Logan's Ridge

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Logan's Ridge

Postby epiclad25 » Wed 31 Aug, 2022 12:09 pm

Hello all,

Just climbed Logan's Ridge for the first time and am keen to scout out more routes. I have my eyes on Eagles Ridge but I am just interested as to how they compare? Robert Rankin rates Eagles Ridge as lower but I don't know whether he takes into account every aspect etc.
epiclad25
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Re: Logan's Ridge

Postby CBee » Wed 31 Aug, 2022 1:02 pm

This is my personal list of Barney routes, in order of difficulty (top the most difficult). Based of a mix between physical and technical.
Leaning Ridges
Eagles
Isolated SE
Mezzanine
North Ridge
Middle SE
Barney Gorge
Logan's
Tom's Tum E ridge
Barrabools
Spur
Midget
Savages
Saddle to West Peak
Rocky creek
SE ridge
Isolated Creek
Paesant's

Not sure if I forgot something. But again, this is personal. You talk to other more experience Barney hikers and will give you another list.
CBee
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby epiclad25 » Wed 31 Aug, 2022 1:53 pm

thanks. I thought that would be more like how it would come up as eagles is a long ridge etc
epiclad25
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby CBee » Wed 31 Aug, 2022 2:11 pm

Eagles is a long ridge, starting al LP and finishing at East Peak. It has about 1500m of altitude gain, several serious scrambles, some with exposure (eagles slabs), a series of steep up and down and a fair amount of scrub and loose terrain. Also, a couple of abseils are handy, to avoid scouting some very steep downclimbs. For my pace, is at least a 12hrs+ day, considering you'll have to descend. This makes eagles ridge, to me, the second hardest behind the obvious two Leanings ridges. Logan's is a walk in the park if compared to eagles.
CBee

Postby IDP » Wed 31 Aug, 2022 4:30 pm

It is interesting that you rate North so high. I’ve only done Savages, South, Mezzanine, standard SE, Logans, and North. On the 4 or more times up North (all of them continuing to East Peak then down SE), I’ve never found it very difficult at all (maybe apart from the increasing amount of scrub bashing from the cairn on Logans across Rocky Creek to North proper that is). Whereas I still find Logans more challenging despite having done it many times. Similarly with the crux on Savages.
Not criticising, just interesting how we all view difficulty differently.
IDP
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby CBee » Wed 31 Aug, 2022 5:37 pm

IDP wrote:It is interesting that you rate North so high. I’ve only done Savages, South, Mezzanine, standard SE, Logans, and North. On the 4 or more times up North (all of them continuing to East Peak then down SE), I’ve never found it very difficult at all (maybe apart from the increasing amount of scrub bashing from the cairn on Logans across Rocky Creek to North proper that is). Whereas I still find Logans more challenging despite having done it many times. Similarly with the crux on Savages.
Not criticising, just interesting how we all view difficulty differently.

I rate north higher for 2 reasons: the lower part is very scrubby and infested with vines ATM, very slow going. The upper part, I follow the rocky ridge proper, without escaping to the gullies. I stay on the rock. And this is an exposed continuous scramble. Unlike logan's, where you have short scrambly sections and none of them are particularly exposed, on north, the position on that particular section (probably just 150-200m) is more delicate and a fall most likely lethal. But yes, we all see difficulty differently. For example, I don't remember finding any particular difficulty on the final chimney on savages, before the summit, where everybody seem like mentioning a compulsory rockclimbing move. If my memory serves me, the only single hard move on any bushwalking barney route, is the boulder problem at the top of the chimney on short leaning ridge.
CBee

Postby IDP » Thu 01 Sep, 2022 6:51 am

I guess that is one of the more interesting aspects of most routes up Barney: one can choose different adventures - often with somewhat different challenges - on any given ridge

And yes, as mentioned, the scrub on the approach to North from Logans is reasonably intense. Fortunately it abates once on the ridge proper though
IDP
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby gbagua » Thu 01 Sep, 2022 1:02 pm

epiclad25 wrote:Hello all,
I have my eyes on Eagles Ridge but I am just interested as to how they compare? Robert Rankin rates Eagles Ridge as lower but I don't know whether he takes into account every aspect etc.

Logans is a WALK IN THE PARK in every aspect. Short and relatively easy from the fitness perspective. Little navigation issues.
gbagua

Postby CBee » Thu 01 Sep, 2022 4:19 pm

To me, Logan's ridge is not a walk in the park in every aspect. I have respect for this route. 20 Years ago there was no clear path but navigation was still easy, after all it's a ridge. Provide you are not in a white out. There are few sections higher up, where you are scrambling often over drops, on wet rock or grabbing tree roots. From the fitness point of view, I find this moderate. 1000m of altitude gain in 3 hrs for me and another 2.5/3hrs descent sounds easy but I have seen many people struggling on it. Barney is never a walk in the park, but Eagles Ridge is another thing.
CBee

Postby gbagua » Sat 03 Sep, 2022 2:31 pm

I never said Barney is a walk in the park; I was comparing Logans (primary school Maths) with Eagles (PhD in Astrophysics). It's a beast! Can't believe Rankin rates Eagles lower than Logans. It's absurd.
gbagua

Postby CBee » Sat 03 Sep, 2022 4:40 pm

gbagua wrote:I never said Barney is a walk in the park

My apologies. I misread your previous post.
CBee

Postby Iamspartacus » Wed 07 Sep, 2022 8:18 pm

Hi Epiclad25

Logan's is such a great route! Really nice and direct. I love the view over the east face, and then pow! it spits you out right on the east summit.

Eagles is beautiful. Kind of a different dimension/aspect of Barney though. Feels more bushwalking/alpine than scrambling. Like the others have said it's a bigger day, and the scrambling is bigger/more sustained. I've only done it once, but if I recall correctly the slabs up to North (North East?) have a bit more exposure, rather than just little bits and pieces like on Logan's. We did it in a fairly gnarley storm and roped up for that bit. I remember when I got to the top of the slabs all the shrubs were sparkling with rain on them and the sky was suddenly blue. Quite astonishing. Anyway I'm just repeating what others have said. Have fun and play safe. Unless of course you've already done it in which case pla share a report/pics.
Iamspartacus
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australia

Return to Queensland