Bringing home dehydrated meals into WA

SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Bringing home dehydrated meals into WA

Postby adg » Sat 12 Jun, 2021 2:16 pm

Not sure if this has already been asked of the brains trust, but my Google-fu is failing me :( .

Planning to to hike (at least some parts of) the Bibbulmun later this year - COVID restrictions permitting. For this sort of trip, I'd normally take some homemade meals that I've made in advance and dehydrated. But, when I look at the WA quarantine FAQs (https://www.agric.wa.gov.au/exporting-animals/quarantine-frequently-asked-questions), I'm now wondering if they'd get confiscated.

Can anyone share any war stories? Is posting re-supply boxes from Vic better/worse than carrying in on flight, then posting from Perth?

Or should I just give up now and buy commercial freeze-dry/Strive meals?
adg
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Bringing home dehydrated meals into WA

Postby Lophophaps » Tue 15 Jun, 2021 6:59 pm

I suggest contacting the WA Department of Primary Industry and Regional Development. If you can come to an agreement your food has been dried to a commercial standard they may allow you to take the food into WA. I dried eggs last year and had them tested. they were well within the standard. I dried them for longer than was advised in the drier instruction manual.

Another possibility is vacuum sealing. This creates a good impression of a high standard.

Freeze dry is nice but bulky, expensive and low on energy.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby andrewp » Tue 15 Jun, 2021 9:54 pm

Our group took dehydrated meals in 2009 without any problem. I don't remember it being inspected.

Your referenced FAQ clearly states cooked food is OK.

9. Can I bring cooked food and/or tinned food in?

Yes, all cooked food and/or tinned food is allowed entry into WA.

We also bought in dehydrated fruit that was certainly as dry as commercial products.
andrewp
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby adg » Wed 16 Jun, 2021 9:02 am

Thanks folks - much appreciated.

I did send an enquiry to Quarantine WA, but the wheels of govt, blah, blah, blah...

Anyway they did respond, and confirmed that pre-cooking is the key thing. Vacuum sealing isn't necessary, although I might just get a vacuum sealer anyway, coz they look like fun!

edit: Although not totally relevant, they did also link to https://www.agric.wa.gov.au/exporting-western-australia/quarantine-information-private-travellers, which gives a bit more detail on what the inspectors are looking for.
adg
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Lophophaps » Wed 16 Jun, 2021 12:16 pm

Consider taking a printed copy of the Quarantine WA advice with you. Also, a list of the food, showing that it has been cooked would show that you are genuine. A table with columns Food .. After cooking weight .. after drying weight will make it clear. My meals are often mixtures of store and home-dried ingredients, so maybe list the store ones as well. Not all the meals, just a few to show that it's okay. Vacuum sealers may be obtained second-hand, costs a lot less than new.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Return to South Australia, Western Australia & Northern Territory