Mt Asplenium

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Mt Asplenium

Postby Ranger-Jules 1 » Wed 05 Jun, 2013 9:23 am

Has anyone been passed the Mt Asplenium land slides under the cliff breaks yet? We are about to embark on the classic Main range through walk from Spicers to Teviot this long weekend. Any clues would be good. We have seen it from a distance and are wondering what we are in for, as they are quite large and right where we will be walking. I know another two groups are doing it as well, but we will be there before any of them get there, so we are going to be the first to encounter this, unless others have been there.
Ranger-Jules 1
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Re: Mt Asplenium

Postby bumblefoot » Wed 05 Jun, 2013 11:06 am

Thanks for the heads up, Ranger Jules. I am leading one of the two groups you refer to who is doing the walk this weekend, so this is good info.

What camp sites have you booked?

Just so you know, Steamer Saddle and Mt Huntley summit camp sites have been booked by our groups in full for BOTH nights and so are unavailable.

Thanks, Bumblefoot
bumblefoot
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Kurto74 » Tue 16 Jul, 2013 11:21 pm

Do either of you have any comments on track conditions? Would it also be wise to use rope when traversing the route South to North?
Kurto74
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby PeterPan » Sun 18 Aug, 2013 7:05 am

I'm looking to walk Spicers to Teviot in a few weeks if anyone has recent info on track and water I would appreciate it. Thanks
PeterPan
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Australia

Postby Ranger-Jules 1 » Fri 23 Aug, 2013 10:18 am

We did this several weeks ago. All good around Asplenium and other places. THey have been burning off around there so the track may not be as obvious in places, but overall it is well defined. The landslips do not affect your climbing MT Asplenium at all. MT Huntley has a rather large landslip, where the old one was, just go through it to climb MT Huntley. We went straight up from the start, but it was too steep in parts, better to traverse it. Looking very nice up that way at the moment. Get in before the heat comes!
Ranger-Jules 1
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Queensland