Walls of Jerusalem 19 - 24 Mar

Find people to walk or share transport with. Topics deleted after 365 idle days.
Forum rules
1 This website is not a bushwalking club.
2 Users take responsibility for all actions arising from meetings made via this website.
3 Be totally self-sufficient – your own tent, stove, gear, etc.
4 Walkers under the age of 18 and/or those walking with them should raise the trip with the under 18's parents or legal guardians.
5 Please lock your thread when it is no longer needed. Moderators may lock threads without notice.
More details on these guidelines

There is a separate forum specifically for finding the Overland Track companions and transport.

Walls of Jerusalem 19 - 24 Mar

Postby thoyeabout » Wed 21 Feb, 2024 2:18 pm

G'day Hikers, I've just learnt the cost between Launceston and the start for Walls of Jerusalem is $380 each way. So $760 total. I wasn't expecting that. Is anyone doing Walls of Jerusalem around 19 -24 Mar that might be able to include an extra person. Or does anyone know of a cheaper way to get between Launceston and the start point.

Any advice appreciated

Todd
thoyeabout
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Walls of Jerusalem 19 - 24 Mar

Postby vagrom » Wed 21 Feb, 2024 3:35 pm

Well certainly, unless things have changed in 5 years, public transport will take you from Lonnie to Deloraine and then on to ( evening bus) Mole Creek which has a hotel.

Back then, Deloraine's taxi driver would take you to Higgs Track (Westrope Rd) for $70 in 2018. That price was steady for some years. I forget her name. Someone on this Forum once did a deal with the Mole Ck hotel that saw them dropped and/or picked up at the Walls carpark. But that is definitely not a certainty.The guy who runs Tiergear in Deloraine, Simon(?), once offered to make himself available to anyone needing a lift in those parts.

But it's likely you're too pressed for time to consider the above possibilities.
Surgite et .. andiamo!
vagrom
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: WalkingSA, Frnd Cleland/Bushcare, Alltrails
Region: South Australia

Postby thoyeabout » Sat 24 Feb, 2024 9:48 pm

Looks like I'm committed to it. Frustrating to realise the cost of return flights between Sydney and Launceston plus the cost of accommodation the night before and after the hike is still less than the bus fare.
thoyeabout
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby vagrom » Sun 25 Feb, 2024 2:55 pm

For your next trip do consider the Higgs Track option and from there the Walls are just one of your options overland via Lakes Nameless and Gwendy. I bus to Needles and have always hitched a lift to the Westrope Rd. Lots of small businesses on the Dairy Plains.

At Lady Lake Hut you can do last prep. and there's a good track to Ironstone Hut at the south end of Nameless but you have to be prepared for snow year-round and thick white-outs that leave you blind. Good nav. training. Mt Ironstone may play with your compass. So get to the Walls by a back door (read Chapman's Cradle-St Clair) and you may get a lift out at least to Mole Creek. It's very popular in season. I like to walk down to Cynthia Bay.

Lonnie to Deloraine: 4 Redline "Intercity" services daily, mon-fri ; $10.20 full fare, taking 50 mins. ( but Sat and Sun/PubHols: 2 services each )
Attachments
Screenshot_2019-06-04-00-06-02-2.png
Lady Lake Hut
Screenshot_2019-06-04-00-06-02-2.png (520.08 KiB) Viewed 989 times
Surgite et .. andiamo!
vagrom

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: WalkingSA, Frnd Cleland/Bushcare, Alltrails
Region: South Australia

Postby thoyeabout » Thu 29 Feb, 2024 8:48 pm

Thanks for all the tips. A plan has evolved. When coming from interstate to do solo hikes it's often hard to get a clear plan and local knowledge is, well, local!
thoyeabout
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Find Walking Companions or Arrange Transport