Scenic Rim Trail

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: Scenic Rim Trail

Postby flingebunt » Fri 17 Jul, 2020 9:09 pm

Last edited by flingebunt on Fri 17 Jul, 2020 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flingebunt
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Lyrebird » Fri 17 Jul, 2020 9:12 pm

That sounds a bit sketchy. May be worth a call/email to clarify with NP, and ask them to specify any booking conditions wrt the sites. If they mention any restrictions be sure to ask them why; i.e. what legislation or policy applies. And get a name...
Lyrebird
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby flingebunt » Fri 17 Jul, 2020 9:32 pm

Lyrebird wrote:That sounds a bit sketchy. May be worth a call/email to clarify with NP, and ask them to specify any booking conditions wrt the sites. If they mention any restrictions be sure to ask them why; i.e. what legislation or policy applies. And get a name...

Might have to write to the minister in charge or my local MP, or the opposition minister.
flingebunt
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lyrebird » Fri 17 Jul, 2020 9:49 pm

Feel free, never hurts. That will be Leeanne Enoch (Minister for Environment), David Crisafulli (shadow Minister for Environment, Gold Coast (Broadwater) MP and very much a man on the make, if the stories are true; it is an election year :roll:), Jon Krause (member for Scenic Rim) and whoever your local yokel is. Contact Parks first, because otherwise the standard response will be Talk to Parks.
Lyrebird
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby flingebunt » Fri 17 Jul, 2020 10:38 pm

Lyrebird wrote:Feel free, never hurts. That will be Leeanne Enoch (Minister for Environment), David Crisafulli (shadow Minister for Environment, Gold Coast (Broadwater) MP and very much a man on the make, if the stories are true; it is an election year :roll:), Jon Krause (member for Scenic Rim) and whoever your local yokel is. Contact Parks first, because otherwise the standard response will be Talk to Parks.

When I lived in Sydney, they did work on the local train station. But they put like one bench per platform. I then wrote to my local member (who just happened to write letters to his constituents at that exact time). He had a meeting with the minister and not only did they add extra benches, they had more benches per platform than any other station in Sydney.

When I worked in Redcliffe, one of my bosses tried to move his kids from a private to a public school. But they said "You only have a 6 month lease, sorry." So I said "Talk to your local MP." He did, the local MP talked to the school, and his kids were enrolled.

Never be afraid to write to or talk to your local member. That is what they are paid to do. If it isn't something big or related to policy, they will lean on the right people. As long as they don't have to find money or challenge the party bosses, they will definitely go to the trouble of talking to someone.
flingebunt
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ofuros » Sat 18 Jul, 2020 2:30 am

flingebunt wrote:
ofuros wrote:As I understand from the website, it's the Trailhead & the first 6km across private land that is one way. Their land their rules.

The rest is within the Np, so off track circuits from Glen Rock or Mana Gum campsite, section hiking along the Winder track to Mistake Mts, Blackfellow falls, Amphitheatre or from/to Bare Rock & Cunningham's Gap are all still options in any direction...Nothing has changed there.

But to book a campsite, you have to book all 3 at the same time. You can't book an individual site, only the Scenic Rim Trail. Or that is how it seems to me. I would be interested in learning more.

Ahh, but who said I was using their campsites.... :wink:
Plenty of remote bush camps in the area.
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ofuros » Sat 18 Jul, 2020 3:19 am

CBee wrote:How about manicured hikes Spicers to Teviot, with glamping and champagne at Huntley Saddle and Lizard Point? BTW yes should be a good easy hike...

Means a side trip along the SW ridge from Spicers Peak(West)...
But I'm sure you could phone Spicers Peak Lodge & arrange a sumptuous feast, a magical massage for aching muscles or even a private lodge stay on the edge of the wilderness, if your missing the finer things on your Scenic Rim Traverse. :lol:

or maybe I shouldn't joke... :shock:
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Aardvark » Sat 18 Jul, 2020 3:34 am

Less than a year ago we exited to Laidley Gap after circuiting around from Grass Tree Knob, Mt.Castle, Winder Track etc. We ran into the manager on the way out. He spoke of all the difficulties in constructing track work below Laidley Gap. They were having to jump all sorts of hoops to get approval.
I was surprised how pleasant the going was past Mt.Mistake as memories of old had cemented in my mind all manner of vegetation problems there. There was still a few hundred metres of nettle, lantanna and the like between the farmland and the national park.
My concerns lie with the walk along the escarpment between Sylvesters Lookout and Bare Rock. A favourite of ours because it completes a good daywalk after ascending Boars Head. The map on the parks site suggests they have diverted their route to the west slightly and come back southeastward to Bare Rock.
We're heading out today to check it out.
Ever on the search for a one ended stick.
Aardvark
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lyrebird » Sat 18 Jul, 2020 8:38 am

if your missing the finer things on your Scenic Rim Traverse.

Personally, I'd settle for a decent sandwich. :lol:
We're heading out today to check it out.

