Stradbroke Island

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Stradbroke Island

Postby Freewalker68 » Sat 07 Nov, 2020 9:21 am

Hi, camping arrangements for Straddie, we are from Tassie and hike. If we took our packs and gear what spots are recommended in April. January may be a possibility. I know there is a bus service, is a car necessary. We are keen on a swimming holiday, are a family of four.
Are there any better islands? I loved the vibe of Straddie on a quick day visit. Thanks
Freewalker68
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Tasmania

Stradbroke Island

Postby RonK » Sun 08 Nov, 2020 8:31 am

No, a car is not necessary to visit North Stradroke Island. You can get a train to Cleveland, then it would be a 2 km walk to the Stradbroke Flyer water taxi. On the island there are regular bus services from Dunwich.
Amity Point, Adder Rock and Cylinder Beach all have good camping grounds, but Cylinder Beach campground is closer to the pub and 4wd vehicles are not permitted on that part of the beach.
Apart from the North Gorge Walk there are limited hiking opportunities other than along the beach. There are some interesting lakes on the island but these would be difficult (too far) to access without a car.
I am a member of a cycling Meetup and run rides there several times each year. It certainly is a lovely place to visit. Earlier this year we saw whales, dolphins, turtles and large schools of fish from the North Gorge. And there is a nice selection of cafes nearby.
We choose the cooler months, it gets very hot out on the sand in mid summer. And it's very busy during school holidays.
RonK
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Re: Stradbroke Island

Postby Freewalker68 » Tue 10 Nov, 2020 8:24 pm

Thank you
Freewalker68
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Tasmania

Postby flingebunt » Mon 14 Dec, 2020 2:59 pm

It is possible to visit and explore North Stradbroke Island without a car, though it will less convenient to get around.

The most central spot to base yourself without a car is at Dunwich, where there are 2 campgrounds, shops etc. You can swim from Dunwich and hire kayaks. But it is on the best part of the island.

The other spot for camping, the most popular spot for anyone, with a car or not, is Cylinder beach, as you have a nice swimming beach, and walks along the coast, and a nearby pub and shops. The bus will drop you off near the campground.

There are others spots for camping in that area as well, including. Flinders Beach, which you can walk to if you have a all your gear in a backpack. This is where you go if you want to avoid crowds.

Other people like Amity Point. There is a ferry from here to Moreton Island, so you can do Southern Moreton Island and North Stradbroke in a single trip.

From Dunwich, you can get transport to see much of the island. Take the bus to Point Lookout, then walk back along the cliffs to Cylinder beach. You can hire bicycles and cycle out to Brown and Blue lakes. You can comfortably walk to Brown Lake, or do a longer hike to Blue Lake. You can also walk to Blue Lake, then walk on Main Beach, walk 12 kms up the beach to Point Lookout and then take the bus back from there. Not exactly the most fun walk ever, but doable.
flingebunt
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Baka Dasai » Sat 19 Dec, 2020 9:21 pm

I've stayed at Straddie a few times without a car. It's fine. I've taken my bike a few times, and that's been great.

One thing I'd add - the water taxi people send a shuttle bus to meet the train at Cleveland. They don't wait around though, so when you get off the train you need to immediately head straight out the exit and look for the shuttle.
Baka Dasai
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Return to Queensland