Ewan Maddock Dam

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Ewan Maddock Dam

Postby hunsta » Sun 31 Mar, 2013 9:53 pm

For those looking for a good family friendly set of walks to do. Just spent the day at Ewan Maddock dam. Nice find. Very family friendly. Nice 10km return walk. And a 1.5km one for granny if you take her out for the day.
http://www.aussiebushwalking.com/qld/su ... addock-dam
I REALLY AM A NICE GUY. JUST ASK ANYONE WHO HASN'T MET ME.
http://www.facebook.com/groups/gympieregionalhiking/
hunsta
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Re: Ewan Maddock Dam

Postby Giddy_up » Sat 19 Oct, 2013 6:01 am

Off to do this one this morning, shouldn't take to long and the forecast looks ok. Trip report tonight.
causa latet, vis est notissima
Giddy_up
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Re: Ewan Maddock Dam

Postby Giddy_up » Sun 20 Oct, 2013 9:27 am

Well I walked this yesterday with two of my kids and it was quite a good hit out. The walk starts of on timber board walk with nice views over the dam and then moves onto well compacted gravel which is then the surface for the rest of the walk. You move through some nice little patches of timber and get some good views out over the dam but its not anything spectacular. There are no real grades to worry about and just about anyone with some fitness and a little time could complete this walk easily. We completed the 10km circuit in just under 3 hours and that had a stop of at least half an hour whilst we sat and had sandwiches and I boiled some water for a cup of tea. As a side note, the kids carried everything in their backpack which is an Osprey Ace 48. They carried 2l water and sandwiches and the stove and gas as well as tea making facilities. I didnt weigh it but my guess would have been about 5kg including the pack and it was carried without complaint.

So if your in the area and need to get out and walk to stretch the legs without much fuss, this will be a good walk that won't take up much of your day. I should also mention that there are toilets and BBQ's if you did want to make a day of it and try to catch some Australian Bass as this dam has plenty.
Attachments
IMG_0571.jpg
Just having fun
causa latet, vis est notissima
Giddy_up
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Queensland