I'd be interested to hear what it was like, let us know.
Lyrebird
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby grunter » Sat 18 Jul, 2020 12:47 pm

https://parks.des.qld.gov.au/parks/main ... uth-remote found Ramparts South remote bush camp booking info.
grunter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby CBee » Sat 18 Jul, 2020 1:10 pm

No, you should not.
CBee
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby flingebunt » Sat 18 Jul, 2020 3:45 pm

CBee wrote:

No, you should not.

Yes, yes you should joke. As the Irish say, if you are not laughing you are crying.
flingebunt
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Aardvark » Sun 19 Jul, 2020 3:47 pm

From Mana Gum campsite at Goomburra the junction with the SRT from the north and the Cascades Circuit is marginally closer if taking the left, clockwise option.This option is taken after the initial hundred metres or so of road out of the campsite.
The uphill, anticlockwise option is more direct if heading south to Bare Rock.
At appx 3/4 of 150m ascent over 1.5k is a lodge (presumably Spicers Retreat). This would remain hidden to anyone just doing the SRT.
At appx 900m alt is a junction. The Cascades Circuit is the lesser track on the left. The road continues on as the Ridge Track, heading SSW and turning westward to another junction after 350m (as per SRT notes). The Ridge Track continues westward as the lesser track whilst the Banshee Fire Trail is on the left heading south.

Back on the Cascades Circuit at appx GR 379038 a wooden post with an SRT marker sits next to the track. This would probably not make a walker just doing the CC think there was another route . A pad leads to the creek only a few metres away as is the case many times over along the circuit.
Looking downstream, a junction reveals a tributary coming in from the east. Vague footfall leads around into the tributary and continues upstream on the true left for appx 30m before crossing the stream. A further 10m upstream on the true right the pad leads directly away from the creek and steeply uphill.
A metal, wilderness awareness sign of the newest variety warns those who wish to proceed but makes no mention of the SRT.

Continuing south on the CC the track almost straight away zig zags uphill to gain appx 80m in height and pass Cascade Falls. Just upstream of these falls is a shorter waterfall with a nice but small pool at the base. We briefly caught sight and heard a pair of Lyrebirds in this part of the rainforest.
The track soon crosses the stream to emerge on the true left and contour another 500m or so to the junction with the Ridge Track.

Unlike the 500m mentioned in the SRT notes the Banshee Walkers Camp appears on the left after two minutes of walking on relatively flat road.
A typical walkers camp consisting of 4 wooden tent platforms, a toilet block and a small water tank amongst Chinese Fir trees. No views and little sunlight gets through. The trees would however prevent much dew falling through.
The BFT continues slightly downhill SSE for a kilometre where an SRT marker indicates a lesser track on the left GR 372027.
This track begins quite flat as it winds around various obstacles. After a few hundred metres it takes more of a very gradual descent over slightly rougher ground to contour mostly SSE toward a saddle in the Main Range escarpment. Going from just above 1000m alt on the BFT to appx 920m alt after a km.No markers are seen along here.
A gully is crossed and the trail skirts the base of a large smooth boulder as it climbs out the other side. One can sense the saddle nearing after a further 1/2km and a ridge can be seen above, through the trees to the south. Markers start to appear as this is now in the vicinity of paths taken by individuals plying the route between Sylvesters L/O and Bare Rock. The markers take a zig zag route over and around treefall as the trail gradually ascends.
The trail tops out briefly at appx 1100m alt. There is a further 1 and a 1/2km or so to Bare Rock and the trail still has some undulation before the final rocky rise to Bare Rock at 1168m.
SRT notes suggest 7-8 hrs walking from Banshee Walkers Camp to Cunninghams Gap. This could be true considering the carrying of heavier packs and some rest periods. I would suggest daywalkers would cover the ground between Bare Rock and the camp in 2-3 hours. The 6k between Cunninghams Gap and Bare Rock is a graded track enabling faster travel if preferred.
Aardvark
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ofuros » Sun 19 Jul, 2020 5:48 pm

Thanks for update Aardvark... Cunningham's Gap + Goomburra were very popular this weekend. Stunning days for a walk.
Last edited by ofuros on Mon 20 Jul, 2020 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Aardvark » Sun 19 Jul, 2020 6:10 pm

Cunninghams Gap carpark full and many more cars lining the highway. It's like this on many a weekend day now.
We thought Goomburra had so many campers due to NSW school holidays but most of the vehicles i noted had Qld plates.
The only walkers we saw were old age and close to the campground. That was saturday.

Frankly it's good to see the trail keeps a low profile at present. It's fortunate that some of the route on the escarpment remains untouched. Having a direct link between Bare Rock and Goomburra may in fact steer the majority of walkers that way simply because it is easier to follow.
Competent off track walkers have the option of a circuit between Bare Rock and Sylvesters L/O.
Aardvark
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ofuros » Mon 20 Jul, 2020 7:56 am

CBee wrote:

No, you should not.

