Hiking and not using Queensland Campsites

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Hiking and not using Queensland Campsites

Postby RodMcL » Sun 02 Aug, 2020 11:45 am

Quick question for those who can help. I am new to QLD and am trying to figure out how it works. Things are different in VIC. I want to through hike and not use campground campsites. I have nor problem paying fees. I just loath being in campgrounds with people playing loud music and being tools. I want to be able to camp in the bush where I want to away from anybody else. I had assumed the State Forests would allow this but a cursory look at the parks website says I need permit and campbround :cry: Kind regards,

Rod
RodMcL
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Re: Hiking and not using Queensland Campsites

Postby ofuros » Sun 02 Aug, 2020 3:50 pm

https://parks.des.qld.gov.au/camping/where-to-camp

Choose Region, choose National Park, press the lower 'camping' button on that park page...should give you a choice of remote bush camps with no facilities, walk in only.

When booking...if you press on the camp description it'll give a map grid reference or GPS coordinates or both.
Last edited by ofuros on Sun 02 Aug, 2020 4:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ofuros » Sun 02 Aug, 2020 3:56 pm

....and it looks like the campsite locations are back up on interactive map again after Parks fixed some location errors.
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby RodMcL » Sun 02 Aug, 2020 4:51 pm

Thank you.
RodMcL
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby flingebunt » Sun 02 Aug, 2020 5:14 pm

It all depends on the hike, but with many of the South East Queensland multi-day hikes, you will be staying in walkers camps, where few people stay as they are not accessible by vehicle. It depends on the hike though. Sunshine Coast Great Walk is all walkers camp, though there is one you can drive close by to. Conondale Great Walk has walkers camps that are near roads and 2 campsites (if you do the extra walk via Mt Allan) that are huge and has lots of people. Gold Coast Great Walk includes 1 site on the track that is for car campers, but you can skip that by walking an extra 10 kms (on a mostly flat path).

Maybe let us know the hike that you want to do and we can make some suggestions.
flingebunt
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby RodMcL » Wed 05 Aug, 2020 1:20 pm

I'm going with the good old definition of camping. Sleeping on the ground in a bivvy bag isn't really camping. I can always pay for a permit and find myself so fatigued that I can't safely make the campsite. My only option in that case to avoid creating a situation would be to break track, move off into the bush and recover in my bivvy bag.
RodMcL
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby ChrisJHC » Wed 05 Aug, 2020 7:04 pm

RodMcL wrote:I'm going with the good old definition of camping. Sleeping on the ground in a bivvy bag isn't really camping.

Ah, the first time I slept in a bivvy bag I thought I was living like a king!

I suspect that there are as many “definitions of camping” on this forum as there are members.
ChrisJHC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby flingebunt » Wed 05 Aug, 2020 7:34 pm

ChrisJHC wrote:I suspect that there are as many “definitions of camping” on this forum as there are members.

Yeah, went camping earlier in the year when it was hot. Put the queen bed on the balcony under a mosquito net. Not everyone can rough it like that.
flingebunt
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Queensland