Feathertop and school holidays

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Feathertop and school holidays

Postby Dexter » Thu 22 Sep, 2022 8:27 pm

Heya all,

Just wondering how busy it gets around Federation hut during the Dec - Jan school holidays. Me and some hiking buddies were trying to work out dates that were either side of the holidays but it’s proving difficult! Will it be overrun with kids!? :D

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Feathertop and school holidays

Postby Baeng72 » Fri 23 Sep, 2022 7:36 am

Dexter wrote:Heya all,

Just wondering how busy it gets around Federation hut during the Dec - Jan school holidays. Me and some hiking buddies were trying to work out dates that were either side of the holidays but it’s proving difficult! Will it be overrun with kids!? :D

Cheers.

I'd say there will be people.
There will be family groups bringing the demon spawn across the Razorback. But there will just be all sorts, I imagine.
I've been there early December, on Cup day weekend, and in March Labor day time and the Fed. Hut area was packed. so get there early.
But you can camp at the Razorback intersection, Molly's Hill and if a looking for a bit more quiet on the Diamantina Spur there's a campsite before it starts dropping down. Also old Bungalow Hut area has a campsite which is about a km walk down Bungalow Spur from Fed Hut.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Dexter » Fri 23 Sep, 2022 8:33 am

Baeng72 wrote:
Dexter wrote:Heya all,

Cheers.

I'd say there will be people.
There will be family groups bringing the demon spawn across the Razorback. But there will just be all sorts, I imagine.
I've been there early December, on Cup day weekend, and in March Labor day time and the Fed. Hut area was packed. so get there early.
But you can camp at the Razorback intersection, Molly's Hill and if a looking for a bit more quiet on the Diamantina Spur there's a campsite before it starts dropping down. Also old Bungalow Hut area has a campsite which is about a km walk down Bungalow Spur from Fed Hut.

Awesome. Thanks for the info on alternative camps. I was thinking of walking down to Harrietville anyway rather than an out and back, so the camp down bungalow spur might be a good option if we can’t all get time off work outside of the holidays. Cheers.

Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sat 24 Sep, 2022 9:14 am

Camping at the MUMC hut is good too. I hear that the NW spur track has been cleared somewhat . It is very steep.
I can recommend camping at Stoney tops camp site just off from where the
winter gate is situated. BYO water .That takes you out onto the Northern Razorback which is the most scenic , exposed and least used route to the Mt. FT summit.
You will need an 4 x4 or AWD car and a chainsaw. The Snowy Creek Road starts near the Old German Town bridge.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Postby Dexter » Mon 26 Sep, 2022 5:02 pm

That sounds a little too hectic for my Subaru BRZ

I got stuck in some wet grass once lol

Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sat 01 Oct, 2022 8:02 pm

You can park at the Bottom of the snowy creek road near the junction with Dungey's track before the ford of the creek and hike up to the Stoney Tops camp site, just before the winter gate on the Northern Razorback. BYO water. It is a beautiful and far less visited way to reach Mt. FT. If the weather is stable and not windy then the old Helipad on the Stoney Tops track end is an exposed dry camp site with grand views.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Return to Victoria