Falls to Hotham

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Falls to Hotham

Postby Daegydaeg1 » Sat 17 Feb, 2024 9:25 am

Hi all!

Quick question about the Falls to Hotham crossing - I'm not overly keen to book the platforms provided for by Parks Vic (much rather find a nice camp spot) - am I allowed to camp along the way if it's away from the platforms? I rang up Parks and the person I spoke to wasn't very helpful and said it's recommended that you book the platforms and not camp away from them. Any advice on potential camp-spots would be appreciated!

Cheers
Daegydaeg1
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Falls to Hotham

Postby Lophophaps » Sat 17 Feb, 2024 11:19 am

Dispersed camping is allowed in most places. Camping is not allowed within certain distances of the High Plains Road or the platforms, 1-200 metres from memory. Cope Hut has fair campsites behind the platforms, south to south-west from memory, clearly visible in a grove of trees. The sites are flat but they are a little exposed in a westerly. The next sheltered campsite is at Ryders Huts. This is not an official FHAC campsite, but it may be useful to know about. Another good spot is Youngs Hut, off the main pole line and 90 minutes from Dibbins.

There are good campsites at Dibbins near the hut, which is unfortunately a tad distant from the toilet. Derrick Hut has the last sheltered campsites, but it can get a bit windy.

PV have somewhat misleading advice that platforms must be booked, giving the impression that it's mandatory to use the platforms. It's not.

If you can take an extra day or two there are quite a few good side-trips that can be done such as Mount Cope and Jaithmatang. If you are feeling strong enough you could stop at Blairs Hut, go up Diamantina Spur the next day, then down Bungalow Spur. The bottom of Diamantina Spur is very steep and exhausting, with a solid morning to get from Blairs to The Razorback.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Baeng72 » Sat 17 Feb, 2024 12:47 pm

There was good camp sites near the bridge at Dibbons, not far from the toilet last time I was there (about 2 years ago). Not that far from the platforms. The hut is a bit of a walk further.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Xplora » Sun 18 Feb, 2024 6:39 am

Lops is right. You are not supposed to camp within 100m of the platforms. Plenty of opportunity outside that. Dispersed camping is allowed in most of the area without a booking or fee. The platforms at Dibbins are in a terrible spot and you will find a few good spots near the hut. There are better places to pitch a tent at Cope Hut also that are 100m away from the platforms. You are not supposed to camp at Derrick hut because it is within the resort boundary but nobody will check.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Victoria