Find people to walk or share transport with. Topics deleted after 365 idle days.
1 This website is not a bushwalking club.
2 Users take responsibility for all actions arising from meetings made via this website.
3 Be totally self-sufficient – your own tent, stove, gear, etc.
4 Walkers under the age of 18 and/or those walking with them should raise the trip with the under 18's parents or legal guardians.
5 Please lock your thread when it is no longer needed. Moderators may lock threads without notice.More details on these guidelines
There is a separate forum specifically for finding the Overland Track companions and transport
Sat 19 Sep, 2020 5:02 pm
I'm going to be at Pretty Valley for a winter camp next year. I have a couple of mates lined up to join me at some time. Open invitation to anybody else who wants to join in.
Might be a good opportunity for first time snow campers to do a first overnite in relative safety.
Dates to be announced closer to the winter but August is usually the best snow. Lets hope there is some next year.
A pre-season dump of firewood may take place if there is a lot of interest but otherwise it will be self catering unless something else is worked out well in advance
Sat 19 Sep, 2020 11:07 pm
Reckon the border will be open by then?
Sent from my Mi 9 Lite using Tapatalk
Sun 20 Sep, 2020 6:44 am
I think it will be open by X-Mas
Mon 21 Sep, 2020 6:39 pm
I was planning to go snow camping for the first time in August but then lockdown 2.0 messed my plans, so 2021 now... How's access to the Pretty Valley campground in winter? Is it accessible by car, or do you leave the car at Falls Creek and hike there? Definitely keen to do an overnight or two in snow next year.
Mon 21 Sep, 2020 8:48 pm
lbogliolo wrote:I was planning to go snow camping for the first time in August but then lockdown 2.0 messed my plans, so 2021 now... How's access to the Pretty Valley campground in winter? Is it accessible by car, or do you leave the car at Falls Creek and hike there? Definitely keen to do an overnight or two in snow next year.
You walk or ski in, it's an easy 1 to 3 hour trip or an 8 hour nightmare depending on conditions, it's about 5 klicks along a good track.
You have to pay for parking in the village so this is best done by car pooling or bus. Winter costs are high
Sun 27 Sep, 2020 10:14 am
I looked it up and seems like a cool place for a first time overnight on snow. Planning on getting some snowshoes and going next year, will get in touch if you'll be there moondog!
Sun 27 Sep, 2020 4:21 pm
I'll be there for sure.
It is the actual dates and time period I'm unsure about at this stage. There have been a couple of good gatherings there in the past.
Tue 23 Feb, 2021 5:52 am
There will be no snow camp for me this coming season
Cecile got a tiny pay rise and they have cancelled my pension
Tue 30 Mar, 2021 12:13 pm
While my personal funds will be low the camp will go ahead with Ceciles financial assistance for fuel money.
So sometime after Easter and before the roads close I'll head up and make my usual pre-season drop of the shovel etc for the hut.
Tue 30 Mar, 2021 4:03 pm
I am hoping for a multi dayer starting at PV sometime in April. Timing will driven by the weather forecast and decided on at very short notice, so co-ordinating anything is unlikely to be possible.
Keep us updated and maybe I can assist with goforing or some sort of transport or whatever. If I can't - no harm done.
Tue 30 Mar, 2021 4:59 pm
Well maybe you could stash some firelighters in the hut but I'll probably be there much closer to end of May.
Tue 30 Mar, 2021 5:46 pm
I'm thinking to go for a walk around there in the second half of April. Driving down from the north.
Sat 24 Apr, 2021 9:52 pm
I might see you in July, MD - trying out my pulk and the old heavier but more luxurious tent - but might go Cope Hut way first... hauling supplies up Wombats Ramble might be a bit exhausting..! If you’re there at PV I’ll pop in for a cuppa.
Sun 25 Apr, 2021 1:31 pm
Still planning to go but so far no planning or sewing has taken place. Loosing my pension payment has put a big hole in my preparations.
Sat 15 May, 2021 2:02 pm
Snow Camp 2021 is ON
I'm packing up the basecamp stuff now and driving up on Wednesday late and hoping the road to PV gets re-opened on Thursday or Friday.
So far people have told me that they plan to arrive 9th / 10th July and stay for a week.
Tue 25 May, 2021 11:19 am
There will be room in the vehicle for a couple of people if anybody wants a lift up the hill and can meet me at Kalkallo late on Wednesday.
Unfortunately the road is closed so I'll be playing leapfrog with gear for at least 4 days. The others are also making their dumps this weekend
Wed 26 May, 2021 8:07 am
So far so good
Is the road closure that you refer to the road from the BHP road in to PV ??
I'm surprised that it has been necessary to close that, although there are a couple of spots where a small drift across the road could be a problem for the unwary or inexperienced. Administrative over caution perhaps ?
On the upside, closing the road will make your stuff much more secure.
Do you have dates for your sojourn yet ?
Wed 26 May, 2021 8:39 am
There are two boomgate closures on the PV road, the first right at Windy corner and the second just past the Southern Hydro workshop. The one that is closed at the moment is that second gate.
I have been told that there is no snow on the road at all except for that small section that goes over Wombats ramble and that is because they have been making snow early.
I'm not even sure if the closure is legal this early because under the terms of the lease they are "obliged" to keep access to the High Plains open, although the lift company have been ignoring several section within the resort boundary for close to a decade now
Wed 26 May, 2021 11:40 am
Hmmm. Perhaps my speculation of "administrative caution" could be more accurately expressed as "Lazy p*r*i*c*k*s" ???
Too many actions restricting access seem to be based on the "because we can" school of thought
Wed 26 May, 2021 2:53 pm
As for your other question I will set-up then come back for a short while
Going through a rough patch domestically and we need to get away from home for a short break
Sat 29 May, 2021 10:09 am
Well damn Covid
Sun 30 May, 2021 12:04 pm
Damn covid indeed.
I fluked it and left home very early Thursday. Had no idea about lockdown until I got out of the bush yesterday arvo.
On the upside, I found out that I can still carry 19kgs OK provided the hills aren't too steep, BUT after two days, I need a rest day. Much better with 12kgs
Mon 07 Jun, 2021 8:25 pm
Double damn and blast this Covid germ.
Between the skin cancer and the WuShu Flu not much is happening with the base camp set-up and stashing gear. But notwithstanding these small problems something will happen
Sat 03 Jul, 2021 12:08 pm
Marginal snow still but headed up either Monday PM late or Tuesday AM as early as I can wake up; if before 4AM then I'll beat the morning traffic otherwise after 10AM departure from Geelong. I'll have a seat spare if anybody wants a lift up. Maybe two seats if I can get most of the gear into the rooftop box, that depends on how much gear you have.
Post here and PM me if interested in sharing a ride
Mon 05 Jul, 2021 8:43 am
The seat has been taken.
I'll let Cecile do any further posts in the short term
See you if I see you but so far the W/E of the 9th seems to have the most people turning up
Mon 02 Aug, 2021 9:06 am
Between Covid lockdowns and the current pandemic restrictions I may not get a chance to go back
Therefore closing the thread for another year
© Bushwalk Australia and contributors 2007-2013.