Mt Bogong Information

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Mt Bogong Information

Postby silver » Mon 02 Jan, 2012 7:52 pm

Hello,

In about 3 weeks I am going to climb Mt Bogong. I am going solo (with PLB) but am just after some information/recommondations from those who have climbed it before.

I plan to leave Saturday Morning from Mountain Creek Picnic area and hike up Eskdale Spur and either camp on summit (depending on conditions, which i am aware can change very rapidly) or continue onto Cleve Cole Hut. I will return down Staircase Spur on Sunday morning. The information i am after is:

- expected climate at summit during January (likely to get any snow? i heard it can reach below 0 even in summer)
- dangerous animals/insects (red bellies etc)
- your experience of the hike

Thanks!

Michael
silver
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Mt Bogong Information

Postby gmac » Mon 02 Jan, 2012 9:11 pm

Gidday Michael

Walked Bogong twice in 2011 (Jan and Nov). Went up via the staircase and returned via eskdale. Fortunate to have good weather both trips therefore great views and stayed down at Cleve Cole which is a top spot to stay. In Nov did the short walk down to Howmans Falls and was rewarded with some great views.

In Jan we did get some overnight rain and the walk out the next morning was cool and windy, but no snow. But you just never know up there.

Did encounter a couple of snakes on the Jan trip, that was on the way back along the river/creek.

Never know how many others will be up there last Jan. Last year there was our group of 3 camped at Cleave Cole and then 2 guys from the US walking the AAWT walked in for the night. Compared to Nov when there would have been approx 24 walkers camped in the area around the hut.

It is a solid walk but worth it. Enjoy.

gmac
gmac
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby silver » Tue 03 Jan, 2012 1:31 pm

Thanks for that. Looking forward to it. I might just take the walk down to Howmans Falls also, considering I'm making it an overnight hike. Would love to do it in winter also.
silver
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby ryantmalone » Tue 10 Jan, 2012 7:17 pm

Hi Michael, Mt Bogong is a great walk, I've had the pleasure of doing it quite a few times in the past, when it is under snow, when it is not covered in snow, and even woke up at Cleve Cole Hut on the morning that the 2003 fires started wondering what all the smoke was about.

I've never had a trip to Bogong that has been the same as the last.

So, what to expect. Eskdale Spur is the shortest climb, but the steeper alternative. I prefer walking down Eskdale personally, and find the upper reaches of the spur to be much more exciting. That said, for climbing up, the Staircase although it is longer, it is a much nicer walk, and is broken up with the steps unlike Eskdale which is a constant climb with Mitchells Hut being the only real reprieve.

As for the climate - in Summer I have climbed Mt Bogong both with no snow on it, and with a foot of snow. Yes, it can get extremely cold on the summit, in particular because of the brutal exposure that is up there. Keep an eye on the forecast and only camp up there if the conditions permit you to do so, as navigation to Cleve Cole from the summit can be somewhat difficult in bad conditions.

As for dangerous animals - just keep watch for snakes. If you're really worried, wear gaiters. Although they are not 100% protection against a snake bite, I have been bitten in the past wearing gaiters, and the snake did not get through, so it's a little extra just in case, but definitely not a certainty of avoiding a bite. The Brown Snakes will generally take off when they feel vibrations caused by your feet, but Tiger Snakes can stand their ground. Just so long as you have a keen eye, and NEVER approach a snake, you will be fine. Apart from that, you'll probably just be bit by a good number of March Flies.

It's an excellent walk, one of my favourites. You can walk up the Staircase and down Eskdale in a day (I've done the circuit in 6 hours in the past), but it is best experienced with an overnight camp, either on the summit (if safe) or at Cleve Cole/Maddisons.
ryantmalone
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby silver » Mon 16 Jan, 2012 5:44 pm

Thanks for your insight. I have chosen to take on Eskdale Spur on the way up as an added challenge (that I am sure i will be cursing on the way up). The next time I will most likely reverse. I will be upgrading my leather gaiters to Sea to Summit gaiters :D

Thanks again!
silver
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby gayet » Mon 16 Jan, 2012 5:51 pm

Might want to reconsider Mt Bogong - a hiker has just set fire to it!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-01-16/hiker-lights-bushfire-to-get-help/3775948

Seems he got lost so climbed a hill and lit a signal fire - but forgot to control it.......

And the authorities say he did the right thing! :shock:
gayet

Mt Bogong Information

Postby oyster_07 » Mon 16 Jan, 2012 6:17 pm

I'm going to resist the urge to call him names.
He must have had no idea where he was for a very long time, and then figured "if I keep moving for many more hours, a magical rabbit will guide me to where I need to be".
It's true that accidents happen but it's people like this that seemingly make their own bad luck (and that of others).
oyster_07
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby JohnM » Tue 17 Jan, 2012 5:24 pm

Cool. Now that I know you can just set fire to the bush to effect a rescue, I'm putting my PLB on ebay.

Why are they winching him out when he's just a little bit lost and in no danger? Chuck him a map and compass from the helicopter with a 'you are here' sticker on the map and let him find his own way out.
JohnM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Mt Bogong Information

Postby oyster_07 » Tue 17 Jan, 2012 8:32 pm

Not to diminish his apparent lack of ability to take care of himself, the initial report of a 12 hectare brushfire was incorrect. It was actually 0.12 hectares. That's about the size of a tennis court.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/breaki ... 6246189289
oyster_07
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Fri 20 Jan, 2012 5:57 pm

JohnM wrote:Why are they winching him out when he's just a little bit lost and in no danger? Chuck him a map and compass from the helicopter with a 'you are here' sticker on the map and let him find his own way out.

I like the way you think.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby silver » Mon 23 Jan, 2012 5:24 pm

Yeah I read that article on the day. Anyone walking remote should hold a map and compass. Simple.

Also, what is my best way of attaining weather reports for Mt Bogong?
Bright and Falls Creek seem to be the closest reports I can see. Is it safe to assume that Brights weather will be somewhat close to the base of Mt Bogong, and Falls creek the summit?
silver
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby JohnM » Mon 23 Jan, 2012 7:20 pm

Pretty much. But Mt Bogong can have it's own nasty little micro-climate at times.
JohnM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby icemancometh » Mon 23 Jan, 2012 9:08 pm

JohnM wrote:Cool. Now that I know you can just set fire to the bush to effect a rescue, I'm putting my PLB on ebay.

Why are they winching him out when he's just a little bit lost and in no danger? Chuck him a map and compass from the helicopter with a 'you are here' sticker on the map and let him find his own way out.

Because he would probably burn the rest of the bush, that's wy!
icemancometh
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Return to Victoria