Carpooling to Ben Boyd NP - Light to light

Find people to walk or share transport with. Topics deleted after 365 idle days.
Forum rules
1 This website is not a bushwalking club.
2 Users take responsibility for all actions arising from meetings made via this website.
3 Be totally self-sufficient – your own tent, stove, gear, etc.
4 Walkers under the age of 18 and/or those walking with them should raise the trip with the under 18's parents or legal guardians.
5 Please lock your thread when it is no longer needed. Moderators may lock threads without notice.
More details on these guidelines

There is a separate forum specifically for finding the Overland Track companions and transport.

Carpooling to Ben Boyd NP - Light to light

Postby eltiomolonio » Wed 28 Oct, 2020 11:27 pm

Hi,

I am new to the forum, so I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post, but my wife and I are walking the Light to Light track in Ben Boyd NP between 10 and 12 November, and I was wondering if someone else might be considering those dates and would like to carpool. From what I've been researching, getting a transfer/taxi will be in the line of $250 per carload. We will be driving one car, so if someone else is in the same situation, we could leave one car at Green Cape and the other at Boyd's Tower.
Alternatively, if someone is getting a transfer we could share the ride to at least save some money.
I'm guessing my last option is walking the track both ways, which from what I've gathered wouldn't be excessive for 3 days, but may be a bit boring?

Thanks in advance for your replies/advice.
eltiomolonio
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Carpooling to Ben Boyd NP - Light to light

Postby sandym » Fri 30 Oct, 2020 12:54 pm

I am really happy to see that they are reopening the walk after the fires. I have kayaked past a few times since the fires and the change has been shocking!

We did the walk over two days a few years ago with just one car. This is quite easy as the walk is only 30 km and not much elevation gain as the hills are small. I dropped my husband at Boyd Tower and he started walking south, while I drove to the Lighthouse parked and started walking north. We camped at Hegartys Bay which was about half way and is a small bush camp (there was a stream for water and should be now as we have had good rain down here). After Hegartys, I walked north and finished the walk and he walked south and picked up the car, drove north and picked me up.

If you are left with a spare day as you planned three but only take two, you could walk into Merica River from Greenglades and get a little taste of the Nadgee.
sandym
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby eltiomolonio » Fri 30 Oct, 2020 10:08 pm

Thanks a lot for the tips. We wanted to walk together, though, so it still won't work for us.
We are considering driving to Saltwater Creek first and walk to Boyds Tower and back on the first day, then driving again to Bittangabee, walk the middle section both ways, and on the third day walk from Bittangabee to Green Cape and back. It's not ideal, and we would be walking 60 km instead of 30 (basically walking the full track both ways, but section by section).
On the bright side, we wouldn't need to carry the camping gear and water for three days, as we would return to the car at each campground at the end of every day.
Are the roads to Saltwater Creek and Bittangabee too bad for a 2WD? Should we rent a 4WD instead?
Thanks again!
eltiomolonio
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby sandym » Mon 02 Nov, 2020 6:36 pm

The roads are good gravel roads and significantly better since the fires! I think you will really enjoy it there as it is a beautiful place, even charred as it is.
sandym
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby eltiomolonio » Mon 02 Nov, 2020 6:50 pm

Great, thanks again for the information!
Let's just hope it doesn't pour like the last few days. Fingers crossed :)
eltiomolonio
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Find Walking Companions or Arrange Transport