Karawatha Forest

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Karawatha Forest

Postby ofuros » Wed 25 Mar, 2020 3:41 pm

Brisbane Southside.
Great for training/conditioning.

Rolly Polly hills, a couple of disused quarrys(one filled with water), sandstone outcrops, wallaby's early in the morning, lush green wetlands at the moment, open eucalypt forest, creeks still have water, small pools.

Lots of unofficial tracks in between the tracks marked on the basic Karawatha map. I'm still finding new ones, my GPS map of the area looks like a bowl of wriggly coloured spaghetti. :lol:
Short circuits around the Karawatha Discovery Centre or explore & make your own circuits up to around 18km long. Worth a look if you need to stretch your hairy legs. :wink:
Last edited by ofuros on Wed 25 Mar, 2020 6:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Re: Karawatha Forest

Postby dalehikes » Wed 25 Mar, 2020 4:00 pm

Karawatha is great for midweek adventures. Large area and most of the time you barely see anyone, especially if you start from the Illaweena entrance.

They are trying to crack down on the illegal tracks as the mountain bikers have taken a liking to this area and started cutting in new tracks.

The high sandstone outcrop is great for sunset views with Lamington, Barney, Main Range, Tamborine and Flinders areas all visible on clear days.

The wallabies are far more skittish in this forest than other local areas so at best you see them skipping away.
dalehikes
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ofuros » Wed 25 Mar, 2020 5:13 pm

I've only seen bikers in there a couple of times, but definitely don't need anymore 'unofficial' tracks.
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ofuros » Sun 27 Feb, 2022 7:07 pm

Had to stretch my legs with my lad.
Local tracks turned into streams....hopefully this is the tail end of this one hell of a deluge for SE Qld aka "The Rain Bomb" by the news outlets.
Stay safe.

IMG_20220227_062102_2.jpg
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Queensland