Sheepyard Flat to Bindaree Falls

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Sheepyard Flat to Bindaree Falls

Postby Shot_hot17 » Tue 02 Jan, 2024 3:59 pm

Hi all,

I havent been up that way in a long time - is it possible to get to Bindaree Falls from Sheepyard in 2wd or AWD? Via Brocks road?, and then back out via Bindaree road to Mirimbah?

TIA :)
Shot_hot17
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Sheepyard Flat to Bindaree Falls

Postby Baeng72 » Wed 03 Jan, 2024 12:59 pm

Hi, I only know parts of that route.
I've done Telephone Box Junction-Circuit Road-Bindaree Road - Upper Howqua campground in 2WD many times. It's has OK clearance which is all you need.
I've driven past Sheepyard Flats to 8-Mile Flat a few times in the same vehicle, even in slightly slick conditions.
I've walked from Refrigerator Gap back to Brock's, then down Brocks to 8-Mile Flat last winter and wouldn't see driving a 2WD up an issue as long the road was dry as it's a bit steep and tightly curved.
But from Fridge gap to Bluff-Hut than down Bluff-Link track to Bindaree Hut (which is a km from Upper Howqua) I can't help.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Shot_hot17 » Wed 03 Jan, 2024 1:19 pm

Thanks, yeah im thinking it should be fine up until around Bluff Track, but from there down to Upper Howqua camp im not sure and have never done that section.
Shot_hot17
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Wed 03 Jan, 2024 4:05 pm

From the Bluff hut to the Upper Howqua river via 16 mile Jeep road is easy walking on fire/ jeep trails.Once at the bottom you choose whether you go to Bindaree hut or Ritchie's hut , both are situated on the Howqua River.
You cannot get a 2 WD up to the Bluff Hut from the winter gate. The sign says 4 WD only. It is marginal in an AWD soft roader . It is at the limit of what I can safely do in a RAV 4 .
I saw a 2 WD BMW street sedan
up past Refrigerator Gap in April 2023. It looked quite out of place.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Postby Xplora » Thu 04 Jan, 2024 6:12 am

Shot_hot17 wrote:Hi all,

I havent been up that way in a long time - is it possible to get to Bindaree Falls from Sheepyard in 2wd or AWD? Via Brocks road?, and then back out via Bindaree road to Mirimbah?

TIA :)

There are a number of issues more around clearance than 4wd. You would probably have some issues crossing the Howqua at Binderee hut. I know someone who did this trip in an EA Falcon but he has plenty of experience.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Shot_hot17 » Thu 04 Jan, 2024 3:10 pm

Thanks :) yes i wasnt sure if there was a dry crossing somewhere around there. Out of interest is the river crossing easier off bluff link road than than the crossing at Bindaree hut? I know the road down there is easier but the river crossing itself?
Shot_hot17
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Victoria