Hike on Fraser Island

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Hike on Fraser Island

Postby franckbw » Sun 16 Jul, 2023 8:25 pm

Hello,
I will spend one day on Fraser Island starting from River Heads this August.
I am planning to arrive at Kingfisher Bay with the first ferry in the morning (6.45 am), walk both ways to lake Mc Kenzie and take the ferry back (5 pm), which should be around 24 km.
Does this sound realistic to you and is there better/safer options for a one-day hike on the island ?
franckbw
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Other Country

Re: Hike on Fraser Island

Postby myrtlegirl » Mon 17 Jul, 2023 12:11 pm

I get different results from different sites.

This site says 20km, 5.5hr return: trailhiking.com.au/hikes/kingfisher-bay-resort-lake-mckenzie-return-route-1/#:~:text=Kingfisher%20Bay%20Resort%20%2D%20Lake%20McKenzie%20is%20a%2020km%2C%20grade%203,around%205%20hrs%20to%20complete.

The Parks Qld site seems to say 13.8km oneway is 5.5hrs: https://parks.des.qld.gov.au/parks/kgar ... ing%20time.

Contact Kingfisher Resort for the best local info
myrtlegirl
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby sandym » Mon 17 Jul, 2023 7:16 pm

It's a fine walk. I'm not sure it's super interesting. We did it as part of a partial "great walk" and it was easy. The lake is a bit "instafamous" so when you get there it will be stuffed with backpackers on tours and 4WD people. Honestly, I think Central Station, Wangoollba Creek and Pile Valley is more interesting.

Safety is a personal concept. There have been some dingo attacks lately but those are still the exception not the rule. Australia is by and large, venomous snakes, spiders and box jellyfish notwithstanding a very safe country.
sandym
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby Earthling » Tue 18 Jul, 2023 3:39 pm

sandym wrote:Safety is a personal concept. There have been some dingo attacks lately but those are still the exception not the rule. Australia is by and large, venomous snakes, spiders and box jellyfish notwithstanding a very safe country.

When I did the walk back in '06/'07 I twice saw people feed dingoes. This is the problem. One even let their small child feed one. I have been waiting for the attacks to start... :/
Sent from my home planet Earth using the World Wide Web
Earthling
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby franckbw » Tue 18 Jul, 2023 4:43 pm

Thank you very much for your answer. The other options sound indeed more interesting. For a one-day hike, should I rather take the ferry arriving at Wangoollba Creek and walk up to central station from there ?

sandym wrote:It's a fine walk. I'm not sure it's super interesting. We did it as part of a partial "great walk" and it was easy. The lake is a bit "instafamous" so when you get there it will be stuffed with backpackers on tours and 4WD people. Honestly, I think Central Station, Wangoollba Creek and Pile Valley is more interesting.

Safety is a personal concept. There have been some dingo attacks lately but those are still the exception not the rule. Australia is by and large, venomous snakes, spiders and box jellyfish notwithstanding a very safe country.
franckbw
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Other Country

Postby sandym » Tue 18 Jul, 2023 5:24 pm

Sounds a better option to me but YMMV.
sandym

Region: New South Wales

Return to Queensland