Wilson's prom Current drink water situation for the south

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Wilson's prom Current drink water situation for the south

Postby Antforknee » Mon 18 Mar, 2024 8:25 pm

Hi everyone.
Has anyone walked the southern circuit at the Prom recently? Would you be able to tell me what the situation is with drinking water at various campsites. I remember there being a few tanks and a few steams but it been pretty dry lately and I am keen to ensure we are prepared. Thanks.
Ps. I will call the rangers but I am keen to hear from anyone with recent first hand experience.
Antforknee
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Wilson's prom Current drink water situation for the sout

Postby Greed » Tue 19 Mar, 2024 12:50 pm

I was there on the weekend. There is no/low tank water, only water from the streams/creeks. So you will need to carry water if you're staying at Oberon bay, or Halfway hut. However, there is water at little waterloo, refuge cove and sealers cove that's piped from upstream (which you may want to treat/filter).
Greed
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Biggles » Tue 19 Mar, 2024 1:23 pm

Greed wrote:I was there on the weekend. There is no/low tank water, only water from the streams/creeks. So you will need to carry water if you're staying at Oberon bay, or Halfway hut. However, there is water at little waterloo, refuge cove and sealers cove that's piped from upstream (which you may want to treat/filter).

After my unpleasant experience with a bout of gastro at Lt. Waterloo Bay in 2010, I would strongly recommend carrying as much of your own water as you can, refilling at known tank points. The sickness onset was early the next morning after setting up camp at LWB the early afternoon prior. A struggle to pack everything and haul out just to get to the next stop, which was Refuge Cove, and more of the nasty stuff — on and on!
All I had was Puritabs and Keflex for an unrelated ailment (post-surgical prophylaxis) and a couple of these in a small glass might just have done the trick in flushing the system out, for on arrival back at Telegraph Saddle (from Sealers Cove), I was much better though weaker, and none too pleased to be repeatedly hammered by rain and electrical storms the night before (= no sleep!) and then all the way back up to the Saddle!

Nothing has been heard of to date if Sealers Cove has reopened to walkers from either direction after the extensive (and expensive!) swamp boardwalk replacement.
“Is é comhrá faoin aimsir an tearmann deiridh ag an duine gan samhlaíocht.”
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Antforknee » Tue 19 Mar, 2024 2:38 pm

Thanks biggles. Much appreciated Yep we are packing in purtabs.
Antforknee
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Antforknee » Tue 19 Mar, 2024 2:39 pm

Greed wrote:I was there on the weekend. There is no/low tank water, only water from the streams/creeks. So you will need to carry water if you're staying at Oberon bay, or Halfway hut. However, there is water at little waterloo, refuge cove and sealers cove that's piped from upstream (which you may want to treat/filter).
Antforknee
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Joris » Wed 20 Mar, 2024 5:02 pm

Biggles wrote:
Greed wrote:Nothing has been heard of to date if Sealers Cove has reopened to walkers from either direction after the extensive (and expensive!) swamp boardwalk replacement.

Has it been replaced yet? The PV website only refers to continued closure and funding for replacement having been secured.
Joris
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Thu 21 Mar, 2024 6:29 pm

No.The Sealers
Cove Board walk is still shut/cactus/Kaput/ Out of service. The Vic. State Gummint are broke
and they do not care about our National parks in VIC.
very much even if they had plenty of money ..... IMHO..
So the full loop of the Southern Prom is not possible. The Northern Loop should be open and is always challenging!
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 16 Apr, 2024 8:45 am

I walked the Tidal River to Oberon Bay coastal track on April 13th 2024. The track is very good with a ladder & walk way taking walkers down to Little Oberon bay beach
but the water tank at Oberon bay is empty. Just a trickle came out of the tap at the Oberon Bay Toilet block and the tank echoed when tapped with a hiking pole.
PV signange advises walkers and Oberon Bay hike in campers to BYO water to Oberon Bay.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Baeng72 » Tue 16 Apr, 2024 11:39 am

Hey PCV. I was down at the Prom. on the 13th. Took Mr. J (oldest kid) as he said he was keen and headed for Roaring Meg.
Young bugger is strong as these days and just powered away from me with a 7kg pack.
He got ankle trouble, or so he said, by Half-way hut.
So, headed back to Telegraph Saddle.
We walked over 15km in a bit over 3 hours moving time.
Way faster than I like in my dotage, especially the climb over the last 3km and porting a 15kg pack.
Got a nice workout, but still nothing of interest to report or video.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 16 Apr, 2024 11:50 pm

Hi. I walked back from Oberon bay via Telegraph track so that was a solid day walk with a day pack in good weather. A wombat slashed my tent door open at Tidal River , looking for food. Now I have booked my tent into be mended by Finn Industries.
The shuttle Bus from Telegraph saddle was packed.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Baeng72 » Wed 17 Apr, 2024 9:33 am

I was getting a bit freaked by the amount of people on the bus on the way up to the saddle.
I'm used to seeing a handful of people at most during a whole walk. But I forgot how popular the Prom is, and even after Easter long weekend, packed.
I get the attraction, but won't be heading back there until the chill has deterred the less hardy folk.
Speaking of chill, when can we expect snow up in the hills? I mean, snow that hangs about? May/June?
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Camminata » Wed 17 Apr, 2024 9:39 am

I did the south once and have never gone back because its Bourke St Mall, in the middle of winter its quiet I assume???

Expect another warm winter I've read on sources, mid June onwards the snow will start to hang around , expect a intermittent dusting on repeat up until then imo.
The Inbetween Is Mine
Camminata
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://hikingtales55.blogspot.com

Postby Baeng72 » Wed 17 Apr, 2024 3:09 pm

I hadn't done southern circuit for 3 or 4 years and just assumed after Easter it'd be pretty quiet.
But they're still running buses, which used to stop in March, and run only over Easter long weekend, now they run through Autumn.
It's not really my idea of fun, as I like a bit of quiet, but Roaring Meg and Halfway Hut weren't booked out, nor Sealers (I guess the distance rules it out for a lot).
I've been in August and it was quiet, but that was years ago, but I'd guess mid-winter would be quieter.
The Northern circuit is more reasonably peopled and snaked.

La Nina has been announced, so might be moisture, but if it's warm, that'll wash away snow.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Wed 17 Apr, 2024 3:15 pm

In my experience while the 'quick way' into Sealers' cove is shut then walking
all the way to camp at Sealers' Cove is worth it. I did it in Oct. 2023.
The Northern Prom. is less busy full stop.
It is not for the lily livered day tourist on a shuttle from Tidal River.
Once the full southern circuit is reopened then allow a few months for the rush to die down.
In winter the Prom. is often deserted.
It is a unique and beautiful place. Just pick the May to Oct. time frame to avoid all of the crowds.
Plus avoid camping at Tidal River until May starts.
I camped at TR years ago in May and just surfed at Norman Bay each day. It was fine but the water was COLD without wet suit booties.
:-0
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Victoria