McMillans Track late Dec

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

McMillans Track late Dec

Postby chekkers » Tue 22 Nov, 2022 6:58 pm

I'm planning to walk the McMillans Track after Christmas. For logistical reasons I'm not going end to end, I'm going out from Cobungra/Victoria River Track to Breakfast Creek, then back again.

With all the wet weather lately will it be doable? The section I'm most concerned about is along Crooked River from Twentyfive Mile Creek to Bulltown, and the bit form Bulltown to Talbotville which crosses Crooked River 23 times.

chekkers
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: McMillans Track late Dec

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Thu 24 Nov, 2022 1:40 pm

Can't comment on Crooked River, but (a bit off topic) has anyone linked Mcmillans with the Dargo High Plains Rd and AAWT to create a circuit, with the two "joins" being at the DHP and Mt Skene ends? I reckon that'd be brilliant (if only I had time).
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Thu 15 Dec, 2022 6:22 pm

Get in contact with Joe Van Beek from Bushwalking Victoria / BTAC. McMillan's track is his pet project and he helped write the guidebook. He knows that area really well.We did a McMillan's track clearing working bee in the Talbotville area in March 2022.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Postby Joe J » Mon 19 Dec, 2022 5:37 am

I recently hiked the full track from East to West in late Nov early Dec. Somehow, managed to find a 12 day dry period. However, the rivers were definitely high. Crossing the Dargo River at the end of day 1 was not possible. I ended up setting up camp on the east side then did some scrambling up and down the river to eventually find a series of logs that I could use to cross. The first log was skinny and wet. In the morning, with pack on, shimmied across the log on my butt. This crossing is downstream from the normal crossing point, passed the other 4wd crossing near a bend in the river. It then does leave you with a frustrating hike through the bush up and down a steep hill to rejoin the track on the other side.

The Crooked River crossings were actually ok. A little high on the first 2 but likely to be ok by now.

The next river crossing that was not possible was the Wongungarra River. I had to head back almost to the Talbotville campsite, hike further along the Crooked River track, crossing it a couple of more times, then crossing the Wongungarra river at Racecourse Track and following that back to the start of Station Track; a 10km detour.

Moroka River, it depends on your path along here. I mostly stayed on the east side to avoid crossing. Could not really hike much along the bank due to the river being up. This was a very frustrating section... The other river crossings were all ok. All the rivers and creeks were flowing and required walking through them making for wet shoes on 10 of the 12 days.

Good luck.
Joe J
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Xplora » Mon 19 Dec, 2022 7:02 am

Joe J wrote:I recently hiked the full track from East to West in late Nov early Dec. Somehow, managed to find a 12 day dry period. However, the rivers were definitely high. Crossing the Dargo River at the end of day 1 was not possible. I ended up setting up camp on the east side then did some scrambling up and down the river to eventually find a series of logs that I could use to cross. The first log was skinny and wet. In the morning, with pack on, shimmied across the log on my butt. This crossing is downstream from the normal crossing point, passed the other 4wd crossing near a bend in the river. It then does leave you with a frustrating hike through the bush up and down a steep hill to rejoin the track on the other side.

The Crooked River crossings were actually ok. A little high on the first 2 but likely to be ok by now.

The next river crossing that was not possible was the Wongungarra River. I had to head back almost to the Talbotville campsite, hike further along the Crooked River track, crossing it a couple of more times, then crossing the Wongungarra river at Racecourse Track and following that back to the start of Station Track; a 10km detour.

Moroka River, it depends on your path along here. I mostly stayed on the east side to avoid crossing. Could not really hike much along the bank due to the river being up. This was a very frustrating section... The other river crossings were all ok. All the rivers and creeks were flowing and required walking through them making for wet shoes on 10 of the 12 days.

Good luck.

Excellent post Joe for your first one. Welcome to the forum.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Victoria