Platypus at Risk. Petersons Creek Walk, Yungaburra 4884

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Platypus at Risk. Petersons Creek Walk, Yungaburra 4884

Postby Platypus Patrol » Sun 14 Feb, 2021 11:32 am

This walk has been reported as on of the 2 best Platypus viewing spots in Queensland and is used on a daily basis by locals visitors from all over Australia and overseas and when tourism is normal hosts daily guided walks by tourism operators.
The Department of Science and Environment have recently been involved with attempting to capture a platypus with a plastic ring around it's neck which is an ongoing problem

The walk has been in existence as a track along the Creek margin separated by a wire fence from agricultural land since I believe the 1970s and and for more than 10 years has been regularly re-vegetated and maintained by Yungaburra Landcare Group Inc. who receive some Public Funding They have regularly consulted with the Tablelands Regional Council and Government advisors regarding the work they do.

The boundary fence is of some antiquity and largely follows the outer bank of the water course. I suspect that it would conform approximately to the 2010 riparian boundary changes in QLD

The owner of the adjoining rough pasture was a willing participant in permitting Public Use of this land until recently. I do not know if there was an formal documented agreement.
The owner has recently taken to making unlikely and incorrect claims regarding the affect that the Walk is having on his livestock and is threatening to close the Walk, erect gates and fences and exclude the public from the area.

Can any of your members offer any advice regarding the likely legal status of these threats and any action that might be taken to prevent it. :mrgreen: :x
Attachments
P1040222.jpg
Platypus with ring around neck.
Platypus Patrol
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Return to Queensland