Old Wengenville Tramway, Bunya Mountains National Park

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Old Wengenville Tramway, Bunya Mountains National Park

Postby Plenihan02 » Sun 09 Aug, 2020 8:52 pm

Hey all,

We went for a bit of a hike/bush bash up into the Saddle Tree Creek area of the Bunya Mountains, and found a few little places of possible historical interest. We followed the creek right up to the falls which are on an unnamed creek branching south of the main Saddle Tree Creek (nothing more than a mere trickle, at least at the moment in August), and on the way back detoured around debris in the creek bed via the southern bank. We caught onto an unnaturally flat, albeit moderately vine and log strewn track (the start of which curiously signified by a number of rusted yet unnaturally positioned steel drums [one right near the creek with yellow markings] and pieces of rusted corrugated iron [possibly left from the days of logging?]), which made going significantly easier than the creekbed. We managed to make our way along this rough trail and made it out to a clearing at a fork in Saddle Tree Creek. The route, although overgrown in parts, has been liberated from lantana, and includes at least three or four culverts, some of fairly considerable scale, and has a short section akin to some kind of a cutting. Each set of culverts were accompanied by timber round posts, in a uniform fashion. It may be possible that some of these may have been added at a later date, however it appears as though they all follow the original tramway path alongside the creek. Following it through we came to the creek, with the remnants of a timber/coarse concrete/rock bridge. Just wondering if anybody else has been through these parts, and have found any other interesting things, if these few remnants are indeed part of the old tramway, I think that they might hold some historical significance. I have a few photos of the culverts, one of the timber posts, the cutting wall and the remnants of the bridge across Saddle Tree Creek if anyone might recognise them.
Plenihan02
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Re: Old Wengenville Tramway, Bunya Mountains National Park

Postby ofuros » Tue 11 Aug, 2020 4:31 pm

Thanks for that info, Plenihan02.
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Neo » Tue 11 Aug, 2020 7:41 pm

Post some photos if you can.
Especially of a Bunya ;) it's my favourite tree.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby tomh » Wed 12 Aug, 2020 8:46 am

Many years ago I did some work at the Mt Mowbullan ABC TV transmitter up there and stayed at the guesthouse so you revived some memories. Try this for info:
https://espace.library.uq.edu.au/view/UQ:246305/Qld_heritage_v2_no9_1973_p21_p29.pdf
called the 'Bunya Mountains Tramway' there is a good map on page 4.
tomh
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Queensland