Bogong & Baw Baw??

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Bogong & Baw Baw??

Postby zebedee » Wed 21 Jul, 2010 10:58 am

Hi all,
I have just moved to Australia and I will be living here for the next 12 months or so, currently I am working in vic and will probably be here until early nov, intend to head to Tassie then. I have set myself the goal of trekking to the highest points in each state. I am not a very experienced trekker, mainly low altitude trekking (<1000m) in Ireland and one high altitude trek in Nepal, EBC and Kala Patthar (5550m).
Mt Bogong should be first on my list, could anyone advise on what the snow cover is like there at present? How long will snow cover last for? I do not have any snow gear with me.
I am staying not far from Mt Baw Baw, how feasible is a summit of there this time of the year?

Thanks

zeb
zebedee
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Bogong & Baw Baw??

Postby Earwig » Wed 21 Jul, 2010 12:20 pm

Mt Baw Baw Summit in winter is easy - just take the summit ski-lift and you're there. Bogong in winter is at the other end of the spectrum and without appropriate gear you stand a good chance of getting into a lot of trouble. I'd wait until September or October. While your up that way, you should trek out to Feathertop - the second highest in Victoria and a great walk. For the other states remoteness will be more of an issue than altitude. Have fun.
Live life moving around so when you're dead people can tell the difference.
MY HIKING BLOG http://ian-folly.blogspot.com/
Earwig
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Earwig » Wed 21 Jul, 2010 12:27 pm

You could also climb Mt Wycheproof. According to Wikipedia, Mt Wycheproof, at a staggering 43 metres, is the lowest "mountain" in the world. (Australia has so much to be proud of). I suggest base camp at the local pub before attempting the summit.
Earwig
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby zebedee » Wed 21 Jul, 2010 2:57 pm

thanks for the suggestions. other than the prom, where else is feasible in the month of august. i wouldn't mind getting some light snow walking in, but obviously not needing cramp-ons/ice axe.
zebedee
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby north-north-west » Wed 21 Jul, 2010 6:31 pm

I've done Bogong from Mountain Creek in August, in standard gear, no crampons, snowshoes or ice-axe. Ditto The Bluff (this is south of Buller), Reynard, Tamboritha, the Wellington Plains and Spion Kopje (no, not that one, the one in the Alpine National Park)(no, not that one, the one in Wonnongatta-Moroka). Depends on how low the snow is and what the weather's like on the day.
There's also Stirling, although you have to pay to get in there.

The Grampians are always good - can get a bit of nasty weather on the higher bits in winter, especially the Major Mitchell, but even if it snows there it doesn't last long.
Plus there are other coastal areas, like Croajingalong, which offer good walking.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby zebedee » Thu 12 Aug, 2010 4:55 pm

Took a spin up to baw baw last weekend and done the summit trail, rented snow shoes from the place in the village. It was a nice walk, the summit is a bit disappointing with having no view and all, except the trees.

Been doing a bit of research online and found a few places in the city where I can rent crampons/ice axe and snow shoes.

For someone with very little ice climbing experience, would I have much difficulty with mt feathertop this time of year? I have been looking at a few trip reports online and the ‘easiest’ route up feathertop didn’t seem very technical, as long as you avoid the cornice in the latter sections. Sorry can’t remember the route name, I have the link to it at home, it was the easier one anyways.
zebedee
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby north-north-west » Wed 18 Aug, 2010 8:14 pm

Either the southern end of the Razorback, from the Hotham Road, or Federation Spur from down below. Both routes can be done as day trips in good conditions, although they aren't short days. Better to make it an overnighter. The Razorback route is easier as you don't have the climb.
I'm looking at doing a winter run out to Feathertop myself as soon as I get the time off. And some not-too-atrocious weather as I don't want top do a Holding . . .
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby zebedee » Wed 18 Aug, 2010 8:54 pm

how do you mean, the razorback....you dont have to climb?
zebedee
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby north-north-west » Wed 18 Aug, 2010 9:10 pm

The southern section of the Razorback starts at the Hotham Road. You're already a fair way up.
Sure, there's a bit of uphill, as the ridge undulates, but you don't have the big climb up from the valley that Federation or Bungalow spurs require.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Bill P » Thu 19 Aug, 2010 8:16 pm

Hi Earwig,
While Mt Wycheproof is only about 43m above the plain, it is actually about 148m above sea level. As a chronic underachiever in terms of mountain climbing I have developed an ongoing interest in the lesser peaks. I have earlier led a successful expedition which summitted Mt Dryden near Cape Bridgewater. At about 68m above sea level it is less spectacular than Mt Wycheproof, but it's the smallest one I've found. One does these things, of course, because they're there. And for the enduring glory.

