3 day walks - Gold Coast Hinterland

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

3 day walks - Gold Coast Hinterland

Postby mountnman » Sat 30 Nov, 2013 7:51 pm

Hi everybody,

I'm planning to go on a 3 day walk shortly (providing the weather stays reasonable). I was looking at the Gold Coast hinterland great walk, however after looking at the topo, I realised that it's a one way walk, which is not suitable with one car.

I was wondering if anybody could suggest other walks in the Gold Coast hinterland region, 3 days in length, and a return walk. Preferably on track.

Thanks in advance :-)
Research has shown that men usually sleep on the right side of the bed.
Even in our sleep we happen to be right....
mountnman
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Re: 3 day walks - Gold Coast Hinterland

Postby cams » Tue 03 Dec, 2013 12:58 pm

mountnman wrote:Hi everybody,

I'm planning to go on a 3 day walk shortly (providing the weather stays reasonable). I was looking at the Gold Coast hinterland great walk, however after looking at the topo, I realised that it's a one way walk, which is not suitable with one car.

I was wondering if anybody could suggest other walks in the Gold Coast hinterland region, 3 days in length, and a return walk. Preferably on track.

Thanks in advance :-)

I think you've missed your chance for the next couple of months. Bush camping is closed for December and January every year. http://www.nprsr.qld.gov.au/parks/lamin ... mping.html

You can probably still do the great walk though since you only bush camp in Springbrook NP. You can do a car shuffle if you're going with someone. Otherwise maybe an overnighter from Green Mountains to Binna Burra and back. Or Green mountains to Binna Burra, do a day walk the next day then back to Green Mountains again the third with a variation from the border track to make the return trip a bit more interesting.
cams
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Re: 3 day walks - Gold Coast Hinterland

Postby mountnman » Tue 03 Dec, 2013 10:24 pm

Hi Cams,

I was not aware of a bush camping closure. I will keep in mind for future trips.

I was looking at doing it just as an overnighter along the Border Track, from Green Mountain to Binna Burra, but would I be correct in saying the only camping at Binna Burra is the private campground for $28 per night just for an unpowered site? If so, Binna Burra to Green Mountains is an option, as I know there is a NP campsite there for a reasonable cost.

I'm still open to other suggestion for overnighters. Would love to go to Springbrook NP (no camping restrictions there?), but as with Lamington, just by looking at a map the tracks go everywhere and it's a bit hard to determine a route without much local knowledge.
Research has shown that men usually sleep on the right side of the bed.
Even in our sleep we happen to be right....
mountnman
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Return to Queensland