1 night hike Vic

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

1 night hike Vic

Postby HatSauce » Wed 20 Mar, 2024 9:18 pm

Hello
I am after a short (sub 20k, preferably 10-15k one way) 1 night hike in Victoria. I live in Seville in the Yarra Valley.

I am a moderately experienced day hiker, about to undertake my first multi day hike (3 day 2 night on the GSWW). I have done 3 capes. And plenty of camping where you drive to the site.

Before I do the GSWW, I want to walk to a camp-site, camp and return just to give the gear a shakedown.

Walk does not need to be challenging. Less populated camp sites prefered. Closer to the Yarra Valley or Outer East better. I welcome your recommendations. Thanks
HatSauce
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: 1 night hike Vic

Postby Joris » Thu 21 Mar, 2024 5:44 am

Close to Seville - you could try the Walk Into History starting at Big Pat's Creek towards the Ada Tree, camping at Federal Mill. That about fits the bill in terms of distance, slightly over 20km one way. For a slightly shorter effort you could stop at Ada Mill No 2 campsite instead. Return the same way or try some alternatives heading north and northwest from the latter camp to connect with Richard's Tramline Track which will lead you back to Big Pat's Creek.
Joris
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Thu 21 Mar, 2024 6:26 pm

Baw Baw N.P..
East Tyers campsite on the AAWT to Mt. Erica and back. Some steady up hill walking on day one and back down the same way.
A less arduous segment of the AAWT could be Walhalla to East Tyers campsite and back the next day.
Stronarch's camp on the Thompson Valley Road to Mt. Whitelaw Hut ruins and back the next day.
Baw Baw Village to Mt. Erica and back the next day.
Mt. St. Gwinear
car park to Mt. Erica and back the next day.
Lots of options.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Postby Casparvitch » Tue 26 Mar, 2024 1:37 pm

+1 for Baw Baw, always worth it going up there.
There's usually water near the Talbot ruins under the little bridge, or just north of the Whitelaw ruins.

I recently did the Walk into History and found it pretty blaa.
Quite a lot of ~2.5m high brown scrub on either side of the track, couldn't see many of the big gums.
But it is close to you!

Alternatively there's the Mountaineer camp walk in Lake Eildon. Carry in your water.
Casparvitch
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Mon 08 Apr, 2024 7:11 pm

Ritchie's hut , Howqua River, Alpine N.P..An easy Overnight hike.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Return to Victoria