Desktop version
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.

Forum rules

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.
Post a reply

dumb question about closed nat parks in QLD?

Fri 24 Jul, 2020 11:02 pm

I want to do the great cooloola walk. It doesnt say anything about it being closed in the alerts page but it says this in the conditions report

Cooloola Recreation Area vehicle access:A Restricted Access Area has been declared within the Bribie Island and Cooloola Recreation Areas to manage the safety of visitors and the community during the COVID-19 health emergency.A person must not enter or remain in the Restricted Access Area unless they hold both a written approval to enter the restricted access area and a valid vehicle access permit, or they have a current vehicle exemption.CAMPERS require:1.A camping permit (which includes a COVID-19 Restricted Access Area Authority) for the duration of the visit;and2.A current vehicle access permit(which can only be used only for the dates of the camping permit).

It really sounds like this applies to walk in campers but im confused about why its talking about vehicle access. If i book and it goes through is that to be taken as confirmation its not closed to walk ins?

Whilst i've got you, how likely is tank water to be high now during this season, given that its school holidays and theres probably more hikers than usual due to covid?

Re: dumb question about closed nat parks in QLD?

Sat 25 Jul, 2020 8:43 am

Simple enough. Most visitors drive into the park and camp, either along the ocean beach or at one of camping areas on the upper Noosa River.
How this applies to through walkers is unclear from the snippet you’ve supplied. Best call QNPWS for advice.

Re: dumb question about closed nat parks in QLD?

Sat 25 Jul, 2020 9:10 am

The vehicle access permits are just for people driving on the soft sandy roads of the national park and have always been a requirement. For a walker, you won't need one of those unless you are driving into an area that requires them.

This map shows where Vehicle Access Permits are required*&%$#! ... dy-map.pdf

When looking for maps, type into good [Place you want to go] PDF to find the old, sensible non-interactive maps you can print out or download onto your phone.
Post a reply