Larapinta food drops and transfer late July to early August

Find people to walk or share transport with. Topics deleted after 365 idle days.
Forum rules
1 This website is not a bushwalking club.
2 Users take responsibility for all actions arising from meetings made via this website.
3 Be totally self-sufficient – your own tent, stove, gear, etc.
4 Walkers under the age of 18 and/or those walking with them should raise the trip with the under 18's parents or legal guardians.
5 Please lock your thread when it is no longer needed. Moderators may lock threads without notice.
More details on these guidelines

There is a separate forum specifically for finding the Overland Track companions and transport.

Larapinta food drops and transfer late July to early August

Postby spr » Thu 24 Jun, 2021 8:51 am

Hi colleagues,

I'm planning Larapinta trail E2E with many side trips (possibly including Chewing ranges) in 18 days, starting July 21..22.
No logistics (except flexible plane tickets Jul 21 to Aug 9th) arranged yet.

Looking for a company to do food drops and transfer.
Ideally want to do food drops, then start E2W and then - time-dependent - either hitchhike back, or walk half way back and do Chewings ranges detour.
Can try to book LTTS (if enough people), or rent a car for a day (might be $70 rent + fuel) for food drops (I can drop someone at Redbank Gorge, then drive back to Alice and start walking E2W).
My dates are flexible within few days, pls let me know if any ideas.

Cheers,
Eugene
spr
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Larapinta food drops and transfer late July to early Aug

Postby Rai » Thu 24 Jun, 2021 8:34 pm

Hi Eugene,

I am planning to do a couple of sections without food drop during end August/early Sept. Only doing four days due to time constraints. After doing a facebook search, I found that people were recommending two companies - Outback Elite Tours and A&P Hire. I contacted them and they were both very approachable and willing to help. So I booked my drop off at Ormiston and pick up at Redbank with one of them. I didn't contact LTTS because they had a notice on their website stating that they were very busy and not taking general enquiries.

If you haven't already contacted these two companies, it may be worth having a chat.

My transport to and from Alice Springs ended up costing more than the return flight from Launceston. But I don't begrudge struggling tourism and hospitality businesses. Perhaps the comparatively low airfares also reflect how efficient airlines are.

All the best,
Rai
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Postby spr » Thu 24 Jun, 2021 11:39 pm

Thanks Rai!
I haven't realized that Outback Elite Tours are also doing food drops (and don't require a mandatory transfer on top), will try to ask them

Cheers !
spr
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby puredingo » Fri 25 Jun, 2021 2:47 pm

Hi Eugene and Rai.

I WAS planning on doing this walk on about the 17th thru to the 23 of July...or thereabouts. Unfortunately covid has struck here and atm I'm red zoned.

If anything changes and it works out, happy to share costs etc to make things easier.

Cheers.
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Rai » Mon 28 Jun, 2021 1:49 pm

puredingo wrote:Hi Eugene and Rai.

I WAS planning on doing this walk on about the 17th thru to the 23 of July...or thereabouts. Unfortunately covid has struck here and atm I'm red zoned.

If anything changes and it works out, happy to share costs etc to make things easier.

Cheers.

PM sent
Rai
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Postby spr » Tue 06 Jul, 2021 8:05 am

Gentlemen,
finger crossed for you, but indeed - not likely that NT would open borders to Sydney within July.

[Believe that] I have booked a food drop to Ormiston with Outback Elite on July 22nd.
Just in case anyone is also late with planning and wants to share it (or add another one) any day late July - pls message me
spr
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby spr » Fri 30 Jul, 2021 8:41 pm

Plans altered/postponed to August 11th-23rd.
E2W in 10 days, no food drops (unless I'd join someone).
Company is still welcome.
spr
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Find Walking Companions or Arrange Transport