Beehive falls mt difficult?

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Beehive falls mt difficult?

Postby mtrain » Tue 23 May, 2023 6:57 am

Can anyone tell me whether it is still possible to walk the loop from beehive falls up to Briggs bluff and then around longpoint east and west then return along the top of mt difficult to beehive falls?
Parks were messing with tracks for the peaks trail last time I was up there and the website and info centre are completely useless.
Also what was the story regarding bookings ,permits.
mtrain
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Re: Beehive falls mt difficult?

Postby CraigVIC » Tue 23 May, 2023 7:53 am

Yes, you can still do this. East and west are open and do not require booking.
There is a new toilet and tank at longpoint west. The track has been realigned in places (from the top of Beehive and near the descent to longpoint east. The old route is still there of course, still marked but becoming overgrown in places.
CraigVIC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby CraigVIC » Tue 23 May, 2023 9:31 am

The best bet is to get a copy of the Northern GPT map as it has all the latest track alignments.

As an alternative to starting from Beehive you could also start from the Gar trailhead and follow Dead Bullocks ck up past three increasingly impressive (but ephemeral) waterfalls.
Attachments
Screenshot_20230523_092305_Word.jpg
CraigVIC

Postby ggorgeman » Tue 23 May, 2023 2:33 pm

My trip report from a couple of years back might help. We did exactly what you're contemplating although passed through LPE and camped at LWP.
https://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=32120
ggorgeman
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby mtrain » Tue 23 May, 2023 8:36 pm

Thanks for all the replies. I have done this loop a few times but the last was when parks were doing all the realignments for the gpt.
Thanks for the alternative route suggestion CraigVic, I’ll make the suggestion to the guys I’m going to walk with.
mtrain
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby GerryDuke » Fri 26 May, 2023 12:07 am

Behive Falls a couple of days ago.

PSX_20230526_000424.jpg
BEEHIVE FALLS
GerryDuke
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Operator of www.TouringTasmania.info web site
Region: Tasmania

Postby mtrain » Sat 27 May, 2023 12:11 pm

Nice! The decision has boiled down to the mt difficult loop or the dials, major mitchel plateau traverse.
mtrain
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Pink Cap » Sun 22 Oct, 2023 5:25 pm

I’m looking at doing this as a day walk but I would like to camp at Troopers before heading out. Anyone know if the campsite is open? Am I correct in thinking that Briggs Bluff and Gar are out and backs, and that actually this is an out and back walk with a loop in the south? I have become confused knowing which route notes are current and which are out of date.
Pink Cap
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Australia

Postby ggorgeman » Sun 22 Oct, 2023 6:59 pm

"New" Troopers Creek campsite is the trail head for Grampians Peaks trail, definitely open and bookable via Parks Vic. Trailhead carpark just separate from the camp by 100m or so. Briggs and Gar quite easily manageable in one day, depending upon individual fitness etc. Troopers to Gar (incorporating the Briggs offshoot) is GPT so this time of year there's quite a bit of foot traffic. As always, have relaible navigation as the markers aren't always visible. The new GPT Guidebook is a good investment too.
ggorgeman
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Pink Cap » Tue 24 Oct, 2023 7:32 pm

Thanks very much. I ended up starting from Troopers campsite mid afternoon and doing Briggs Bluff and Mt Difficult before dark, then camping at Gar before descending in the morning and driving to the Beehive Falls track head for the short walk to the falls. I was rather amazed at the amount of infrastructure at Gar. It was a great walk over two half days, unfortunately I was constrained by the time I had available.
Pink Cap
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Australia

Postby ggorgeman » Wed 25 Oct, 2023 8:43 am

Pink Cap wrote:Thanks very much. I ended up starting from Troopers campsite mid afternoon and doing Briggs Bluff and Mt Difficult before dark, then camping at Gar before descending in the morning and driving to the Beehive Falls track head for the short walk to the falls. I was rather amazed at the amount of infrastructure at Gar. It was a great walk over two half days, unfortunately I was constrained by the time I had available.

Thanks for the report, glad to hear it went well. It's always spectacular up there at this time of year with wildflowers in abundance.
ggorgeman
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Victoria