11 Days Larapinta: Standley Chasm => Redbank Gorge

SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

11 Days Larapinta: Standley Chasm => Redbank Gorge

Postby bongoman » Mon 31 May, 2021 11:25 am

I'm looking to take 11 days to get from Standley Chasm to Redbank Gorge, that is Sections 4 -12 of the Larapinta Trail.

If I were to follow the suggestions here: https://nt.gov.au/leisure/parks-reserve ... inta-trail
they recommend that sections 4,5,6, 9 & 11 be done in two days each which would mean taking 12-13 days to do stages 4 - 12.

So obviously I need to do some of these 2 day stages in 1 day — any thoughts on which stages out of 4,5,6, 9 and/or 11 following would be best done in one day?

How best to approach Standley Chasm to Redbank Gorge with a day to Mt Sonder and return, in 11 days total walking time?

Many thanks
bongoman
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Western Australia

Re: 11 Days Larapinta: Standley Chasm => Redbank Gorge

Postby ChrisJHC » Mon 31 May, 2021 5:35 pm

It took me 8 days to get from Standley Chasm to Redbank Gorge. Day 9 was Mt Sonder for sunrise then a morning transfer back to Alice.

Longest day was 31km (Hugh Gorge Junction to Ellery Creek). The rest were all around 20km.

A couple of dry camps at Counts Point and Waterfall Gorge. The rest were at trailheads.
ChrisJHC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby bongoman » Tue 01 Jun, 2021 7:08 am

Thanks! That's helpful — sounds like I can set my own stages and ignore the recommended pacing. I'm aiming for a rest day maybe at Ormiston. I'll probably aim to avoid the main camp sites as I expect them to be very busy this season.
bongoman
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Western Australia

Postby north-north-west » Tue 01 Jun, 2021 3:13 pm

There are heaps of places to camp apart from the official sites. Just make sure you load up with water at every opportunity.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Ndevr » Tue 01 Jun, 2021 6:53 pm

north-north-west wrote:There are heaps of places to camp apart from the official sites. Just make sure you load up with water at every opportunity.

Couldn't agree with NNW more.
My experience was signifcantly enhanced by only camping at 3 designated section campsites, over the full trail of 12 nights; being Redbank, Ormiston & Hugh.
As NNW states, you just need to carry some extra water at times, but well worth it, to fully immerse in the experience. Camping up high is spectacular.
But each to their own, some prefer to have the facilities where they camp, and have fellow bushwalkers to converse with, that's cool to, personal preference.
Either way you're going to have a blast!

Ndevr
Ndevr
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Equivocator » Fri 04 Jun, 2021 2:18 pm

I did the entire Trail in 12 days (first and last were 1/2 days) so it's definitely possible.

Echoing the other comments that there are plenty of good places to camp.
Equivocator
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Return to South Australia, Western Australia & Northern Territory