Bill P :D
Bill P
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Earwig » Fri 20 Aug, 2010 12:13 pm

Thanks for the info Bill, I will have to travel to Mt Dryden and see how I go. I have already summited Mt Martha on the Mornington Peninsula, which is around 160m. I managed this feat unaided apart from the bus from Frankston Station. I did have plans for Mt Waverley but I have no idea where the summit might be! :). Ian
Earwig
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby trickos » Fri 20 Aug, 2010 12:20 pm

You fellas could start awarding yourself some peak bagging points like some of the Tassie folk :D
trickos
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Bill P » Fri 20 Aug, 2010 3:56 pm

Wow Earwing, soloing Mt Martha. :shock:

OK Trickos, you asked for it. :mrgreen: Here's an intial draft "list" from memory, for all the wannabe peak baggers out there. Sure to provoke a furore:

Elev
Mt Dryden 68
Mt Chaucer 126
Mt Cooper 137
Mt Wycheproof 148
Mt Martha 160
Mt Meuron 180
Mt Vandyke 182
Mt Terrick Terrick 196
Mt Hope 202
Mt Kincaid 202

I havent included Mt Waverley or Mt Eliza. I have standards, not high standards, just standards. Bill P
Bill P
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby trickos » Fri 20 Aug, 2010 4:24 pm

Don't forget Mt. Bellarine here on the Bellarine Peninsula....often covered in cloud at the lofty heights of 136m
trickos
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Bill P » Fri 20 Aug, 2010 5:16 pm

Knew this would happen. I just remembered Mt Igoldsby out the back of Anglesea. So top 10 now is:
Elev
Mt Dryden 68
Mt Ingoldsby 120
Mt Chaucer 126
Mt Bellarine 136
Mt Cooper 137
Mt Wycheproof 148
Mt Martha 160
Mt Meuron 180
Mt Vandyke 182
Mt Terrick Terrick 196

Great value. 10 peaks for the height of one.

Bill P
Bill P
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Fri 20 Aug, 2010 6:16 pm

How low can you go?
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Bill P » Fri 20 Aug, 2010 7:37 pm

NNW,

If i knew of a mountain lower than 68m, then I should lay siege to it, at once!

Bill P
Bill P
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby crockle » Tue 24 Aug, 2010 11:58 pm

Love your underachieving style Bill P. :D
crockle
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby donktec » Wed 25 Aug, 2010 5:49 pm

I like the discussion about the great peaks of Australia. Feel bad in attemping to drag the discussion back to loftier heights...
If you are near Baw Baw, then Mt Erica at the other end of the plateau is worth a look. You can start at the car park (~1000m) and go up past Mushroom Rock, hitting the snowline somewhere on the way. Good camping at an old hut site a few hundred meters further on (down) from the summit Though aside from a glimpse of the LaTrobe valley power stations through the trees, no view to be had form the top.

Bogong can be trisky (that's tricky and risky) in Winter. Have a friend who is a very experienced walker and ski tourer run into trouble last weekend. His party were literally blown off the summit ridge onto a steep icy slope. They only stopped going down when they hit fresh/soft snow. While ice-axe and crampons may not normally be required there (depending on what you are doing!) you can be caught out.
donktec
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Other Country

Postby Bill P » Wed 25 Aug, 2010 9:11 pm

Don't feel bad donktec, you are entirely correct . It's rude of me.

I should cart the discussion of the lesser peaks over & off to a small shelf like bivouac way over there, on the far side.

Down the ridge a bit, in the lee.

Maybe I should start a new topic about the less busy end of the adventuring spectrum? Anyone?

Saint Gwinear deserves better.

Bill P
Bill P
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby johnw » Thu 26 Aug, 2010 1:30 am

Bill P wrote:Maybe I should start a new topic about the less busy end of the adventuring spectrum? Anyone?

Bill, I reckon that's a great idea, I love it :D. You've inspired me to start my own list of nearby lowest high-points (I think I've actually tackled quite a few already without really knowing it).
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Bill P » Thu 26 Aug, 2010 10:48 am

Thanks fellow underachievers. This is likely to be the Next Big Thing, well maybe just the Next Thing. :wink:

I have started a new thread here: http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4692

Bill P
Bill P
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Thu 26 Aug, 2010 7:12 pm

[quote="donktec")If you are near Baw Baw, then Mt Erica at the other end of the plateau is worth a look. You can start at the car park (~1000m) and go up past Mushroom Rock, hitting the snowline somewhere on the way. Good camping at an old hut site a few hundred meters further on (down) from the summit Though aside from a glimpse of the LaTrobe valley power stations through the trees, no view to be had form the top.[/quote]
Yeah, but it's an easy daywalk, even in winter, from the Erica carpark to Camp Saddle and thence to St Gwinnear - which does have a bit of a view - or Pillock, which is a lovely little spot.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby donktec » Fri 27 Aug, 2010 8:16 am

Pillock? Do you mean St Philack? Or is that another place? Phillack is a nice spot - camped there last Winter - could see the fireworks and hear the party on Baw Baw. Thinking it was only a few km's to the pub (ie: a fire and drinks) there...
donktec
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Other Country

Postby north-north-west » Sun 29 Aug, 2010 7:11 pm

Of course I mean St Phillack. Although I prefer camping at Freeman's Flat.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 24 Jan, 2012 9:28 pm

I just did some walks around Mt Baw Baw last weekend and the trails are often very muddy/waterlogged and /or heavily over grown. You need gaiters that go up to your knees, waterproof hiking boots and sense of adventure. I was with two 'non hikers' and they had had enough after just crossing pudding basin wet alpine heath , on the way to the Nat. park junction, for the Mt St Gwinear turn off.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Return to Victoria