The 'spicey' word shall no longer pass these lips... :wink:
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby dalehikes » Mon 20 Jul, 2020 12:38 pm

https://www.afr.com/life-and-luxury/tra ... 708-p55a94

"The writer travelled courtesy of Spicers Retreats." Paid for a glowing endorsement in a high end publication.

"These eco-cabins – the first privately funded buildings in a Queensland national park" Positive spin on a negative.

"The trail, one of the largest ecotourism ventures attempted in Queensland, will create a protected wildlife corridor for almost 500 animal species and 250 bird species." HUH??

"Where you can head into nature without roughing it, have a hot shower, comfortable beds, a glass of wine, no heavy backpack" Human comforts are not nature... SMH

"although it’s the two eco-cabins built on land leased for 60 years within the World Heritage-listed national park that have dominated the outlay" More pos spin on a neg.

"The Timber Getters Eco-Cabins sit close to the ground, so guests are connected with the forest floor" Laughable.

“We literally had to write the rules and wait for approval because no one has ever built [a privately funded building] in a national park in Queensland,” This is the worst bit.

"Turner says. “It’s taken many, many years of approvals and knock-backs. I won’t lie, there were many times I thought, why? I’m glad it’s done.” So HOW did it get DONE in the end? Hmm.
dalehikes
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Aardvark » Mon 20 Jul, 2020 12:54 pm

I should have taken a picture. If they're connected to the ground it's only on one side. The balcony side facing the road was well and truly above the ground. There was like a net as if to catch drunk or stupid tenants if they fell.
I'll get a shot when i'm out there next weekend.
Aardvark
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby warloch » Mon 20 Jul, 2020 1:35 pm

Are the huts intrusive or they tucked away enough you'd only find them if you were directly looking for them?
warloch
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby CBee » Mon 20 Jul, 2020 5:07 pm

There was like a net as if to catch drunk or stupid tenants if they fell

Brilliant idea!
The 'spicey' word shall no longer pass these lips... :wink:

This is serious man! :shock:
CBee

Postby Aardvark » Mon 20 Jul, 2020 5:41 pm

warloch wrote:Are the huts intrusive or they tucked away enough you'd only find them if you were directly looking for them?

If you're walking the Cascades Circuit (a 6.5km walk from the campsite) you walk right past the lodge, within metres. We thought it was possibly a home at first. A car sat out front. The main building is the size of a small home and the 'cabins' are one long line (joined) on the upper side. It's not a flat piece of land.
I don't see anything ECO about it but then we just walked past. The car only has to drive a kilometre at best from the locked gate at the campsite.
You would have to leave the SRT and turn right downhill 500m toward Goomburra's Mana Gum campsite to see it.
Aardvark
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Aardvark » Mon 20 Jul, 2020 5:44 pm

CBee wrote:
There was like a net as if to catch drunk or stupid tenants if they fell

Brilliant idea!

Well, if it costs $1500 a night at the retreat (it's a culinary experience i believe) and nearly $5000 or so to take the guided walk, i imagine it's big on fine dining and alcohol.
Aardvark
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lyrebird » Mon 20 Jul, 2020 9:19 pm

Thanks for the heads up.
Lyrebird
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby CBee » Tue 21 Jul, 2020 1:07 pm

Well, if it costs $1500 a night at the retreat (it's a culinary experience i believe) and nearly $5000 or so to take the guided walk, i imagine it's big on fine dining and alcohol.

A culinary experience or lots of alcohol. One excludes the other. I hope the "lots of alcohol" is at the end of the walk otherwise they'll need more than just nets... :D
CBee

Postby Aardvark » Tue 21 Jul, 2020 4:47 pm

Might not be so much the volume of alcohol but the quality.
Aardvark
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby flingebunt » Tue 21 Jul, 2020 4:55 pm

Aardvark wrote:Might not be so much the volume of alcohol but the quality.

Why not both. Quality can be a great substitute for quantity, but just because there is quality, doesn't mean you can't go for quantity.
flingebunt
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Aseneter23 » Sat 12 Dec, 2020 11:53 pm

'The trick would be getting from Spicer's Gap to Cummingham's gap. Looking at AllTrails, you should be able to walking to the Cunningham Highway via Governor's Chair and there may be a way via an unofficial trail that follows Gap Creek along the Cunningham's highway, so that you don't have to walk along the verge. Good luck with that.'
It seems to me like it will be difficult but interesting.
Hey! I'm Alex and I'm a nevbie here. If you are interested in knowing me better, you may check my contribution into web content.
Aseneter23
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Australia

Postby Aardvark » Sun 13 Dec, 2020 10:59 am

There are a few options in getting from Cunninghams Gap to Spicers Gap. It requires some thought because it's not simply one 'signed' and graded track all the way. There are numerous people who have campaigned against that, for a long time.
That's got nothing to do with the SRT (Scenic Rim Trail.) The SRT finishes at Cunninghams Gap, even if some of those doing it are going on to the Spicers resort, west of Spicers Pk.
People have been traversing the length of Main Range for many decades now. I 've done it many times since the early 80's.
I only hope it stays the way it is for as long as possible.
Aardvark
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Previous

Return to Queensland