chunk of it on road. There’s a rather pointless diversion which takes you away from the road and back. It wasn’t awfully exciting.
Eremophila
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby CraigVIC » Thu 19 May, 2022 8:10 pm

You can do a late start, early finish walk by starting from The Crossing. Walk to Old Mill and stay the night then short cut to Friday's and follow the Birchall back to the Crossing.
CraigVIC

Return to Victoria