Accessing the Mt Lofty walks

SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Accessing the Mt Lofty walks

Postby Solohike74 » Fri 19 Apr, 2013 11:15 pm

I heard these are accessible from Stonyfell & Burnside areas, can anyone local fill me in on the board or by PM. Looking for quiet spots to visit when I'm in Adelaide. I like seclusion, views, hill climbing, etc.
Solohike74
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA; Friends of: Bogong, The Prom, Cobberas, Baw Baw
Region: Australia

Re: Accessing the Mt Lofty walks

Postby photohiker » Sat 20 Apr, 2013 10:41 am

Yes, there are many tracks accessible from Stonyfell and Burnside. The best way of getting an overview of tracks available is via Openstreetmap, have a look here: http://osm.org/go/uFyS56Cb-?layers=C

The tracks generally have good views, some more than others though. Walking down Long Ridge track from Cleland is not terribly challenging, but the panoramic view of Adelaide and suburbs is pretty speccy.

As far as isolation is concerned, there are not that many people on the tracks during the week but the weekends do get busy, especially the Waterfall Gully to Mt Lofty track - it's like a highway on Sundays and pretty busy on Saturdays.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Maelgwn » Sat 20 Apr, 2013 7:54 pm

They are pretty busy really. Guaranteed to see at least one other group during the week and multiple at the weekend on most options.

Have a google for Cleland Conservation Park brochure. Should cover most walks from memory.
Maelgwn
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby walk2wineries » Fri 19 Jul, 2013 9:19 pm

Try this, has a link to a very good pdf map
http://www.burnside.sa.gov.au/Discover/ ... ing_Trails
Actually burnside gets up my nose; most of the access points aren't labelled and there is often not only limited parking, but the locals have gardens down to the kerb, making pedestrian access difficult. It gets up my nose because some of the access points are actually to parks maintained by Adelaide Hills Council
My only car is a motorhome - parking at Waterfall Gully can be tricky and you might consider driving to Mt Lofty and walking to Waterfall gully and back instead of vice versa.
In that area you might also like the Pioneer WOmens trail, http://www.southaustraliantrails.com/tr ... p?id=13810. I have walked that with the KeepWalking SA group; they park near the Tollgate at the bottom of the SE freeway and get the bus up to Stirling or Crafers, and walk down, branching off the PWT onto one of the Burnside trails to return.
ENjoy!
walk2wineries
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Return to South Australia, Western Australia & Northern Territory