Snow camping and hiking

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: Snow camping and hiking

Postby Xplora » Fri 01 Jul, 2022 1:02 pm

paidal_chalne_vala wrote: If you do that then take extra stove fuel to melt snow because the water sources near Fitzgerald hut are not obviously immediately near the hut.

There is a creek just west of the hut that flows during wet times and winter. It may have a bit of snow over it but you can still see where it is and dig through to the water. Just walk west through the trees near the hut and down the hill a little.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Fri 01 Jul, 2022 4:18 pm

I know the spot but the OP may not know where that water source is.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Postby Lophophaps » Fri 01 Jul, 2022 6:25 pm

From Bogong Jack the track is obvious at first, then it's a bit scrubby in places on the north side of Fainter North. From there the track is easily followed to near Little Plain, after which it becomes muddy and overgrown now and again. There are also a few wet sections and creek crossings. In winter it will be hard to follow for much of the way from the Fainter North bushline to Tawonga Huts. After Tawonga Huts it's exposed, no shelter for some hours.

Is parking allowed on or just off the High Plains Road near the Bogong Village junction, and if so, where?
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Xplora » Fri 01 Jul, 2022 7:14 pm

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:I know the spot but the OP may not know where that water source is.

But up didn't help with directions. It is easy to find and close to the hut.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Xplora » Fri 01 Jul, 2022 7:17 pm

Lophophaps wrote:Is parking allowed on or just off the High Plains Road near the Bogong Village junction, and if so, where?

The carpark for Fainter Falls is just past the Bogong Village turnoff. Pretty big. This is where the white lines turn to yellow just after the bridge.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Fri 01 Jul, 2022 9:18 pm

If a base camp is established at Bogong Jack Saddle then in the case of ski touring in okay visibility one could follow one's own ski tracks back to Bogong Jack saddle if a day trip to The Fainters was the plan. The same could be said about snow shoe tracks.
Parking on/near the BHP/ Falls creek road can be done at : Fainter Falls; Bogong Village tennis courts; Clover Arboretum;Big Hill Road lookout/ car park and at Howman's Gap( in the village , not near the ski resort toll booth).
I am sure some people do a sneaky car park at Road 24 near Howman's gap but that is not something I can recommend doing since it is for AGL and Falls Creek staff access and parking only.
The route up to Mt. Mckay via Road 24 is an option for an adventure. It permits a white season entry fee free access point to the Falls Creek summit area, The Cattle Grid turn off for Pretty Valley hut and more.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Baeng72 » Sat 09 Jul, 2022 5:33 pm

8-mile spur is quite steep.
Especially the bit between 800m and 1000m.
I got to the nice bit after 1000m feeling OK, shortly after cactus.
Pushed on for a while, then realized I wasn't getting up the to the Bluff today nor doing a bit of snow camping, so turned back.
Headed down and was very close chundering by time I got to Howqua High track. :)
Usually I feel better walking downhill, than up. Weird.
Anyway, you win some, you lose some.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sun 10 Jul, 2022 4:15 pm

Eight mile spur is quite steep but by the time you reach Refrigerator Gap you should be well on your way and then the fun begins going up the almost vertical route to The Bluff.
I should do that route again, It is type 2 fun and in good weather in green season it makes a good overnight loop if you carry onto camp near The Bluff Hut and then on day two return to 8 Mile Flat via 16 Mile Jeep road.
Give that a go and see how you get on!
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Previous

Return to Victoria