Port Davey & South Coast Track January 2021 Buddy

Find people to walk or share transport with. Topics deleted after 365 idle days.
Forum rules
1 This website is not a bushwalking club.
2 Users take responsibility for all actions arising from meetings made via this website.
3 Be totally self-sufficient – your own tent, stove, gear, etc.
4 Walkers under the age of 18 and/or those walking with them should raise the trip with the under 18's parents or legal guardians.
5 Please lock your thread when it is no longer needed. Moderators may lock threads without notice.
More details on these guidelines

There is a separate forum specifically for finding the Overland Track companions and transport.

Port Davey & South Coast Track January 2021 Buddy

Postby Fruitbat » Sun 29 Nov, 2020 4:47 pm

Hi,
Would like to to do the Port Davey and South Coast Track in January and looking for someone to partner with.
Me: Canadian born, 40, living in Sydney. Fair bit of outdoor experience: Kokoda Trail solo in both directions, Aconcagua, Kilimanjaro, week long jungle treks in Indonesia, Great North Walk, Heysen Trail, Israil Trail etc. Have traveled to over 75 countries, and have a few stories to share.
My experience in Tas is limited to Frenchman's cap, a few days hike around Moriah Island, and some day walks.
My idea is to leave up to 14 days to complete the two trails. I don't travel on Saturday being the Sabbath and will take this as a rest day. General idea, leave on a Monday for the Port Davey. Arrive Friday Melaleuca. Spend Saturday there and hike the next week along the South Coast Track.
Anyone interested?
-Ben
Last edited by Fruitbat on Mon 30 Nov, 2020 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fruitbat
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Port Davey & South Coast Track January 2020 Buddy

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 30 Nov, 2020 7:50 am

I assume you mean January 2021, not 2020? :-)

I'd love to do this trip, but can't get that much free time at that time of year.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Re: Port Davey & South Coast Track January 2021 Buddy

Postby Fruitbat » Mon 30 Nov, 2020 12:21 pm

Yes, thank you 2021 it is.
Was planning on doing the trip this past Feb/Mar but went to Nepal instead. Went to Everest Region. Was awesome being there with only three people at Basecamp instead of thousands. Wanted to hike more, but the country went into lockdown and the army kicked us out of the park. Awesome trip.
Fruitbat
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby north-north-west » Mon 30 Nov, 2020 2:53 pm

Given what you've done solo, these two should be no problem. Besides, there will be heaps of people on the SCT so you can always find someone - or a group - with whom to buddy up.
A word of warning: the Port Davey Track is relatively infrequently travelled, boggy, overgrown, and occasionally a little tricky to follow. The two rivers - Crossing and Spring - are also prone to flooding after rain (the area immediately east of the Spring is particularly bad), as is Woureddy Creek. Be prepared to wait out bad weather/conditions.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby wander » Tue 01 Dec, 2020 10:47 am

I strongly suggest you be flexible with your rest days and proceed when the weather is fine and take rest days when it is inclement (rain) or you are held up by river flows.

It it typically important to travel while you can weather wise in South West Tassie.
wander
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: South Australia

Postby Fruitbat » Wed 02 Dec, 2020 3:06 pm

Thank you NNW and Wander for your response.
Fruitbat
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Find Walking Companions or Arrange Transport