Great South West Walk

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Great South West Walk

Postby Dianegow » Sat 03 Dec, 2011 10:52 am

Hi
I am planning to go back to the Great South West Walk next April (2012) to complete the whole thing! I have done the forest and river section by kayak but just got to the pub at Nelson and that was it! Please drop me a note if interested in joining me. I prefer to kayak the Glenelg on the second section, cost of kayaks is about $50 for three day trip, walking is all flat, i understand that Section 3, the beaches is the toughest bit. The last Section Capes and Bays is beautiful. Not cost for the campsites, can go four days and see no one! I am from Melbourne so could share transport down,
Let me know if you might be interested, i have been bushwalking for around ten years, easy going, medium fitness level, social worker when not bushwalking, and live in the Dandeonongs.
Diane
Dianegow
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Great South West Walk

Postby sim1oz » Mon 05 Dec, 2011 11:58 pm

Hi Diane,
I live in Melbourne and am interested in doing the GSWW next year. April might work depending on the dates. I've been bushwalking for a while and coincidentally walked up the 1000 steps to Kalorama and back down again two weekends ago.
Simone
Carpe diem!
sim1oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Bill P » Fri 16 Dec, 2011 6:45 pm

Hi Di & Simone,

Good luck with the trip. Please consider the World's Smallest Mountain, Mt Dryden, near Descartes Bay. :wink:

ps I bought a copy of the newly released "Lower Glenelg & Discovery Bay " 1:50k map last weekend in Nelson. I think it's rather good.

cheers

Bill P
Bill P
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby jez_au » Fri 27 Jan, 2012 3:31 pm

Bill P wrote:I bought a copy of the newly released "Lower Glenelg & Discovery Bay " 1:50k map last weekend in Nelson.

Bill might be referring to the 1:50 000 topo map by Cartographics and Meridian Maps. I've used it, it is very good, better than the map on the Great South West Walk website. It is recent, accurate with lots of good info marked. It can be purchased online or locally at Portland at the Portland Visitor Information Centre or Davis Newsagency.

Cartographics - http://www.cartographics.com.au/
Meridian Maps - http://www.meridianmaps.com.au/news_images/new_release_links/vic_lower_nr.asp

If you are looking for GPS files I have some on my blog at http://jez-hiking.blogspot.com/2012/01/finishing-off-great-south-west-walk.html or over at Everytrail.com

blogs - www.jeremyc.com
peak bagging - peakclimbs.com
jez_au
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby sim1oz » Sun 01 Apr, 2012 12:32 am

Thanks, Bill and Jez for the tips.
Carpe diem!
sim1oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides